Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special SC HAS ARRIVED

brianh

OK, a TV Yellow showed up today. I saw it on the porch through the side light, but was on the phone with HQ. By the time I broke free, another huge box had arrived - the TKL case I ordered from Amazon. I've had it plugged in for all of 30 minutes and absolutely, no issues. Action is low, intonation is close (although I will go over it more carefully later), and the finish and sound are quite good. I won't say exceptional, because disappointingly, it is not a yellow wash, it is solid, absolutely no grain visible at all anywhere on the guitar. But it still looks nice.

This is the only photo that looks close to the actual color:

Special009body.jpg

These are too blue, something about my camera settings today:

Special004back.jpg

Special005headstock.jpg

Special002whole.jpg

Special019headfront.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y687MBt2ho[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like one in Cherry, but since I already have my Spirit, which is essentially the same guitar, I won't even think about it.

Besides, I could get a used Gibson for not much more, with enough looking.

DSC00460-1.jpg

It's not the best photo, but I'll do more when I completely finish it. I need to figure out a way to get the bridge pickup at a proper height... and replace the jack. I'd like to spray a few more coats of clear over it, too.

agreed.. that yellow is def off

You guys might be right.. the yellow is a little "off" in the pictures compared to the Gibson... but the Gibson is over $2k more!!

Gibson.jpg

Epiphone.jpg

I ordered the Epi yesterday. It was tough for me to pass up at this price since I've been waiting for one of these. The dude from MF told me they only had 2 left when I ordered it. I'll let you know how it is.

Ok that's two takers so far on the fourm.

Anyone else?

I'm seriously considering it.

With the recent spate of new Epi Les Paul models coming out I'm now starting to mount a 'home improvements' strategic manoeuvre.

I'd very much like a 2 x P90-equipped, solid body guitar at a testicle-preserving price; and this one fits the bill nicely. I prefer the cherry but the grain on the one in the picture looks a little like a mowed lawn. Is that a veneer over several pieces of 'mahogany'? I don't mind that but I would want the grain to look as authentic as possible.

Also, are the black Epiphone P-90 soap bars keepers?

Alan

PS. Do you think they'll do an SG version with two P90s, like the current Gibson SG classic?

A single cut. Check it out.

I took that photo right after I got it' date=' so the stickers are still on it.

epi2.th.jpg

Thats a nice looking guitar! I didn't know they had these models. I have a few questions for you... You called it transparent white, can you see the wood grain? I cannot tell in your photos. What do you think of the overall quality and how do the P90's sound? Thanks!

Ok that's two takers so far on the fourm.

Anyone else?

Yeah, ordered mine in TV Yellow last night. I've been begging for a set neck P90 Junior, Special, or Coronet on these boards for like a year now. so I figured I had to put my money where my mouth is. Or is that where my keyboard is?

"Thats a nice looking guitar! I didn't know they had these models. I have a few questions for you... You called it transparent white, can you see the wood grain? I cannot tell in your photos. What do you think of the overall quality and how do the P90's sound? Thanks!"

Thanks. It is kind of a think transparent paint. Under a bright light you can see the wood grain, but not so much under normal lighting. The wood grain is not as prevalent as it is on a white melody maker, but you can still see it. It is kinda different, but I like it.

For the quality, the pick-ups sound great. There is a little fret buzz around the second fret, but I thought I should get a little more familiar with the guitar before I start tweeking it. There has also been some tuning issues, but the weather here has been so extreme from one day to the next and that can really affect the neck.

But overall I love it. When I put it on I feel like I could take over the world.

i voted for "Must have both" even though i can't afford anything right now because:

1. i just purchased this les paul special

Man' date=' that's a beaut. I wish we got all the stuff they get on the Japanese market! Never seen a special with a back contour before. I bet that will be really comfortable to play.

2. the wife is 6 weeks pregnant (first baby!)

Congratulations! You have no idea how much change you're in for! The good news is most of it will be good. My kids are 2 and 5 and I'm finally getting back to where I can buy some gear again, LOL.

life is beatiful!

Indeed! My Epi Special is out for delivery right now, so it should be waiting for me when I get home!

i voted for "Must have both" even though i can't afford anything right now because:

1. i just purchased this les paul special

2. the wife is 6 weeks pregnant (first baby!)

life is beatiful!

That is nice. Congrats on both new babies!

GibsonLPSpecialTVYellow1.jpgGibsonLPSpecialTVYellow2.jpg

Archived