Gibson Brands Forums

Best Gibson Tri-Burst

duluthdan

Left to right :

"Chip" The J45 Tv, couple cracks, rowdy sound.

"Ernie" Souther Jumbo, The new kid in the house, is great with tender stuff and strummed.

"Rob" Jackson Browne, The college guy, very sophisticated rich sounding grown up.

Interesting progression of sunburst sizes, and each well suited.

GibsonTriBurst_zps823090c2.jpg

Left to right :

"Chip" The J45 Tv, couple cracks, rowdy sound.

"Ernie" The new kid in the house, is great with tender stuff and strummed.

"Rob" The college guy, very sophisticated rich sounding grown up.

Interesting progression of sunburst sizes, and each well suited.

GibsonTriBurst_zps823090c2.jpg

great jumbo collection you got there Dan .

if I could have those 3 I'd get them in this order :

1.Southern Jumbo

2.Jackson B

3. J 45 tv

that said I think they are all great sounding guitars

JC

Tom, you have quite a cast there of amazing Sunbursts. In my dreams maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to add an AJ to my humble beginnings, maybe even fortunate enough to see your collection someday.

Let's Pick Indeed, Let's Pick.

Be well friend.

Dan

I love the old ones, but I hate to say it.... I think the new ones in this thread have better looking sunburst shapes than the old ones! no offense meant!

The old bursts are a bit inconsistent -- particularly from the early 40s. We actually have very little interests in the finishes ourselves -- the sound is what we collect. But the modern market seems to value looks -- I guess it always did.

Tom showing off again bahahaha jk Tom I'm in envy

We do indeed identify with our instruments, and sometime bask in reflected glory -- pitiful but true. Actually, what I try to do is to post pictures that add to the conversation. There is a RSSD, early SJ and a early J-45 in those pictures, as well as an older burst on the '35 Jumbo. I was very interested in comparing the new to the old, and I thought others might be also.

If I was really trying to show off -- well never mind[wink].

Best,

-Tom

The old bursts are a bit inconsistent -- particularly from the early 40s. We actually have very little interests in the finishes ourselves -- the sound is what we collect. But the modern market seems to value looks -- I guess it always did.

We do indeed identify with our instruments, and sometime bask in reflected glory -- pitiful but true. Actually, what I try to do is to post pictures that add to the conversation. There is a RSSD, early SJ and a early J-45 in those pictures, as well as an older burst on the '35 Jumbo. I was very interested in comparing the new to the old, and I thought others might be also.

If I was really trying to show off -- well never mind[wink].

Best,

-Tom

what. a. collection.

tone for days....

wow.

Out of all the sunbursts in these pictures I notice only one guitar has the pickguard infringing on the rosette. The 2010 J45 TV. Seems that to emulate the vintage style, as is part of the 'True Vintage' vibe, it should be a rather easy piece of the process. Don't really mean to bring up the pickguard placement question again, but this is the first time I've really noticed the dicotomy. :huh:

Out of all the sunbursts in these pictures I notice only one guitar has the pickguard infringing on the rosette. The 2010 J45 TV. Seems that to emulate the vintage style, as is part of the 'True Vintage' vibe, it should be a rather easy piece of the process. Don't really mean to bring up the pickguard placement question again, but this is the first time I've really noticed the dicotomy. :huh:

Well, Dan, now you understand why so many of us have complained about this for so long......

In fairness, there are numerous historical examples of non-teardrop guards that overlap the rosette, such as the Hummingbird. But the teardrop guard? Seems like a no-brainer.

Here are two of my bursts. I find it kind of cool that both the old Banner and the modern SJ have pretty much the same sunburst look in real life, athough they are 70 years apart.

1942 J-45:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/89d15ecf08c3e0efd745da2af58f72d70dc67b6.jpg

2012 Shery Crow SJ (the burst came out a little too bright in this photo):

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/16b359afcda305e8cd96e081e2077f96db85f14.JPG

The old Banner is my absolute favorite guitar, but as I said it in another recent thread, the Sheryl Crow SJ is the best modern Gibson I have ever played. I bought it long distance recently, and it really surpassed my high expectations. A wonderful surprise.

Lars

Hey, also noticing that on everyone of the vintage examples not one fretboard infringes on the rosette either. Has the engineering changed? Just curious as to how and when and why this may have started to occur? I better get out skiing, this stuff is starting to rattle my brains.

Hey, also noticing that on everyone of the vintage examples not one fretboard infringes on the rosette either. Has the engineering changed? Just curious as to how and when and why this may have started to occur? I better get out skiing, this stuff is starting to rattle my brains.

Maybe when Gibson started building slope-J's again in the mid 1980's after 15 years of squares, nobody bothered to look at the pickguard placement on vintage J-45's. Or maybe someone screwed up the first one of these new ones, and they decided to follow the erroneous placement rather than fix it. Who knows?

It would be good to see where they put them on those Nashville-built J-45's.

Edit: sorry I missed that you were referring to the fretboard, rather than the pickguard. JT is right of course. The 20-fret board is about 1/2" longer than the 19-fret board.

The vintage models have 19 fret fretboards. The newer models have 20 fret fretboards.

Archived