Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson J 35

MJW

Have just ordered my J 35 here in Canada, if they can find one,which will be an addition to my Epi Hummingbird, Dot Studio and Garrison 30. Its amazing that it was $25 cheaper in Canada $1675, than $1699 in the US. All the reviews seem positive so I hope I made the right choice. After over 40 yrs of picking this will be my first real Gibson! Stay tuned.

JAddison, that is a former J45, sold about a year ago. I still miss it, but this J35 will be even better, I believe... Much more responsive than the 45 was.

Rb

The one I played early this week was pretty responsive too, as I said on another thread I started about this model, if I didn't have a J-45 and a J-50 at the minute I'd have been all over it like a rash. Still tempted to a point, but I have no valid reason.

The one I played early this week was pretty responsive too, as I said on another thread I started about this model, if I didn't have a J-45 and a J-50 at the minute I'd have been all over it like a rash. Still tempted to a point, but I have no valid reason.

I also found the J35 more responsive when playing against a J45 in the shop (both brand new guitars) but I did find the J45 to be more rich.

For me the 35 had that 'can't put it down' feeling. I haven't had that with a 45.

Here is a dilemma;

New J35 - £1200

Second hand J45 - £1200

Got to try one out yesterday.

I liked it a lot. Beefier neck than both the J-45 and SJ I use to own, but still comfortable.

It seemed a bit brighter and resonate to my ear, but still maintained the inherent Gibson

percussive charm that is so loved.

Fit and finish was arguably one of the best I've seen on a new Acoustic out of Bozeman.

Sitka top was gorgeous. Mahogany was well book-matched with beautiful grain.

My intention was just to try out this guitar, as I cannot justify an additional guitar

at the moment.( I know....I know ,hold back the comments please . LOL)

Believe me ,it was all I could do to walk out of the without pulling out the "Drastic Plastic".

In my mind this guitar will be a winner for Gibson much the same as the 2012 D-18

is for Martin.

Brought mine home yesterday. The dealer where I got it had two to compare. They both sounded and played almost identically, so I just picked the one that I thought had the nicer wood grain on the back and sides, since the tops looked pretty much the same.

I agree with The G, the fit and finish on this guitar is as good as or better than any I've seen on any Gibson I've owned or played. Still can't figure out how they did it at this price point. I guess I could look at it from the other side....why can't any manufacturer produce as nice a guitar for this kind of money?? Even though it's no where cheap for a guitar, it's quite a bit less than any current Gibson acoustic. I've had a couple of J45's and never could really bond with them, this guitar just feels and sounds "right". It's a perfect complement to my AJ.

I just traded my 2006 Martin D18V for one. I was struggling with the Mod V neck. With the shorter scale of the J35 things feel much better. Even with the lighter strings, the J35 is as loud or louder then the Martin. It's going to be a cannon when it opens up.

I traded a 2009 D18 (a great D18), for my J35. No regrets at all, and I consider myself to be pretty much a Martin guy. In the week I have had the J 35 it has opened up significantly. It is really starting to blossom. It was built in early March, so it was very tight. Can't imagine what it will sound like in a year. I put a bone saddle and bone pins in it, tweaked the truss rod and lowered the nut slots just a bit, and am using DAddiaro lights on it. It sounds absolutely HUGH and plays so easily.

I have owned more than 100 guitars in the 45 years I have been playing. This one is special.

RB

I traded a 2009 D18 (a great D18), for my J35. No regrets at all, and I consider myself to be pretty much a Martin guy. In the week I have had the J 35 it has opened up significantly. It is really starting to blossom. It was built in early March, so it was very tight. Can't imagine what it will sound like in a year. I put a bone saddle and bone pins in it, tweaked the truss rod and lowered the nut slots just a bit, and am using DAddiaro lights on it. It sounds absolutely HUGH and plays so easily.

I have owned more than 100 guitars in the 45 years I have been playing. This one is special.

RB

RB, mine was dated March 11. I am also a Martin guy and I have no regrets with my trade for the J35. I swear I could hear it getting louder as I played it yesterday. What size bridge pins do these take?

Brewboy, I use the same pins that I have always used in my Martins. Not sure of the actual size, but they fit very nicely and don't stick up like they do in a Martin (prior to reaming the holes a bit).

I think mine was born March 13 if I recall.

RB

I have chimed in on another thread about the J-35, as I played one locally and thought it was great. I immediately noticed that it was light. For example, Sweetwater has 4 in stock, and what I like about what they do is besides the pictures of each specific one, they also list the weights:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS35ANNH

For comparison my 2007 J-45TV is about 4lbs. 2oz. and my J-50 is about 4lbs. 7oz. My J45-TV is the best sounding guitar, and most responsive, I have ever owned, and as you might surmise I think weight has much to do with it in addition to specs. The J-35 was noticeably lighter than my J-50, and I am not surprised I liked its sound so much.

Sweetwater also has a J-50 on their site, and its weight is listed as 4lbs. 10oz.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS50ANNH/

I think if I were buying through the internet without playing the specific model, the weights are good details to know and help one choose.

Its funny how much lighter a guitar can feel just a few ounces under the next guitar. Its hard to put into words what makes the new J35 so special.... one thing I can say is that I would not change a thing about how it sounds or plays... its just perfect.... I don't know how they did it but I would chose this guitar over just about any of the high end slope shoulders I have ever played.... and only the very sweetest of the vintage gibson slopes could outdo this guitar for me.... and all of those are waaaaaaaayyyyyy out of this price range.

I wonder how much it has to do with the smaller advanced jumbo style bridge combined with the deeper drop in saddle... a perfect and unique combo perhaps? its interesting to me that they still have the through saddle pictured on the Gibson site for the new J35 in the specs section.

I want one in sunburst. [thumbup]

Note to Gibson:

If and when you come out with a burst option on the J-35,please don't make the back as dark as the J-45.

Would love to be able to see the grain in the wood.

Archived