Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition 1942 J-45 Banner

Red 333

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tell us more!

This is a precise replica of the 1942 J-45, FON 923-45, that we used on the cut "America the Beautiful" on the companion CD to my book. You can hear a clip here.

I've not year seen the finished product but will remedy that in a couple of weeks at the Gibson Homecoming!

Thanks for the info JT.

I have really enjoyed following your project. Replicas of the featured guitars is another fantastic turn. Very cool. Kudos to you. . B)

Thanks for the kind words!

the tag price (MAP) will be $3299.99

Thanks, Keith!

The original was a beautiful and great sounding example of a first year J-45. I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing/playing one of these reissues.

I am really loving what I am seeing, hearing and playing from Gibson in 2013.... they are clearly stepping up their whole game.

Which begs the question, is the move forward related to Rens departure ?

Maybe he was getting tired and the fresh blood has moved the company forward, or maybe its just a coincidence ?

Will the J45 be the only model, or will there be a series, JT? (LG, J50, SJ?)

The original plan was to do four guitars, all rare models, all replicas of Banners I believed sounded especially good. The original 4;

SJ 2735-12 (only batch with a special run of purfling):

SoSweetSJ2735-12_zpsaed16f48.jpg

LG-1 7706H-25 (one of 139 ever made):

1943LG-17706H-25small.jpg

J-45 923-45:

America1942J-45FON923-45_zpsb55d7f32.jpg

Maple J-45. FON 2944-18:

BearcatBluesampRoad1944MapleJ-45FON2944-18_zpsb4993d73.jpg

I shipped these 4 guitars to Bozeman. The folks there did an exacting job of measuring, etc. (aided by the x-rays I sent) and sourced materials that they didn't have (e.g., special purflings). They even used state of the art lab equipment to take "sonic fingerprints" of each guitar.

It's great to see the first model, J-45 923-45, come to life! I'm anxious to experience it in person.

I'm waiting for that SJ, but the J-45 (FON 923) is beautiful. Hope they can find some material a little closer to that original pickguard than the firestripe material they normally use these days.

I'm a little curious about that J-45. I would have thought that FON would be 1942 or 1943, plus it has a firestripe rather than tortoisoid pickguard, but it doesn't appear to have a truss rod.

Archived