Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Here's my first attempt at a rattle can finish.

photo-1014.jpg

The pedal is a DIY Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer. Because of the sound and nature of this pedal, I wanted the graphics to be a little rough around the edges. The image is one of Salvador Dalí's long legged elephants which I thought was appropriate for this pedal. I was really happy with how the edges look around the letters. It looks really cool in person.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

photo-1245.jpg

here's a gutshot. As you can see there aren't a lot of parts. It was really easy to put together and it sounds ridiculous.

I took it to jam with a few friends tonight and it was so rad. The crazy oscillation noises sound really cool with some delay in the background of a song. I got pretty crazy with this thing. Evol would shed a tear..

I love this thing!

update on the 18W i'm building. if you're thinking of building an amp, consider this one... [biggrin]

after my troubleshooting and testing. i changed all of the input leads to shielded wire, and cleaned up lead dress. made some other changes: higher watt resistors, cathode cap, grid resistors, etc.

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

i bought an unloaded 2x12 speaker cabinet used for $50, and put both greenback and 30th anniversary celestions in it.

2x12.jpg

here's the sketch of the head cab in planning:

head_cab.jpg

i will get some sound clips together soon. the cascaded channels in particular are KILLER. [biggrin]

Man that is some real nice looking work and I appreciate that you did the extra work to make it perfect. I bet it sounds amazing.

I just love the way you braided that wire off the transformer :P

I'm looking forward to seeing it all finished up in the cabinet!

I need more info. What amp kit is that? I'm 90% sure my next tube amp will be home made.

I sourced everything separately for this build, right down to staking all the turrets (all part of the fun [biggrin]), but I believe both Trinity and Brown Note have kits for an "18 Watt Plexi", which would be similar.

The info for this particular layout can be found at 18Watt.com, Richard Johnson did the design/mods I followed. I really like the way this one is turning out!

Don

Thanks for the information. Did the shielded input wires make a difference in noise?

yes, especially with both the normal and bright volumes cascaded and dimed. I think shielding the lead to the Master Volume made the biggest impact, as it runs straight across the top of the circuit.

I did the input lead to the cascade switch mainly because it's perpendicular to all the other wiring.

I also braided the runs to the T, M and B pots, and shortened up pretty much every wire i could possibly cut...

[biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

:o nice builds man!

That Meatball...

How's the Pearl Octaver?

Thanks dude. They're not as tidy as yours but dats cool. The Octavers pretty rad. The up octave is pretty weak but I'm gonna mess with it and see if I can get it alittle stonger.

Good times! Props to everyone in this thread

Thanks dude. They're not as tidy as yours but dats cool. The Octavers pretty rad. The up octave is pretty weak but I'm gonna mess with it and see if I can get it alittle stonger.

Good times! Props to everyone in this thread

They look nice to me. I really dig how you drilled you boxes. I need to get a drill press. Or would a hand drill work alright?

Does the Pearl do octave down?

As a little side note... I started listening to some groovy music while I build and it makes building so much better! I don't know how I was doing it without tunes before.

transformers, sockets and inputs all wired. next up are the controls. then, on to voltage testing. [biggrin]

tonenext.jpg

Looks great! I was wondering why you chose to run the heater wires towards the inside near the board as opposed to outside by the rear panel? Not saying right or wrong I just like to understand reasoning.

Regards,

Andy

They look nice to me. I really dig how you drilled you boxes. I need to get a drill press. Or would a hand drill work alright?

Does the Pearl do octave down?

As a little side note... I started listening to some groovy music while I build and it makes building so much better! I don't know how I was doing it without tunes before.

Yeah man I just use a hand drill. I got some step bits from Harbor Freight for 4 bones. They make drilling a breeze.

The Pearl does 1 octave down, 2 octave down and 1 octave up.

I hear you on the music man. I put Beats Antique on the Pandora and go to town.

Looks great! I was wondering why you chose to run the heater wires towards the inside near the board as opposed to outside by the rear panel? Not saying right or wrong I just like to understand reasoning.

Regards,

Andy

No reason at all Andy, that's just the way I mounted the sockets. It was easier to solder the wires in that way, and then a straight shot to the other pins with the heater wires already in place. :-)

Thanks!

Don

Yeah man I just use a hand drill. I got some step bits from Harbor Freight for 4 bones. They make drilling a breeze.

The Pearl does 1 octave down, 2 octave down and 1 octave up.

I hear you on the music man. I put Beats Antique on the Pandora and go to town.

Sweet I'm gonna look into getting some bits so I can drill my own. I'm tired of being limited to the drilled boxes from mammoth even though they're pretty convenient.

How do the octave down sounds track?

No reason at all Andy, that's just the way I mounted the sockets. It was easier to solder the wires in that way, and then a straight shot to the other pins with the heater wires already in place. :-)

Thanks!

Don

Fair enough reason msp_biggrin.gif You're not getting any added hum?

Archived