Gibson Brands Forums

When did Gibson start weight relieving their Les Paul bodies?

slavestate

Guest Farnsbarns

1983. Before that the norlins were often many pieces glued together. Sometimes one on top of the other (pancake). You'd be looking for a 52-60 or a 68-71 but be prepared to pay. The other option is a traditional or a reissue, used or new.

1983. Before that the norlins were often many pieces glued together. Sometimes one on top of the other (pancake). You'd be looking for a 52-60 or a 68-71 but be prepared to pay. The other option is a traditional or a reissue, used or new.

So any Gibson Les Paul Traditional should do me justice?

I don't think "any". I know I read somewhere people complaining that the Traditionals where in fact weight relieved and they really wished Gibson would make them full solid. Because of this I was delighted when I read this description. So a 2013 LP Traditional in Chicago Blue is at the top of my GAS list [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

A new (2013) one should be solid as are all reissues (excepting the chambered reissues/cloud 9s). Do you mind if I ask what you have against weight relief? It's not like you can tell.

A new (2013) one should be solid as are all reissues (excepting the chambered reissues/cloud 9s). Do you mind if I ask what you have against weight relief? It's not like you can tell.

I'm just looking for a heavier Les Paul. I've played several that were just too light. I'm really eager to play something that is as original as possible, that kind of thing too.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm just looking for a heavier Les Paul. I've played several that were just too light. I'm really eager to play something that is as original as possible, that kind of thing too.

As long as you play and hold them you'll be fine but do bear in mind some weight relieved Lesters are heavier than solid ones, and vice versa.

Guest Farnsbarns

that doesn't make sense [confused]

What can I say. Mahogany varies hugely in weight. Make a solid guitar out of a light piece and a weight relieved one from a heavy piece (pretty much what Gibson aims for) and the solid one can be lighter.

Just ask Pippy who owns two such guitars.

Original doesn't mean "good" you know.

rct

I knew something had been done but it is nice to be able to picture it now. Thanks!

My uncle would always say, "In MY day they were even heavier."

Having held his 70s version of my '94...yeah, they relieved us alright!

As Farns has already said, mahogany varies in weight greatly from tree to tree. I seem to remember reading that it's all to do with the individual tree's absorbtion of silicates.

More silicates = heavier timber.

The lighter chunks/trees are far less common nowadays and Gibson uses these, more expensive, blanks for the re-issues. The more commonly available regular, heavier, slabs are either weight-relieved or chambered.

A weight-relieved LP can still weigh a fair bit over 10 lbs whereas re-issues tend to be just the light side of 9 lbs. In fact I've seen some recent (solid-bodied) R-I's which have been listed as weighing 8 lbs 5 oz.

There is a picture somewhere which has been posted before with a table showing which weight of blank should be used for which LP but I'm at work at the mo. and can't do a search.

If I get some time later I'll try to track it down.

P.

Have to agree with Farnsbarns on this one - they vary a lot. I recently bought a '11 classic custom that is supposed to have weight relief - but it is almost 10 pounds. On another thread there was a fellow that found a Guitar Center sight that showed inventory around the country and showed the weight. He was looking for a Cherry sunburst Standard I think it was and there was as much as 2 pound difference in the exact same model.

So get out there and play them - you'll find plenty heavy enough for your taste.

If you are looking for a solid Les Paul get a Historic (there are a few chambered models in this line but they are clearly marked), they usually choose the lighter mahogany for Historics so the guitar will not be a boat anchor but it is solid and you can find one that is not too light.

I have a Gretsch Double Jet that has weight relief holes (mahogany back/maple top)and the thing is freaking heavy much heavier than my solid LP.

I prefer either solid or weight relieved (used from 83 until the early 2000s) over chambering. But the chambered guitars are nice. I was completely against it at first, but after finding a lot of players that I admire that can't handle the weight of a regular LP anymore (like Scott Gorham), I became open. And a friend of mine has a chambered 2007 Standard (LTD! Natural finish with 3-pc flame maple neck!), and it's a dream to play.

Archived