Gibson Brands Forums

Thalia Capo

drathbun

I've just seen this new capo by Thalia. They have developed the capo with funding from a kickstarter campaign. I must say, from watching the videos of the design and construction, that I'm impressed and I think I might order one. They AREN'T cheap! However, since I have eight guitars with five different sets of fingerboard radii...

Rickenbacker - 7.25"

Strat - 9.5"

J200 and Gretsch - 12"

Both Taylors - 15"

Martin and Godin - 16"

and the Thalia comes with seven different radius capo pads (0 for classical, 7.25, 9.5, 10, 12, 15 and 16), then one capo would suit all of my guitars. Plus the fact it can stay on the guitar behind the nut and can be operated without changing your fretting hand position on the guitar for fast, in song, capo changes. The capo pad is not rubber like most other capos, but a thermoplastic / teflon blend.

Video overview

B200-IR_2048x2048.jpg

Drathbun,

I have not tried this capo, and so I don't have first hand knowledge to impart. However, many have on the AGF and the reviews were mixed. The first few that came out actually marred the neck, and the tension was too great. I am not sure if it has been rectified. For many they are quite visually appealing.

For me... I love my Planet Waves NS Capo, my Shubbs, and the one I have been using the most lately - a plain Jane black Paige.

Perhaps it is wise to reach out to them to be sure you wont mar your great guitars. I do hear that the owners are accessible and communicate very well.

Drathbun,

I have not tried this capo, and so I don't have first hand knowledge to impart. However, many have on the AGF and the reviews were mixed. The first few that came out actually marred the neck, and the tension was too great. I am not sure if it has been rectified. For many they are quite visually appealing.

For me... I love my Planet Waves NS Capo, my Shubbs, and the one I have been using the most lately - a plain Jane black Paige.

Perhaps it is wise to reach out to them to be sure you wont mar your great guitars. I do hear that the owners are accessible and communicate very well.

All good points Sal. The version 1 of the Thalia capo had some of these issues. Thalia claims to have addressed these issues with the version 2 (featured in the OP).

Here is a vid on the comparison of the version 1 and version 2 where they address the new features that protect the neck, reduce the pressure needed to clamp it with your hand and increases the range of guitar necks the capo can handle. I should also note, that if you don't like the thermoplastic / teflon pads included, you can order a set of the same radii made from the more typical rubber.

Version 2 Changes

I had one of the original Thalia capos which had the tight spring and yes some peoples guitars were left with indents on the back of the necks. Mine was returned and they sent me a second generation one which came with a lot less spring tension. It's a nice looking capo but I find it bulky and very awkward to use so I continue to use my kyser capo and the Thalia stays in its box.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a Thalia capo. There is a Father's Day 20% off special until the end of today. They have also announced they are now supplying BOTH the vinyl and the rubber pad sets. I'm excited to try it out. With all the different radii I have on my guitars, I'll be happy if one capo will solve the tension/tuning issues inherent in every capo I've tried so far.

Here is the one I ordered. Gold with tobacco sunburst birds eye maple, to match my Gibson SJ200 Golden Age 1930's.

G200-TB_2048x2048.jpg?v=1464804108

Looks pretty similar to my old and trusty G7th capo...

I've got three G7th capos. The Thalia is not like it at all, other than the weight. The G7th is a cam-lock system. You apply the pressure by squeezing it and it holds in place until you release it. The Thalia is a spring system, where you squeeze it to open it and let it go to hold. So it is similar to the Kyser, Dunlop Trigger type systems. The difference is the pads are matched to the radius of your fretboard. Hopefully that will be a significant difference. I'll do a review after I've received mine and used it a bit. :)

what I did not notice is they had not seemed to consider things like a drop D capo and/or short cut capos (capo does not touch the Low E, B and High E strings)

I use combinations of cpaos a lot. (Full capo and a drop D or short cut, further up the neck.)

Then again, not sure how many of yous guys would do this.. perhaps I might just be weird..

what I did not notice is they had not seemed to consider things like a drop D capo and/or short cut capos (capo does not touch the Low E, B and High E strings)

I use combinations of cpaos a lot. (Full capo and a drop D or short cut, further up the neck.)

Then again, not sure how many of yous guys would do this.. perhaps I might just be weird..

They have actually...

Partial Capos

Hi Doug,

yea, I remember that I saw that page earlier, it led me to think they hadn't really put any in to production yet.

but upon a follow up, looks like the DO now have a short cut included

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collections/all/products/tuning-kit-kickstarter-edition

I've posted in the comments section, Drop D would be a good one for them to add, as well as a OXXXXXO (eg: both E strings)

Hi Doug,

yea, I remember that I saw that page earlier, it led me to think they hadn't really put any in to production yet.

but upon a follow up, looks like the DO now have a short cut included

https://www.thaliacapos.com/collections/all/products/tuning-kit-kickstarter-edition

I've posted in the comments section, Drop D would be a good one for them to add, as well as a OXXXXXO (eg: both E strings)

OXXXXO - Double Drop D would be cool!

BTW, that kit in the link you provided, is for the 100/150 series NOT the new 200 series. Previous to the 200 series, the pads were held in place with double sided tape. They snap in and out on the new 200 series. Also, the 200 series come with BOTH the vinyl and the rubber sets of pads. So, with a new 200 series capo, you could carve up the rubber set for your cut, drop D type, capo needs and use the vinyl set for standard use.

This is from the website:

"PLEASE READ: Starting on June 3, 2016 all capos now come with BOTH Rubber & Teflon Fretpad tuning kits. So you do not need this set unless you ordered before then or need a replacement. Includes 7 rubber fretpads that snap in and out of place."

OXXXXO - Double Drop D would be cool!

BTW, that kit in the link you provided, is for the 100/150 series NOT the new 200 series. Previous to the 200 series, the pads were held in place with double sided tape. They snap in and out on the new 200 series. Also, the 200 series come with BOTH the vinyl and the rubber sets of pads. So, with a new 200 series capo, you could carve up the rubber set for your cut, drop D type, capo needs and use the vinyl set for standard use.

This is from the website:

"PLEASE READ: Starting on June 3, 2016 all capos now come with BOTH Rubber & Teflon Fretpad tuning kits. So you do not need this set unless you ordered before then or need a replacement. Includes 7 rubber fretpads that snap in and out of place."

yea Doug, that's right, that was the previous kit...

I think I'll have to pick one or two, up at some point....

"Honey I need about 200 bucks for capos"

"you mean the things you have bought int he past for under 20 bucks?"

"yes, that's it exactly"

!!!SLAP!!!

yea Doug, that's right, that was the previous kit...

I think I'll have to pick one or two, up at some point....

"Honey I need about 200 bucks for capos"

"you mean the things you have bought int he past for under 20 bucks?"

"yes, that's it exactly"

!!!SLAP!!!

LOL! I told my wife about the capo and the sale for Father's Day. She said "you need to order it now!!" :)

I've bought about 43 capos in my life, from the elastic bands on cardboard with snaps on up through Kysers. I've bought that many because I'll come across some song we are allegedly going to do and then I panic because I don't have a capo and I go buy another one because I can't find the last one. Then, Other Guitar Player capos up(which sounds like crap) and I just move the chords around to make it work. I've yet to use a capo for money. Since the mid 70s I've yet to use a capo for money.

rct

well, listen my boy, with that latest acoustic acquisition of yours, you just may find, a capo (or two,, or a drop D, or a Short Cut) come in handy..

With a drop D or short cut capo, (combined with a standard capo a few frets south) you can do things mere mortals can't do.

I will say, I never (never is a strong word) use one on an electric, there's just no need. "We're professionals damit!"

ah but, with an acoustic, doing the singer/player thang,,, hmm ya sort of need at least a standard one to match keys/voice etc.

Plus if you put a couple on the headstock it improves reception.. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Thalia Capo and have done a video unboxing / review with my SJ200 Golden Age.

Thalia Capo Unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08YnQNd6SE

I should note a couple of things more. I swapped out the 12" radius for the 16" and tried it on my Martin 000-17sm. It works beautifully.

Also, as I demonstrated in the video, the Talia does NOT clamp to the headstock. They actually never claimed that. They suggest behind the nut. I doesn't pull the guitar out of tune if you place it ON the nut, but behind the nut it does pull string sharp. Of course, when I say sharp, I'm talking about 1 to 2 cents sharp - not a great deal... but enough for me.

Nice video

Just wondered if , when you get the problem of strings going sharp when first putting capo on from open strings , have you tried a little press of all the strings with the palm of your right hand just around the sound hole ....

That can sometimes correct things rather than having to retune

May not work . But give it a go if you haven't already

You shouldn't mention the Taylor though in here , some folks don't like em

Sure is pretty! But why would you want a capo that pulls the tune sharp every time, requiring retuning when applied and, I'd assume, retuning again when removed? In your case I'd reckon the changeable pads accommodating different guitars' radii is the attraction, but I dunno for sure. Don't mean to rain on your parade but having to retune when using a capo seems to defeat at least part of the purpose of a capo............ [confused]

Nice video

Just wondered if , when you get the problem of strings going sharp when first putting capo on from open strings , have you tried a little press of all the strings with the palm of your right hand just around the sound hole ....

That can sometimes correct things rather than having to retune

May not work . But give it a go if you haven't already

You shouldn't mention the Taylor though in here , some folks don't like em

That's a good suggestion Buck. I tried it and it does actually stabilize the tuning. I also tried the rubber fretpad with my J200 and the tuning only changes by, at most, 1/2 a cent - which even I can't hear. Also, I tested the tuning while storing the capo behind the nut. It does not change the tuning at all, so that's another plus.

As to the mentioning the Taylor, I know you jest, but seriously, the whole point of the Thalia capo is that I have so many different brands of guitars, the various radius fretpads make quite a difference for me. If I only had Gibson guitars, I would only need a 12" radius capo. But I also have two Taylors, a Martin, a Yamaha, a Godin, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker and a Squier.

Plus, if I only had Gibson guitars and didn't like even hearing about other brands, I would be parochial and blinkered in my attitude and cut myself of from some truly exceptional instruments. Of my nine guitars, only one is a Gibson now. Of course, it is the pinnacle of my collection!

Archived