Gibson Brands Forums

How to get stain off white studio?

sktn77a

Hi all:

I have a one year old Gibson Les Paul Studio in white. My son has been playing it and there's a reddish stain on the top front edge of the lower bout (presumably from the inside of his right arm/shirt). Have no idea what it is. I've tried water, soap, but to no avail. I didn't want to get into alcohol or anything stronger before checking with the experts here regarding what I can us to clean off the stain from the (nitrocellulose laquer?) white paint.

Please, don't make recommendations you haven't tried!

Thanks

Hmmm . . . that could be tricky. I would get some advice from an expert luthier on that. Of course there are a few experts on here, so you may get a more useful reply. What I would say is don't do anything to it until you have that expert advice!

Thanks' date=' I did that today. They suggested taking it to a luthier and having it buffed out. Unfortunately there's nobody who can do that close to where I live.[/quote']

I feel like banging my head against a wall because I know there is a guy in Raleigh that can do it, but I can't for the life of me remember his name.

Look up Blues Master Guitars in Durham, It's a store but the owner also makes custom guitars so I'm sure he could buff it out for you for a small charge. It should be somewhat close to you.

Or if you want a little drive, go to Fayetteville there is a guy there named Brad Muffett, I'd trust him with ANYTHING guitar related. He retired as a repair man from Edwards Music there in town and now has his own shop on North Riley Rd called The Guitar Shop.

I decided to get the links for you...

http://www.bluesmasterguitars.com/

http://www.guitarshopnc.com/

As for the guy in Raleigh that I can't remember the name of, call the Guitar Center in Raleigh and ask them, anytime they don't have a part they will recommend you to that guy's shop.

Doesn't Axe suggest using lighter fluid to remove stains?

It is useful for removing stains BUT I think in this case this might be a little more than a stain. It may be that the red colour has leeched deeper into the finish, so I'm with Neo on this . . . it's a job for a pro.

No' date=' I haven't tried vinegar. I guess this should be pretty harmless on a nitro finish.

[/quote']

I think straight vinegar sitting to long in one place could possibly do some damage. It is about 5% acidic.

But a little mixed with water and wiped off relatively soon won't it hurt at all.

I also know that vinegar is a great way to clean your strings! [crying]

Well, I used a little fine auto rubbing compound and it didn't have any effect so I don't think it's a surface stain. I'm beginning to think the paint has just worn thin. Trouble is the guitar has hardly been played so it shouldn't have.

Archived