Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Could have been a nice guitar or Amp Head Cab but This is the casket I built for Sassy. I pimped out her ride...

A beautiful Flame maple top with a layer of cherry. little over 3/4" thick. I gave her a recurve on the top and about a 1/2" dado around the edges so the top and bottom are inset. Sides are rock maple that I dovetailed ( first time) I had to give her a pearl "S" just for some class. I buried her on the hill behind the house just at the point she can watch over her kingdom through the windows. She did will liz and I the house. :-) She was a good cat and gave me 15 years of Joy. Least I could do...

b9147790.jpg

c2fedd83.jpg

7ac653c8.jpg

b1b49fdc.jpg

9c1f563c.jpg

464c1998.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it lives! [biggrin]

there was a small error on the layout i used, and fixing that i now have a very LOUD amp. Fortunately i also posted on an 18 Watt forum and someone was able to help me: the connection i needed to fix was on the bottom of the board, and i'd made that connection over a year ago. i was really starting to lose my mind! :)

now, to the fine tuning: the gain on this thing is crazy, and the master volume is not subtle enough for my tastes: time to tweak!

oh yeah, and i gotta get around to making a box for it too. [unsure]

Don

Can you do a Marshall style amp? put a presence knob into it and then u will get hendrix easier

Andy, that is some beautiful woodwork. i don't think i'll ever come close to that.

GibsonGuy1, this amp actually is based on Marshall(s), being a mashup of a "plexi" styled pre amp and an 18W power/output section. It doesn't have a negative feedback control (presence), but it would not be too difficult to modify/add. That said, i kinda like it the way it is.

I don't think the early Marshall amps had it either, until around 1969 or so.

thanks!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Could have been a nice guitar or Amp Head Cab but This is the casket I built for Sassy. I pimped out her ride...

A beautiful Flame maple top with a layer of cherry. little over 3/4" thick. I gave her a recurve on the top and about a 1/2" dado around the edges so the top and bottom are inset. Sides are rock maple that I dovetailed ( first time) I had to give her a pearl "S" just for some class. I buried her on the hill behind the house just at the point she can watch over her kingdom through the windows. She did will liz and I the house. :-) She was a good cat and gave me 15 years of Joy. Least I could do...

b9147790.jpg

c2fedd83.jpg

7ac653c8.jpg

b1b49fdc.jpg

9c1f563c.jpg

464c1998.jpg

That's cool Andy. A fitting tribute for her. What jig did you use for the dovetails?

• 1 month later...

Nice work Surfpup. Isn't populating circuitboards fun?

Did you see that mammothelectronics.com is selling powdercoated enclosures that are drilled to the BYOC templates now? They have a blue color that would be cool for that, although I think their textured black finish where it's at.

I see you've got some of those clamp things. How do you keep parts like sockets from falling out before you solder them in when you're using those? I just use my right hand to hold the board and component in place and guide the solder while I hold the iron in my left hand.

Here's my little work station

photo-551.jpg

Just a stool that my brother made in woodshop class in high school haha.

Did you see that mammothelectronics.com is selling powdercoated enclosures that are drilled to the BYOC templates now? They have a blue color that would be cool for that, although I think their textured black finish where it's at.

No, but I will check it out. I don't really like the BYOC stock enclosures. I ordered a smaller powder black one from another place but it might be a bit too small for the analog chorus. Blue would be cool. I need to start thinking about what I want the box to look like.

I see you've got some of those clamp things. How do you keep parts like sockets from falling out before you solder them in when you're using those? I just use my right hand to hold the board and component in place and guide the solder while I hold the iron in my left hand.

Yeah, I use the third hand a lot to hold the board while I solder. It can scratch the epoxy boards if you aren't careful. As for stuff like sockets I usually solder a resistor or cap in place first and then bend them over to hold the socket in whilst I solder. Since most of my work is on Tube Screamers anyway, the resistors and caps are right next door. But, yeah, I've held it in place with the other hand too - till it gets hot! [scared]

You probably need a 125b or larger to fit that board.

I usually don't care much for the way BYOC lays out their controls but board mounted pots are so sweet to work with..

Those blue caps are Phillips if you wanna get some. I think they sell them at mouser.

DSCN3053.jpg

Dude, it looks lovely. However, I mean not to be a fuss budget, but budget the fuss I must. have some constructive advice. I think the wheel thingies go on the bottom. Just sayin'.

[flapper]

Dude, it looks lovely. However, I mean not to be a fuss budget, but budget the fuss I must. have some constructive advice. I think the wheel thingies go on the bottom. Just sayin'.

[flapper]

Well he obviously made that for when he's playin in Australia...you know, down under..uh..well.. ( Rowdy slowly backs outa room to escape backlash from really bad joke).

update on my 18W amp head. been working the cabinet, and finally stained, distressed and polycoated it.

stained-1.jpg

stained-2.jpg

i like the distressed look, which masks my poor sanding job well. :) it's actually shinier and smoother than it appears in these pics.

i have new knobs on order, and will start the faceplates next.

Don

Heard about Cigar Box Guitars last year and decided to have a go. This is what I've made to date, 2 made with cigar boxes, necks from oak shelf and fitted with pizo pickups. 1 from a Cadbury's biscuit tin fitted with parts scrounged from a £5 guitar. The last one isn't really a CBG but is made from the rest of the £5 guitar and a fender neck. All hand painted and logo'd. Making these is the best fun I've had in years :---)

SF0001.jpg

SFJack.jpg

SF0001.jpg

SFBodyCBG-2.jpg

SFGuitar-2.jpg

SFBody-4.jpg

SFJack-3.jpg

SFFinishedBody-3.jpg

SFFinishedHead-14.jpg

Finished up the Analog Chorus board today. Guess I need to get started

on the enclosure. #-o Shoulda done that ahead of time.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0003-4.jpg

I'm thinking about building one myself. Let me know how it sounds. I love my original Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (18v) for it's lush, warm tone, but I have heard great things abouth the CE-2, and it could take the Dano's place

• 2 weeks later...

I made it so I had the option, but I'll probably be too lazy to swap stuff now that it's a boxed up haha

Thanks I painted it myself. I wanted a little more hammerite action, but I learned that you have to spray it on super thick for that. I think the paint turned out pretty good though.

Andy, that is some beautiful woodwork. i don't think i'll ever come close to that.

GibsonGuy1, this amp actually is based on Marshall(s), being a mashup of a "plexi" styled pre amp and an 18W power/output section. It doesn't have a negative feedback control (presence), but it would not be too difficult to modify/add. That said, i kinda like it the way it is.

I don't think the early Marshall amps had it either, until around 1969 or so.

thanks!

Don

the chassis early marshalls used were Fender Bassman chassis's particularly the 1959 models, so your incorrect on that statement

Archived