Gibson Brands Forums

Forum Member's Style

Buc McMaster

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men"

Charles de Gaulle

If you ever see my music collection, you'll know I could listen to just guitar playing all day long but I'm a guitar nerd.

I'm taking most of the remarks being made as an opinion of what one thinks the general public prefers. Years ago when I played out, it was very obvious. An occasional instrumental then a lot of songs. Originals didn't go over that well either.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was kind of fun earlier - what's happening?

I think the wheels started to wobble when the OP provided comment and insight on the results of his poll - that many players who don't sing may be missing out on some of the fun they could be having.

It was interpreted to suggest that guitar players who don't sing are somehow 'less appreciated'.

Now - we're considering changing this from a Guitar Forum to an Glee Club Forum.

I'll start a poll thread later today to see if we can come up with a new name for our Forum.

A discussion of folks saying they do not appreciate skilled guitar playing only vocals Is under question. I question why this is happening...why not appreciate both since we are all guitar players. Go figure.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Kind of a thread within a thread? OK - thanks!

I think the wheels started to wobble when the OP provided comment and insight on the results of his poll - that many players who don't sing may be missing out on some of the fun they could be having.

It was interpreted to suggest that guitar players who don't sing are somehow 'less appreciated'.

Now - we're considering changing this from a Guitar Forum to an Glee Club Forum.

I'll start a poll thread later today to see if we can come up with a new name for our Forum.

Damn! Why can't it just be all fun?

Well, I have worked on doing both songs and instrumentals and often mix up the two.

Now it started when I was singing along and I was told I should try instrumentals! I spent many years learning instrumental type electric blues/jazz and then I was told I could try photography ..... :mellow:

But seriously, blues of all kinds are great formats for stretching out instrumentally between verses.

BluesKing777.

Damn! Why can't it just be all fun?

Buc McMaster, on 04 April 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Fancy guitar players are a dime a dozen and might seem impressive for the moment, but it's a good melody or perhaps some clever lyric that you're playing in your head after you see a performer live or hear a tune on the radio...........not a screaming guitar solo

(End of quote)

Old Cowboy-Buc calling fancy guitar players a dime a dozen

as well as referring to acoustic guitar solos as screaming guitar solos that no one remembers started the fun taking a down-turn. At least to those of us who work hard at being skilled guitarists.

In my book, there's nothing wrong with the art of a good vocalist, but why put down the art of a skilled guitar work on a forum of guitarists...was the question I raised. Plus, a lot of us like both vocals with guitars as well as skilled guitar solos or instrumental music...which, when skilled, are not at all a dime a dozen or some kind of screaming noise...to set the record straight.

And with the record straight, let the fun begin again.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I am not disputing the appreciation of vocals/guitar music but rather disputing your dismissal of skilled guitar instrumental music because it too is quite appreciated. QM aka Jazzman Jeff
. Segovia and other great classicists never ing a lick. Branching out, Tony Rice no longer sings but is wonder. Could listen to John Reborn even if he didn't sing. Gary Davis' Cruxifixction and Blind Willie Johns Dark is the Night Cold is the ground are two of the finest instrumentals in the blues/gospel trad. So yeh, there is a place for all of that.

Btw gave myself a 4. If JT says I have a sporting right hand, Im not going to be shy about it! Any of you guys that don't fingerpick, I recommend giving it a try. You get so much more out of the instrument and enhance your singing in the bargain.

No two brains are wired the same.

Some of us love to absorb a beautiful vocal, and probably get something akin to get a chemical high reaction from it.

For me, it happens with beautiful instrumentals. Guitars (as well as other instruments) can absolutely talk and convey emotion. There are passages, and even certain notes within a passage, that can trigger a strong emotional response.

So as mentioned, I'm always focusing on the music. Even if there's a great vocal happening, it becomes supplemental to great music - but the music has to hook me first.

Personally, I've gone from singing & fingerpicking Lightfoot, Dylan, Byrds, and others when I was younger, to almost exclusively developing instrumentals. I could still play & sing those songs, but they just don't emotionally do anything for me, compared to working out my own instrumentals. I almost need it like I need to breath air!

Regardless, whatever it is that flips your switch, if it's musical, be very thankful you have it as part of your life. For some folks, their brains are wired in such a manner where music barely registers a response. Can you imagine?

Ah, brothers of the forum - I admire skilled pickers, always have. Some don't get due credit - Ike Everly comes to mind as one of the best of the 'thumb pickers' playing hell out of that old, battle scarred J-200. Many just think of him as Don and Phil's dad, if they know him at all. That style is apparently almost extinct. Wish I could do it! Good acoustic instrumentalists always deserve recognition. Wish I could have been one, but hey! Lots of ways to look at it, I guess. The movie The Long Riders is worth owning - even if it's not your genre - just for the Ry Cooder soundtrack. One of my all-time favorite albums, now out of circulation I'm pretty sure, Instrumental Music of the Southern Appalachians, is simply incredible. Ever notice how Van Ronk's guitar work kept getting smoother and tighter as long as he lived? Damn!

Being essentially a man of simple taste, I dislike over-produced recordings. TVZ albums stayed within my limits, but Tim Hardin never did. I expect not many who didn't know him ever got the pleasure of hearing how good he sounded with just his guitar.

It's all good, one way or the other....

No two brains are wired the same.

Some of us love to absorb a beautiful vocal, and probably get something akin to get a chemical high reaction from it.

For me, it happens with beautiful instrumentals. Guitars (as well as other instruments) can absolutely talk and convey emotion. There are passages, and even certain notes within a passage, that can trigger a strong emotional response.

So as mentioned, I'm always focusing on the music. Even if there's a great vocal happening, it becomes supplemental to great music - but the music has to hook me first.

Personally, I've gone from singing & fingerpicking Lightfoot, Dylan, Byrds, and others when I was younger, to almost exclusively developing instrumentals. I could still play & sing those songs, but they just don't emotionally do anything for me, compared to working out my own instrumentals. I almost need it like I need to breath air!

Regardless, whatever it is that flips your switch, if it's musical, be very thankful you have it as part of your life. For some folks, their brains are wired in such a manner where music barely registers a response. Can you imagine?

I too have gone through the same musical transition you mention. I used to write tons of songs with lyrics as well as sing and play songs with my guitar of others' songs as well as my own. From being a kid on until my mid 40s and then my music and tastes and focus on guitar playing began to shift to solely the music as if I discovered a whole new way of exploring and understanding music as well as meeting a challenge to further my guitar skills in this new musical realm. 20 years later that journey is still underway and like you said, while I still appreciate and can perform and even write vocal/guitar music like I used to, my musical journey that keeps moving forward in my guitar playing and music composition is now in the instrumental realm (which still seems to me like an exploration without a limit as my guitar playing keeps going further in this direction.)

I still like the music of Dylan, Waylon, PP&M and the K Trio, Bill Monroe, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zant, the Beatles and the Stones...but now Segovia, Wes Montgomery, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Jerry Douglas, Louis Armstrong, Chet Baker, Chet Atkins, Pat Metheny, Laurence Juber, Tommy Emmanuel, Nelson Riddle and every horn, piano, and guitar instrumentalist is where my musical study and influences now lie in my guitar playing. Who'd a thought way back...but once that musical world of letting it influence and challenge my guitar skills hit me, there was no turning back on the instrumental guitar licks I began working on.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

My guess? Most of us tend to play in a manner that best fits us. That can evolve/mature over time - or not. Some can be 'wired' for more change, others for less. Taste can change, too, or not. Personally, the lyric gets my attention and gives me an impression or reaction that's enhanced by the music. But the lyric sticks after the music is gone. I don't mean to imply that my way of relating to this is in any way better than the opposite. Just that it's my way and carries over into my approach to using the guitar as a medium to reinforce song lyrics. Why anyone would feel the need to either apologize for or defend their music escapes me. We all contribute by working to do our best within the context of our choice. I can't compete with hot licks pickers, but hate competition anyway - so that's not an issue. I can sure enjoy listening, though. And if it makes me happy, playing or listening, that's enough.

I dislike over-produced recordings. TVZ albums stayed within my limits, but Tim Hardin never did. I expect not many who didn't know him ever got the pleasure of hearing how good he sounded with just his guitar.

Actually, the album "This is Tim Hardin" is still available on CD. It pre-dates his well known Verve recordings, featuring him alone with his guitar. I first stumbled upon this gem back in the early '70s. Very powerful & memorable singing & playing.

Actually, the album "This is Tim Hardin" is still available on CD. It pre-dates his well known Verve recordings, featuring him alone with his guitar. I first stumbled upon this gem back in the early '70s. Very powerful & memorable singing & playing.

I had no idea that was still available! Then you've heard him at (what I've always considered) nearly his best. Outstanding!

Tim Hardin was great. His music was unique. Among the few albums he did, I thought most were over-produced. He was a folksinger and at his very best when playing as one.

Ironically, he wasn't very fond of this song, even though he made good money off of it and is primarily known for it. He didn't think he did a good job writing it...............Died way too early.

Tim Hardin was great. His music was unique. Among the few albums he did, I thought most were over-produced. He was a folksinger and at his very best when playing as one.

Ironically, he wasn't very fond of this song, even though he made good money off of it and is primarily known for it. He didn't think he did a good job writing it...............Died way too early.

Great clip! Thanks for posting👍 Tim Hardin was a casuality of Viet Nam. It just took a while longer than for some - a real shame and a sad deal all around.

Archived