Gibson Brands Forums

Ambitions and regrets?

Lars68

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piano lays all of what is called "theory" right in your lap. It makes it crystal clear, it is a linear in thought and in physicality. Guitar is kinda all over the place and repetitive in not good ways compared to keys. Keys will quickly make you a much faster thinker musically. It will show you that even as you tell yourself and others that you are self-taught, don't know theory, and don't need to know it, you actually do know a lot of it, you just didn't know you did. Piano helps put it all together and is easily applied to other instruments. The guitar, not so much without lots of pushing.

rct

eeeeexxxxzackery...

I started in 2005, and I went all in. There were days on end when I didn't touch a guitar. I was practicing 2+ hours a day... I became a bit obsessed..

now, some12 years later, I can pretty much make anyone think I'm a reasonably capable piano player -- !!!ha!!! !!!SUCKERS!!!

seriously there is a reason why some of the best players started when they were under the age of 10. a very hard instrument to fully master.

Piano lays all of what is called "theory" right in your lap. It makes it crystal clear, it is a linear in thought and in physicality. Guitar is kinda all over the place and repetitive in not good ways compared to keys. Keys will quickly make you a much faster thinker musically. It will show you that even as you tell yourself and others that you are self-taught, don't know theory, and don't need to know it, you actually do know a lot of it, you just didn't know you did. Piano helps put it all together and is easily applied to other instruments. The guitar, not so much without lots of pushing.

rct

Makes sense to me because I have always heard that if you can play piano you can play pretty much anything.

I regret giving up guitar and jamming in general, etc for nearly twenty years. I could have found the balance.

And I regret horse trading as much as I have.

I also regret not becoming a teacher as a young man, money be damned.

Some wise person said you will never lay on your deathbed and wish you spent more time at the office.

rct

Exactly!

I started with piano as a kid, and it has made it much easier to deal with other instruments, not to mention theory. As RCT says, the "linearity" of the keyboard makes things much clearer: you don't have to jump from string to string. At the same time, you don't have the option of playing the same note in the same octave in different locations on a piano keyboard.

Plus, it's hard to hold a piano in your lap and play while you're sitting on the sofa in front of the TV...

Chicks still dig the guitar players.

Back when I started, it was difficult for me to imagine taking a lady to a secluded spot and seducing her by hammering on a freakin' piano, even if secluded spots came supplied with pianos😯

Exactly!

I started with piano as a kid, and it has made it much easier to deal with other instruments, not to mention theory. As RCT says, the "linearity" of the keyboard makes things much clearer: you don't have to jump from string to string. At the same time, you don't have the option of playing the same note in the same octave in different locations on a piano keyboard.

Plus, it's hard to hold a piano in your lap and play while you're sitting on the sofa in front of the TV...

To me, a guitar is a friend and a companion. A piano is a piece of furniture that makes music.

Meandering back to piano...

I grew up with one in the home. Took lessons for two years and hated it. It never touched me, and frankly the teacher probably had something to do with it too. I still don't read music.

Fast forward to my home... we have a baby grand in the living room. My wife plays occasionally. My middle son plays occasionally when he is home from college. That really about it, and it's sad I suppose. I can play the thing in the weakest sense... I have a good ear and can sit down and play any song in my head... but in "a guitar way". My left hand plays bass notes ... and sometimes alternating bass notes, and my right hand plays the chords/melody. This contrasts with a real player who not only can read, but who also plays the whole piano in harmony.

By the way it needs a tuning every six months, and it has a humidifier as well.... it needs tending to just like my guitars.

I grew up with one in the home.

I would like to try songwriting via the piano - should offer a different inspiring angle.

We didn't have piano at home, , , but 4 of my 6 grandparents had and I played them frequently through all the years I came there.

Well, played and played, , , pressed down the black'n'white keys in simple, but structured combinations.

No Mozart, but at a very early age I managed to compose a one-note-at-the-time piece on the lower ebony register.

A rather dramatic and melodic sequence, which gradually and slowly grew over a period of perhaps 3 years. Not long at all, but still a tiny piece of music.

Never forgot it, , , didn't think about it too often either.

Then suddenly in the late 80's a song came from nite-radio here.

And I instantly recognized something about the melody - but not the whole tune.

It contained a fragment between 9 and 10 notes of my childhood mini-composition.

Stunned I waited to write down what it was and when the groovin' jockey took over it turned out to be, , , , Sukiyaki.

Research later told me that this song had been an international hit in the period before I 'wrote' my thing and the explanation was obvious.

My subconsciousness had sampled a strip of the original and placed it after my 2-note beginning, which by the way is the same start-notes as Deep Purple's Child in Time and Police's Walking on The Moon, , , way before they saw light of day, must be added.

A curious and funny tale about how music also works, , , and sometimes - like folklorist storytelling - travels all over the world through undercover channels.

How much is a set of Elixirs for a piano? Nano's.

80/20's or Phos/bronze?

About $250-$350 for a set of piano strings (plus the labor to change them). They are bronze wound, but I don't know what the alloy options are.

Archived