Gibson Brands Forums

NGD J185TV

Joe M

Just picked this up NOS from one of my local Gibson dealers. I had a set of Martin Retros laying around so I thought I'd try them. They sound like they were made for the guitar, much better than the Masterbuilt's that came on it. It's the first guitar I've tried the Retros on other than a Martin, and I really like the sound on the 185. If they're like the Retros on my Martin, they'll just keep getting better and better. Curious about one thing....even though it's a CS TV with red spruce top, it has a Baggs pickup installed. I thought all TV's came without a pickup. Special order maybe?? I had one of these J185's with the Adirondack top a couple of years ago and just could never like the sound, very thin-sounding, no matter what kind of strings I tried, so I sold it. This one is completely different, big and bold, almost as big as my J200.

Anyway, here's a quick pic taken with my iPhone.

EDIT: Bummer, says the file is too large to upload...how do I make the pic smaller??

IMG_0646_zpseh6as9j1.jpg

very nice jumbo you got there!

I liked the Masterbuilts that came with the J200 I bought in March.

I've just last week, after two sets of those, trying the strings I use on my other acoustic (Elixr Nano PB 12s)

Thanks for the help, Duane. Is there anything I could have done to save you the trouble?

kid, my J185 is the first Gibby that I have that I haven't used Elixir Nano's on. It sounds so good with the Retros, I'm gonna leave well enough alone (for now, anyway :rolleyes: ) I have Elixir PB's on my J200 right now and think it sounds great with those.

Thanks for the help, Duane. Is there anything I could have done to save you the trouble?

Actually all you need to do is go to your Photobucket page and click on the image.... To the right of the image that you want to post will be the "IMG" box.... Simply click on that field where I have the arrow pointing to copy the image link. (it will shade yellow alerting you now have copied the link)...... then simply right click to paste the link in the message body of your post.

timonium_zpsxbmu3gxz.png

Archived