Gibson Brands Forums: Pickguard Help - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pickguard Help Bright Firestripe - modifications possible ?

#1 User is offline   duluthdan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4237
  • Joined: 19-February 12
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

In the category of "too much time on my hands' I am going to try and apply a new firestripe guard on my guard less J-45. I know that the yellow is relatively brightened in the photo below, because there is the 3m sticky backing on it. But, I want to try and use some artistry to make the guard blend a little better into the sunburst. Any tips or suggestions welcomed. Do I recall that Lars 68 did a post of his PG project? Archives now don't go very deep, so I could not find that post anywhere???

I realize I'll probably have to remove the mounting sheet, do the modifications, and then reapply a new sticky sheet. Here's the guard with the backing on just laid loose onto the guitar.

Posted Image
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage
0

#2 User is offline   Buc McMaster 

  • Follow your joy, grasshopper.
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2782
  • Joined: 03-March 09
  • LocationTexas!

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Did the same to my 45, Dan. It is hard to tell what the application will look like with the backing still on the guard, but the really golden looking areas are actually quite translucent and do show the gradient of the sunburst........

Posted Image
J45 Vintage - J45 12 fret
Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been. Buc, from Me & Eddie
The 20th Maine An original, historically accurate account of Chamberlain's defense of Little Round Top, just south of Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863.
0

#3 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:01 AM

Yes, I painted my guards on the back with acrylic paint in a crude gradual sunburst pattern. I just sent you a message about it.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.firestrip...ads/larsaj1.jpg

http://www.firestrip...ads/Larsj45.jpg

Lars

This post has been edited by Lars68: 13 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

0

#4 User is offline   duluthdan 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4237
  • Joined: 19-February 12
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

All done. Just like Buc said - blended in all by itself. I searched out some 30 year-old acrylic paint from old child art supplies - hard as a rock, so i took the easy way out, sorry Lars.
This guard is from Holter Pickguards - holterpickguards@gmail.com nice bevel, nice guard, I am a happy hack !
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage
0

#5 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8785
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Job well done dan

Anyone know of anywhere in UK that makes such things ??
0

#6 User is offline   fp 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 723
  • Joined: 02-January 08

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

Looks great Dan !
0

#7 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Very nice!

Nothing beats a firestripe guard on a sunburst Gibson.

Lars
0

#8 User is offline   Dave F 

  • Plain Old Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2238
  • Joined: 19-December 11
  • LocationKY

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Nice placement job!
Looks great.
0

#9 User is offline   ThemisSal 

  • Ordinary Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4773
  • Joined: 28-July 12

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:24 AM

Great job Dan....
And I have heard a lot about Taylor Mullins guards...
0

#10 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

I have never been a fan of what they call those amber firestripe pickguards. I am sorry children. This is a what a firestripe pickguard should look like (this one is on a 1933 Gibson-made Recording King mando). For whatever reason it appears to be a lost art. I would rather go with a dalmatian or a dark tort scratchplate,

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zombywoof: 14 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#11 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10342
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

I have never been a fan of what they call those amber firestripe pickguards. I am sorry children. This is a what a firestripe pickguard should look like (this one is on a 1933 Gibson-made Recording King mando). For whatever reason it appears to be a lost art. I would rather go with a dalmatian or a dark tort scratchplate,

Posted Image



I have been looking for real firestripe celluloid material for a long time, and haven't found it. The modern interpretations are generally a poor imitation of the real thing. The best modern versions I have seen aren't even celluloid.
0

#12 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

Although not a 100% perfect match, these guards come very, very close to the original look.
http://www.firestripepickguards.com/
I have two of these (2012 SJ and 2007 AJ), as well as an original to compare with (from a 1938 kalamazoo KG 3/4 Sport), and the modern counterparts do capture the vibe of the oldie.

The modern firestripe guards used by Gibson look a little different. I think they look very nice, but yes a little different. Celluloid is not a material suitable for mass produced guitars, shipped cross international borders. Also, the oldies were placed on bare wood and then the sunburst was sprayed over the guards. This method caused the wood to crack when the celluloid started to shrink. So it is not very likely Gibson will ever go back to neither original material, nor original method.

lars
0

#13 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

View Postj45nick, on 14 February 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

I have been looking for real firestripe celluloid material for a long time, and haven't found it. The modern interpretations are generally a poor imitation of the real thing. The best modern versions I have seen aren't even celluloid.


I want to say the only place you can get celluloid these days is from Italy. When I had my 1942 J-50 restored it needed a pickguard. Although it was not what was originally on the guitar, the guy doing the work wanted to put a firestripe scratchplate on it. He ended up making me one out of some NOS celluloid he had on hand.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#14 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostLars68, on 14 February 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:



Also, the oldies were placed on bare wood and then the sunburst was sprayed over the guards. This method caused the wood to crack when the celluloid started to shrink. So it is not very likely Gibson will ever go back to neither original material, nor original method.



The biggest pain in the butt pickguard to replace was on my 1950s Epiphone FT-79. Not only was it attached to bare wood but it was actually set into the top so it sat flush. I attempted it twice and finally gave up and had somebody else do it.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#15 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10342
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 February 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

I want to say the only place you can get celluloid these days is from Italy. When I had my 1942 J-50 restored it needed a pickguard. Although it was not what was originally on the guitar, the guy doing the work wanted to put a firestripe scratchplate on it. He ended up making me one out of some NOS celluloid he had on hand.



Could we see a picture of that?
0

#16 User is offline   bayoubengal1954 

  • Professional Journeyman Singer/Songwriter
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 937
  • Joined: 08-September 13
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 February 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

Job well done dan

Anyone know of anywhere in UK that makes such things ??


Hey bbg-- I tried to send you a PM on this, but no luck.

I wrote to Taylor Mullins at Holter and while I was doing that I asked about shipping overseas. Here is his response:

"Thanks for reaching out. I have not shipped to Ireland before so Iím sorry Iím not much help here. Truthfully, shipping overseas has been hit or miss. I have had 2 packages returned the last several months and had to refund the customers. I do remember the costs ranging from $12 - 23 before, but I donít remember where I was shipping to exactly.

What kind of guard/guards are you looking for? If your open to covering the shipping, we can give it a try. Just let me know and thanks again for reaching out!

Taylor"

I mentioned I was asking for someone who lived in Ireland, but I guess he thought I lived there. :)

I know this is not promising, but I wanted you to have the info. He is at:
holterpickguards@gmail.com

Take Care
Patrick
1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
2005 Larrivee 000-50
2013 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2016 Halcyon NL-00 Lutz/Walnut
0

#17 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8785
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

View Postbayoubengal1954, on 14 February 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Hey bbg-- I tried to send you a PM on this, but no luck.

I wrote to Taylor Mullins at Holter and while I was doing that I asked about shipping overseas. Here is his response:

"Thanks for reaching out. I have not shipped to Ireland before so Iím sorry Iím not much help here. Truthfully, shipping overseas has been hit or miss. I have had 2 packages returned the last several months and had to refund the customers. I do remember the costs ranging from $12 - 23 before, but I donít remember where I was shipping to exactly.

What kind of guard/guards are you looking for? If your open to covering the shipping, we can give it a try. Just let me know and thanks again for reaching out!

Taylor"

I mentioned I was asking for someone who lived in Ireland, but I guess he thought I lived there. :)

I know this is not promising, but I wanted you to have the info. He is at:
holterpickguards@gmail.com

Take Care
Patrick



Thanks boss

Thatís mighty kind of you to investigate
0

#18 User is offline   bayoubengal1954 

  • Professional Journeyman Singer/Songwriter
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 937
  • Joined: 08-September 13
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 February 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

I want to say the only place you can get celluloid these days is from Italy. When I had my 1942 J-50 restored it needed a pickguard. Although it was not what was originally on the guitar, the guy doing the work wanted to put a firestripe scratchplate on it. He ended up making me one out of some NOS celluloid he had on hand.


Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards claims his are made of celluloid.
1974 Martin D-28
1948 Gibson J-50
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
2005 Larrivee 000-50
2013 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2016 Halcyon NL-00 Lutz/Walnut
0

#19 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7286
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

View Postbayoubengal1954, on 14 February 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards claims his are made of celluloid.



You can still get it - at least Celluloid Acetate. It is Celluloid Nitrate that went poof when you touched a match to it. I recall doing that to old guitar picks. I also recall the stuff smelled like Vicks Vapo Rub when you built up even a tiny bit of heat by simply cutting it. Up to a few years ago there was a Italian company called Mazzucheli or something where you could buy the sheets of celluloid. Not sure if they are still around but it was expensive as all get out and on top of that you had to buy bulk.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#20 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10342
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 14 February 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

You can still get it - at least Celluloid Acetate. It is Celluloid Nitrate that went poof when you touched a match to it. I recall doing that to old guitar picks. I also recall the stuff smelled like Vicks Vapo Rub when you built up even a tiny bit of heat by simply cutting it. Up to a few years ago there was a Italian company called Mazzucheli or something where you could buy the sheets of celluloid. Not sure if they are still around but it was expensive as all get out and on top of that you had to buy bulk.


It smells like Vapo Rub because camphor is used as a plasticizer in making it.

Here's a link to a company that supplies celluloid in some forms, such as turning blanks for fountain pens, but apparently not in the thicker blocks that you slice up to create thin sheets for use for pickguards. Lots of good information, however.

American Art Plastics

This post has been edited by j45nick: 14 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users