• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I hate my Sheraton's sound

#1 User is offline   whitespike 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Sorry if this has been covered. I love the way the guitar plays, but I just hate the sound. In fact, I don't like humbuckers at all.

Really i like a fender sound. Any pickups that come close?

#2 User is offline   Blueman335 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes! There's a number of HB-sized P-90's available these days. They ARE the real single coil (not Leo's skinny little copies that came later). GFS makes some affordable ones that sound pretty good. They're called Mean 90's (not Dream 90's). Get a pair and they'll fit right in HB slots. They have more treble and less mids than HB's, and will give you that open, single coil sound.

#3 User is offline   whitespike 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks! I know about the Humbucker shaped P90s, but P90s aren't necessarily Fendery are they? Aren't they more beefy? Thanks again!

#4 User is offline   SNick 

• Computer Geek
  • Location45 Miles Northwest of Chicago

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

You may want to get a 4 wire set of Humbuckers so they can be split. It still will not be that exact Fender sound but it can get close. Visit the DiMarzio or Ducan sites and drop them a line.

Bluesman335 Leo invented the single coil before Mr. Lover invented the Humbucker. Think of life this way - if it was not for Leo and his single coil solid wood guitar perhaps the LP and the Humbucker would never have been made. I think you owe a debt of gratitude to Leo.
2011 Epiphone LP +Top, 2008 Fender MIA Stratocaster, 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster, 2004 Fender MIA Stratocaster
Fender Pro JR, Fender Super Champ XD, VOX VT30, BOSS RV-5, Digitech BadMonkey

#5 User is offline   whitespike 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostSNick, on 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

You may want to get a 4 wire set of Humbuckers so they can be split. It still will not be that exact Fender sound but it can get close. Visit the DiMarzio or Ducan sites and drop them a line.

Bluesman335 Leo invented the single coil before Mr. Lover invented the Humbucker. Think of life this way - if it was not for Leo and his single coil solid wood guitar perhaps the LP and the Humbucker would never have been made. I think you owe a debt of gratitude to Leo.

Oh, I do. I love Fender. I might get a Telecaster. But I have always wanted a hollow body. I am mainly a bassist. I like A bigger neck and body, which is why the Sheraton feels so great to me. But both my guitarists use Fenders (a Mustang, and my favorite, a Jazzmaster). I just prefer their jangly tones. I may just have to get a Fender and get used to the feel. Not that's its bad. My brother's Jazzmaster plays like a champ.

#6 User is offline   bluelake07 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

This comparison of Seymour Duncan pickups might help...the Phat Cat is their P-90 that fits in a humbucker rout

http://www.seymourdu...humbuckers_and/

#7 User is offline   whitespike 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Postbluelake07, on 06 April 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

This comparison of Seymour Duncan pickups might help...the Phat Cat is their P-90 that fits in a humbucker rout

http://www.seymourdu...humbuckers_and/

Cool link! Crud. Of course the vintage Jazzmaster is my favorite.

#8 User is offline   LPDEN 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNY

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

whitespike said:

1333746402[/url]' post='1172265']
Oh, I do. I love Fender. I might get a Telecaster. But I have always wanted a hollow body. I am mainly a bassist. I like A bigger neck and body, which is why the Sheraton feels so great to me. But both my guitarists use Fenders (a Mustang, and my favorite, a Jazzmaster). I just prefer their jangly tones. I may just have to get a Fender and get used to the feel. Not that's its bad. My brother's Jazzmaster plays like a champ.

Sounds like you may be a candidate for aTele Thinline!!! Great guitars, I owned a few before going with larger full-hollow and semi-hollows bodied Epiphones.
-LPDEN----------
Gibson Electric Guitars:
2012 Gibson Jeff Tweedy SG | 2013 Elliot East Signature Tiki Firebird
FOR SALE: 2010 Gibson Custom Historic SG Special VOS P-90s - Faded Cherry

#9 User is offline   AlanH 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

There must be a reason you don't tend to see Fender-sized single coils on archtops.

Too much noise/feedback compared to P90s?.........Maybe not.

Sound too thin in an archtop compared to P90s?.......Maybe so.

Alan

Guitars:
Yamaha SE350; Gibson SG Faded; Epiphone Wildkat; Charvel USA Pro San Dimas Style 1 -2H; Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbuckers; Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige; Peavey Millenium BXP4 bass

Sold:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with JB and Jazz; Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe with 490R and 490T; Kramer Pacer Classic 2010

Amps:
Peavey Royal 8 Valve King; Peavey Backstage 50; Ashdown Tourbus 10W bass amp; Zoom H4 recorder/effects

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive); EH Pocket Metal Muff Nano (Distortion); Marshall Regenerator (Modulation); MXR Carbon Copy (Delay); Artec SE-GEQ (EQ/Tuner)

Sound clip: http://soundcloud.co...nhgtr1/alankob2
Video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9rI5yP4v_k
Club: http://forum.gibson....ker-model-club/
Reviews: Wildkat; Pacer Classic
Useful restringing vid I found: http://www.youtube.c...B&v=Oclc4MHWbzw

#10 User is offline   bluelake07 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Maybe a Gretsch? They might have a guitar you'd like and also try one of these

http://www.vintagegu...eror-swingster/

Another seldom-seen option on guitars of this style at this price point are series/parallel potentiometers. Its certainly a plus when you can get a single-coil-type sound out of a box like this almost like a hollowbody Tele.

#11 User is offline   Trewblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Postwhitespike, on 06 April 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Sorry if this has been covered. I love the way the guitar plays, but I just hate the sound. In fact, I don't like humbuckers at all.

Really i like a fender sound. Any pickups that come close?

I know it's not a Sheraton, but I put a set of GFS bucker size P90's(Dream 90's) in my Dot and they sound great. I think the Mean 90's are more suited for a solid body. The Dream90's are plenty hot for a hollow or semi hollow...just my opinion!
Posted Image
Posted ImageIN REMEMBRANCE OF ANIMALFARM

#12 User is offline   Parabar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

The closest thing to a Fender single coil that's at all commonly used on a hollow body is Gretsch's Hilotron pickup. These were the pickups on George Harrison's Tennessean as used in the movie "Help" and much of the "Beatles For Sale" album as well.

You might also check out GFS' Surf 90 pickups, which come very close to DeArmond Dynasonic single coil pickups in tone and response --- brighter and chimier than regular P-90's.

But since you've identified yourself as a guy who likes hollow bodies but likes Fender tone better than humbuckers, you sound like a prime candidate for a Gretsch. They have a variety of models, many of which are available with several different pickups. I believe you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some different ones and investigate for yourself. The humbuckers on Gretsch pro-line guitars are called FilterTrons, and they are VERY different from Gibson/Epi humbuckers. There are also several different single coil pickups, each of which has its own tonal characteristics. You might well find what you're looking for among those offerings.

#13 User is offline   Trewblue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostParabar, on 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

The closest thing to a Fender single coil that's at all commonly used on a hollow body is Gretsch's Hilotron pickup. These were the pickups on George Harrison's Tennessean as used in the movie "Help" and much of the "Beatles For Sale" album as well.

You might also check out GFS' Surf 90 pickups, which come very close to DeArmond Dynasonic single coil pickups in tone and response --- brighter and chimier than regular P-90's.

But since you've identified yourself as a guy who likes hollow bodies but likes Fender tone better than humbuckers, you sound like a prime candidate for a Gretsch. They have a variety of models, many of which are available with several different pickups. I believe you owe it to yourself to get your hands on some different ones and investigate for yourself. The humbuckers on Gretsch pro-line guitars are called FilterTrons, and they are VERY different from Gibson/Epi humbuckers. There are also several different single coil pickups, each of which has its own tonal characteristics. You might well find what you're looking for among those offerings.

[thumbup] [thumbup]
Posted ImageIN REMEMBRANCE OF ANIMALFARM

#14 User is offline   matthewk 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

I had exactly the same problem - beautiful guitar to play, looked great, sounded like sludge.
Surf 90s fixed the sound problem perfectly, they are clear and bright with a very woody tone, and through dirt, they get angry very nicely.
Aesthetically - I'm still not 100% sure.
Posted Image

#15 User is online   tweed2 

• "Official Forum Member"
  • LocationThe Hills of the Other Washington

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Might be your amp?
Ya, that's right....
it's got a big "E"
on the pickguard!

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   whitespike 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

View Postmatthewk, on 06 April 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

I had exactly the same problem - beautiful guitar to play, looked great, sounded like sludge.
Surf 90s fixed the sound problem perfectly, they are clear and bright with a very woody tone, and through dirt, they get angry very nicely.
Aesthetically - I'm still not 100% sure.
Posted Image

I think that looks just fine! Did you change all the electronics or just the pickups? I am really considering the Surf 90s. I'd rather not ditch the guitar itself, being that I love the neck on it. Not every guitar plays great and this one does.

But I am intrigued about the Gretsch idea. More than likely I will try pickups and see first. If that doesn't work, I will check out the Tele Thinline and the Gretsch guitars with singles.

#17 User is offline   whitespike 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Posttweed2, on 06 April 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Might be your amp?

Nah. It sounds like &*%$ through anything. I've tried my Vox practice amp, Vox AC30, Fender super reverb, and Matchless Clubman 35! These pickups are MUDDY!

#18 User is offline   dcgrocknroll 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I got myself a Sherry II on my birthday last december. I loved the unplugged sound of the guitar. I loved the clean sound of the guitar, however the distortion (I don't even use too much), everything was MUDDY. I sold it, and got a Les Paul standard Plus Top. It was well worth it, as beautiful as the Sherry was. I guess it just wasn't for me, and I never got to try one before buying it. Learned my lesson.

-Don

#19 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

You'd prefer Fender tone, in a Sheraton?? Why? Why not just buy a Fender? They're
two, completely different guitar approaches. Why not approach the Sheri, as just that...
another tone, for your expanding pallette? Now, if you want nicer "Humbuckers," try
some Gibson (or after-market versions, if you prefer) Classic '57's. They're clear, well
defined, and don't muddy up excessively, with over-drive, or distortion pedals. They
will be mellower, on a Sheraton, due to the semi-hollow body, than they would be, on
a solid body, Les Paul or SG. But, that's no fault, of the pickups. It's just the
characteristic, of Semi's. To me, it's a fool's errand, to try to make a Semi-hollow
body Gibson/Epiphone, sound like a Fender (Tele, or Strat). But, a well appointed Sheri,
is one FINE guitar! You've had good suggestions, so far, regarding replacement pickups...
I would only add to those (beyond, what I've already said, about Gibson's Classic 57's)
that "TV Jones" makes some outstanding "Gretsch" and Gretsch like, pickups, as well as his
own versions of P-90's and more traditional Humbuckers, as well. Maybe those, would be
more to your liking? Only you'll know, if/when you get to try out some. Good Luck! [biggrin] [thumbup]

Also, don't forget pots and capacitors. They alone, can make a big difference...even with
your current pickups. I changed caps, in my '76 Les Paul Deluxe, and tone pots, as well, and
it redefined the sound! Much nicer, warmer, but still "edgy," now...but, that's what I wanted. So... [thumbup]

CB

#20 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

" Hate " is such a harsh word in this season of joy.............[smile] :unsure: [blush] .......
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic