Gibson Brands Forums

Mojo

BluesKing777

Here's a thought that just occurred to me.... from personal experience....

We all want some "Mojo' with an old Gibson,

BUT

Do you want that awful smell?

(Just sold a few more new guitars for them and kept a few oldies for me!)

BluesKing777.

I've lately been criss-crossing the US continent, landing in LA, Seattle, Boston, Kalamazoo, NYC, etc., with this battle weary 1943 SJ:

WhenJohnny1943SJNoFON.jpg

My one request everywhere I speak is that no one leave the room before holding the one Banner Gibson that has been documented to have gone to the WWII battle front.

The guitar has mojo to spare, having lost nearly all of its finish and smelling like it lived a fair portion of its life in foxholes, which it did.

I'll take the mojo and the related smell for this one. It's an honor.

This summer I've got book talk/playing gigs around Europe and I'll be taking the SJ and encouraging all I meet to hold and play the thing.

A guitar can never have too much mojo ... regardless of smell.

It is hard not to look at an old guitar and not try to think about how this happened to it or that.

True story - I played a 1958 Tele for a whole lot of decades. I finally decided to sell it to a friend. A couple of months later he calls and asks if I want to buy it back. When I asked him why he said because that guitar and I had become so associated together that he did not think he would ever be able to consider it his.

It is hard not to look at an old guitar and not try to think about how this happened to it or that.

True story - I played a 1958 Tele for a whole lot of decades. I finally decided to sell it to a friend. A couple of months later he calls and asks if I want to buy it back. When I asked him why he said because that guitar and I had become so associated together that he did not think he would ever be able to consider it his.

I could consider it mine if I had the cash.

I had to pass up that 1959 Telecaster at Southworth cause of the J200 Prototype back in April 1989. It was a really good one.

Great Story!.....or a lie....[scared]

Remember that guitar in a museum in Tennessee

The nameplate on the glass brought back twenty melodies

And the scratches on the face told of all the times he fell

Singin' all the stories he could tell

And oh, the stories it could tell

And I'll bet you it still rings like a bell

And I wish that we could sit back on a bed in some hotel

And listen to the stories it could tell

The Tazarna Kid

Great Story!.....or a lie....[scared]

Nah, it is really true. The resolution was he had the guitar re-finished (I had already stripped off what remained of the original finish and gave it a shot a clear coat which by the time I sold it was also pretty much gone) which helped erase what I had wrought.

This is the guitar before I sold it.

1958Tele.jpg

WOW! The stories that guitar has inside of it. Real mojo. You can't buy that. It's got to be earned.

Aaah - but are we really just living vicariously through the Mojo that is the result of somebody's else's history with the guitar?

Archived