Gibson Brands Forums

What is next on your list?

lengle1981

Looking at either this...

VS_Splash.jpg

or this.

LesPaulProphGX_BC_Splash.jpg

That was the decision I was making when deciding to by my first Epi LP. I ended up going with the Tribute Plus (and loving it!) but would still like to get a Prophecy... but the EX. I like the idea of the EMG pickups and the guitar drop-tuned for those metal-riffic tones!

Anyone have any experience with a vibramate?

Yep. I put a Vibramate and B7 on an Agile AL-3000M neckthru, probably my favorite guitar. Mounting the Bigsby is very easy with a Vibramate. I would recommend a Wilkinson roller bridge also. I have never had any tuning issues with my B7.

As to what is next on my list - a Remington 700 CDL 270. I really don't have gas for guitar related gear any more. I have more than enough stuff.

700CDL-prod_zps4bcef740.jpg

and a Nikkon Prostaff scope

prostaff_riflescope_hero_zps26c6b669.jpg

Update:

Depending on what's needed I probably won't get to pic's until next week sometime, but I'm like a kid at Christmas right now! \:D/ [laugh]

Another update:

Picked it up today and took it to my luthier. All looks good as far as structure/truss rod/neck/electronics/et al. He's going to do a fret dress, setup, new bone nut/strings. It has certainly been a working guitar, but I'm just tickled and can't wait for it to be ready to go. Pic's to follow at some point.

Oh, and pretty cool (to me anyway)...the serial # is >900 but <1000. Not sure how many of these baby's were made, or that it even makes a difference to anyone but me [biggrin]

Willow...

With the right bullet it should be good at least to 300 yards with either mulie or whitetail... I can't remember the twist but as I recall the 700 in 270 used to be pretty versatile with bullets. Even with a scope and and rest, I'm not sure my eyes would handle 300 yards any more even with a moa barrel/bullet/load.

m

Another update:

Picked it up today and took it to my luthier. All looks good as far as structure/truss rod/neck/electronics/et al. He's going to do a fret dress, setup, new bone nut/strings. It has certainly been a working guitar, but I'm just tickled and can't wait for it to be ready to go. Pic's to follow at some point.

Oh, and pretty cool (to me anyway)...the serial # is >900 but <1000. Not sure how many of these baby's were made, or that it even makes a difference to anyone but me [biggrin]

Congrats Dennis.

I did something similar last year in picking up a '66 Epi Cortez acoustic. It's a clone to the Gibson B25, which I played for over twenty years & then traded off for my J100 Xtra. Always liked the small body Gibson acoustics, and it's been a real treat to travel back a bit in time & revisit an old guitar friend.

I'm sure you'll have a blast with the Guild!

I'm wanting a Pelham Blue Firebird. Going to the local music store tomorrow to see if they can order one. Some of the music store websites say that they will be available in June.

I put one on order today. June delivery is the earliest that Epiphone would promise.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2013/Ltd-Ed-TV-Pelham-Blue-Collection.aspx

That's a nice looking guitar Greybeard!

My brain is struggling a bit to visualise how I'd tune it up whilst standing up - but its probably simple enough.

Again - cool choice - all the best with it!

I have a Firebird with the Steinberger tuners on it now. It didn't take long to get used to them. They are really sensitive since they have such a high ratio and it takes a few more turns to get there.

The first guitar I bought for myself was in 1963 and it was a new Gibson Pelham Blue Firebird that the local music store had hanging on the wall. It was $325 at the time and I had to pay it off over six months working part time after school. Until that one, my folks had been supplying my instruments. I appreciated everything they did but I knew they couldn't afford much through those years and were probably doing without things for themselves to get me what I had. I parted with that Firebird in 1989 when a collector made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I used that to fund musical instruments for my kids.

This new one isn't going to cost much more than that first one did and its mostly a nostalgic thing since I have a lot of fond memories of that first one.

Another update:

Edit: replaced ghost image pic of the back

022_zps13cdd656.jpg

790e6f9b-a848-49c3-8ef6-7378b60a265f_zps0788388e.jpg

Archived