Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished up the Tychobrae Octavia today. Sure is easier wiring in these big ol' boxes! [biggrin]

Sounds excellent - I like it better than the Voodoo Lab Proctavia I owned. The left switch

turns off the octave and just leaves the fuzz running. Pretty decent sounding fuzz too.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0004-3.jpg

VERY NICE!! How's it sound?

OH....is there a volume drop when you kick in the octave?

and mammoth sent me the wrong transistors

I used to order a lot from Mammoth, and really, really, wanted to like them, but EVERY single order was wrong or missing parts. I order in large quantities, so the headache just wasn't worth it any more. Sometimes replacement parts were sent out days after the "President" of the small business, Blake, said they would be shipped out.

Cool bluesguitar! If you want a less muddy fuzz face, lower the value of the input & output caps.

I just had a major DIY breakthrough. Up until now I've basically been painting by numbers by using PCBs and vero layouts. I just built my first fuzz using nothing but a schematic. It's a really simple circuit; the "Bazz Fuss". I'm pretty happy about it! Sounds awesome!

Thanks Dubs! Now, that is something to able to read schematics huh? I would be so lost.

So you like that Easy Face better than the four knob 60s? I'm really loving the 4 knob I built right now (and I haven't even installed the germanium trannies yet).

Yea, the easy face has more of that mid 70s sound hard rock to it...not too muffled, just crips fuzzy tone.

Here's a really quick n dirty clip of my delay that I just built. The flangery sound that you hear in some parts is my arm moving between the speaker and the mic to adjust settings on the pedal. Sorry about that.

I'll get a better demo up soon, just wanted to put a little something up for now.

Thanks Dubs! Now, that is something to able to read schematics huh? I would be so lost.

I'm still learning, it's just something that I really want to understand

JDK- they mess up my orders all the time but I'm happy with the customer service they give me. It's not really a big deal to me plus I end up with a lot of free stuff when they send the wrong part then replace it.

JDK- they mess up my orders all the time but I'm happy with the customer service they give me. It's not really a big deal to me plus I end up with a lot of free stuff when they send the wrong part then replace it.

Next time we get wrong parts maybe we can swap the wrong ones for projects we are doing!

I always have plenty of 1590A's, 1590B's and 1590BB's on hand in case you mis-drill one (I've done it a few times myself).

BTW those hammered paints you and bluesguitar are using are great looking! You should also look into powder coating. That is what I use (and most pro pedals). It is relativley easy to do, just technique is all, and reasonably priced to get in to. Much more durable then spray paint, and doesn't drip

Next time we get wrong parts maybe we can swap the wrong ones for projects we are doing!

I always have plenty of 1590A's, 1590B's and 1590BB's on hand in case you mis-drill one (I've done it a few times myself).

BTW those hammered paints you and bluesguitar are using are great looking! You should also look into powder coating. That is what I use (and most pro pedals). It is relativley easy to do, just technique is all, and reasonably priced to get in to. Much more durable then spray paint, and doesn't drip

Yeah I'd be down for that! Where do you buy your enclosures? Do you get good bulk discounts?

What equipment do you need to do powder coating? My dad used to be a paint contractor so I could use his air compressor/ sprayer.

Yeah I'd be down for that! Where do you buy your enclosures? Do you get good bulk discounts?

What equipment do you need to do powder coating? My dad used to be a paint contractor so I could use his air compressor/ sprayer.

I get bulk discounts but they are just slightly less ($.50 to $1.00 or so per enclosure less). I found out who Mammoth's supplier is, and since I order larger quantities, I buy from them now.

As far as powder coating, look at Harbor Freight's Powder Coat System. When it's on sale and with a 20% off coupon its like $60. Pick up an old toaster oven off craigslist for $5 that can go up to 400 degreees, and if you have an air compressor you are set. Pick your color powder paint, spray on the powder paint, pop it in the oven (do NOT use your house oven) bake it for 20 min, take it out to cool, and you are done. Tough, even, finish with no drip marks. In fact if a spot doesn't have enough powder, surrounding powder will not melt and flow to cover it. It will be bare or thin still.

I haven't tried ordering directly from 4site yet. I could definitely use a bulk supply of enclosures, 3PDTs, and jacks.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to look into powder coating. I was buying the powdercoated enclosures from mammoth before but I decided to take a more DIY approach.

I've been experimenting with the Easy Face, and I got a hold of these AC188K transistor with the gain of 179 and it sounds KILLER. I orignally had a 2n404, but this AC188K is just amazing....fuller sound and cleans up really well with the guitar volume turned down.. I think I will be building another one or several:fingersx::fingersx:

img0724mn.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-22

img0723yzx.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-22

I get bulk discounts but they are just slightly less ($.50 to $1.00 or so per enclosure less). I found out who Mammoth's supplier is, and since I order larger quantities, I buy from them now.

Is it "Hammond Manufacturing" ??.......If not, who ??? How many do you have to buy ???

That's sounds amazing Dubs! Where did you get the layout for that cave dweller? I want to build one.

It's a Madbean PCB but they're out of stock I think. It's a really simple PT2399 circuit. My only complaint is that it rolls off some top end so next one I built I'll be wiring in a mix control. This one is very cool as it is though and I like how small I was able to make it (you can fit it in a 1590A if you don't mod it like I did).

Overall I'm really happy with it and it's probably my second favorite pedal that I've ever made.

Damian - they're 4site brand enclosures which are basically just copies of Hammonds. The quality is great though, they're what I always use. If you want Hammonds you can order them from mouser.

Archived