Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks

EvoRider

I have a epip g400 and was wandering if anybody uses strap locks and what kind they use. I am looking at the ernie ball super lock or the dunlop locks i have the hennessey NSL7200 locks on my bass but because the thickness of them it might be a problem because the neck strap button is on the back side of the neck.. not really a big deal i just wanted to see what other people was useing....

I use Dunlops on all of my guitars. (That way I don't have to have straps for all of my guitars.) On my G-400 I use a leather strap with suede leather on the back and I have no problems with neck diving. The suede grabs on to my clothes really good and keeps the guitar where I want it.

I use Schallers. No particular reason other than that's what I bought first and that's what I'n used to. Now all of my guitars have them and it makes changing guitars fairly quick. Two straps, set at different lengths, will fit all. I don't think that it makes too much difference which brand, just that you use them. You'd feel pretty dumb looking at your guitar on the floor while thinking, "hmmmm... well at least I saved $15".

+1 for the Shallers. I've had them on all my guitars/basses for as long as I can remember and they work like a charm. One nice feature is even if the spring goes out, the part on the strap can still hold the pin on the guitar as long as you don't install them upside down [wink]

I have a epip g400 and was wandering if anybody uses strap locks and what kind they use. I am looking at the ernie ball super lock or the dunlop locks i have the hennessey NSL7200 locks on my bass but because the thickness of them it might be a problem because the neck strap button is on the back side of the neck.. not really a big deal i just wanted to see what other people was useing....

Dee-dum-dee-dum......

grolsch-gaskets-100-count.png

5434511702_197c1dea48.jpg

flipgasket__91521_zoom.jpg

Another vote for Schaller's, i have them on all of my guitars, (SG Standard, Epi Dot faded, Meoldy maker) and find they give you a lot of confidence. the solidity of them are quite astounding and the fact you have to pull them to release means any accidental 'pushing' is'nt going to end in disaster.

.....till the Grolsh Washerss get mentioned.... [flapper]

[lol][lol][lol]

+1 on the Grolsch washers. It's a low-end solution, but it works. And you don't have to drill out holes for the straplocks to fit. If it works, costs little to no money, and has a big advantage over the normal straplock route, then it's my obvious choice. But I do agree it's a low-brow sort of fix.

• 1 month later...

I use Schallers. No particular reason other than that's what I bought first and that's what I'n used to. Now all of my guitars have them and it makes changing guitars fairly quick. Two straps, set at different lengths, will fit all. I don't think that it makes too much difference which brand, just that you use them. You'd feel pretty dumb looking at your guitar on the floor while thinking, "hmmmm... well at least I saved $15".

Just had schallers installed on my sons g400 today, took a little work to find the right screw (head)which would fit into the lock button, had to file the screw head a little but got it done. Good point re the guitar on the floor, that would suck donkey balls. We put them on his LP junior and they are pretty damm good, big price difference between the black or gold and the nickel ($NZ47 V $28 for the nickel/chrome)lucky that his g400 has chrome hardware as most do.

I have my Epi LP Tribute 60' that came with Epi strap locks, too. They're good, but I still prefer the Dunlop better (as it's also cheaper compare to others)!

Dunlop has the pull tip, which IMO I think is less likely to wear-off against Epi's stock strap locks, as they need to be forced out.

The Grolsch washers are a truly great idea.

I like Schaller over the Ernie Ball and Dunlop locks, because if the spring in the Schaller fails, it doesn't fall off the guitar. If the spring fails in a Dunlop (or Ernie Ball, because they're the same basic design) your guitar will plummet towards the floor.

+1 on the Grolsch washers.

+2 ..... they work just fine...... I don't buy 'em in bulk, though ( I USED to have a huge supply back in the homebrewing days, but that was some time ago) ..... I just pick up a 4-pack of Grolsch as needed, have a few beers and get bonus low budget locks.... works for me, but, I don't really care what anyone thinks of my set-up....hell, most people wouldn't even notice, other than other guitarists...and I REALLY don't care what THEY think ;)

Archived