Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Junk at WalMart

ksdaddy

So yesterday I went into Walmart to grab some lunch (a few plums and a bag of dried berries... I'm a moody s.o.b.) and I strolled through the closeout section, which is a couple aisles of discontinued and deeply discounted stuff. There were 4 Peavey guitar packs stacked up there. I said 'what the heck" and grabbed one.

So it's a generic dreadnaught Martin looking thing. The top is some kind of mystery plywood reminiscent of 60s Stellas... maybe some kind of birch, I don't know. The sides, back, and neck were all sprayed flat black. Hiding what, I don't know. No idea what the board is but it's real wood of some kind, even looks like rosewood. The tuners are Ping-like, cast housings, etc. The fret ends were predictably rough but I sat and watched Jeopardy last night and cleaned them up with a modified 3 corner file. The truss rod was out of whack but the rod actually worked great. In fact it's 'too straight' now and I need to back it off a little.

The nut is weird, it's like an L shape and held on with 2 screws. Easy to remove and sand down from underneath, which I did. It came with this odd plastic thing that clipped onto two tabs that stuck out of each side of the nut. It was like one of those gizmos the Arthur Godfrey ukes had in the 50s where you could push down on one button and make a chord. 4 buttons enabling you to instantly play G, C, D, and Em. It pops on and off in a second or two. No excuse for ANYONE to not play a guitar.

So is it a piece of crap? You betcha. Will it get left in the back seat of whatever I'm driving? You betcha. it can be my office guitar, car guitar, garage guitar too. Does it play and sound okay? Ehhhh, I'll say this: I've played a lot worse that cost a lot more. It came with a strap, that chord gizmo thing, and one of those clip on tuners kinda like a Snark. Works pretty good too!

Fifty bucks out the door. Fifty freakin' bucks.

I predict within a year the top braces will let go or the neck joint will separate. Whatever. It's my Bic lighter guitar. Buy it cheap, use it until it quits, throw it away.

From Wal-Marts web site.... Don't know what Catalpa is. Its sort of a joke how it say's its top is both Spruce and Basswood [biggrin]

The full-size Peavey Acoustic Guitar with Chord Buddy features expertly machined tuners and a spruce top. The Peavey Acoustic Guitar has a rosewood fretboard, pin-style bridge and an adjustable truss rod. The traditional X-bracing, dot inlays and a comfort-shaped catalpa neck give the Peavey Acoustic Guitar a classic feel and great sound. This Peavey Guitar comes with a clip-on digital tuner, which will keep it sounding good, as well as a shoulder strap and guitar picks. The Peavey Acoustic Guitar also comes with 20 free play-along PerformaTrack song downloads, so you can practice.

Peavey Acoustic Guitar with Chord Buddy:

* Basswood top

* Basswood back and sides

* Catalpa neck

* Adjustable truss rod

* Rosewood fingerboard

* Rosewood bridge

* Chrome die cast tuners

* Fan shape traditional bracing

* ABS dot inlays

* Gloss polyurethane finish

* Bright chrome hardware finish

* Plastic nut

* Plastic compensated saddle

* ABS binding

* Includes guitar, Chord Buddy, clip-on digital tuner, picks, strap and free 20 play along PerformaTrack song downloads

I Like It!

Not sure about the 'Chord Buddy' but the rest? For Fifty Bucks?!? Heck Yeah!

And, as you say, that price included a tuner, strap, picks and some background tracks!

In 10 years time it will have amassed some mojo into the bargain. If it lasts that long. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Good Score!

[thumbup]

P.

I'm going to check out my local walmart and see if i can pick that guitar up. I have an old Ventura acoustic that has seen better days so I never play it. I've been wanting to get back into acoustic, nows my chance. [smile]

A couple of months ago Walmart was selling off little 39 key keyboards for only $15 and they sounded great for such a cheap little bit of gear and even had about 50 voices plus different rythyms.I bought one but brought it back because a couple of keys didn't work-I brought it back and made 2 more trips back for exchanges because each one had something in it that didn't work.I know not to expect much for that price but when you buy something new,whatever the price,you expect it to work.In the meantime I collect diecast car,truck and motorcycle models and find them much much cheaper at Walmart than any of the online sites that I shop at-if only they had a decent and varied inventory.

I went to order a 1:18 model of a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO last week because it was marked down to $39.95 from about $60 but cancelled at the checkout when the shipping and handling was $35.

I gave a basic lesson to a co-worker on a Wallmart guitar that said it was by Gibson. The only thing I did not like was the action was high and the tuners didn't work that great, but a guitar is a guitar. Great find. [thumbup]

Catalpa (pronounced "caw-taw-ba" in the South) is the tree that harbors the fat green or yellow (depending on the year) fishing worms...everybody down here has at least 1 tree on their property, besides me....I raid my neighbors, the worms work as well thawed from frozen as they do fresh.

it's a dense, wet wood that doesn't burn even in a fireplace....I think it's a type of Poplar.

that guitar looks quite nice.....i'd keep some extra-light strings on it, maybe it'll last a while.

and if not...you can burn it in your fireplace, except the Caw-taw-ba [biggrin]

any good worms inside it? [lol]

oops, edit: it's also the "Indian Cigar" tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Basswood AND Spruce top? That's not so strange. Actually it's the definition of laminate. Some sort of wood topped with some sort of would, topped with some sort of wud. [wink]

Now, Scot.. You know, and I know, that 'toss it' doesn't enter into your guit tar vocabulary. You will, in all likelihood fix this bastage child guitar when it implodes. That or re-purpose it as a wheel chock for changing tires.

And the chord gizmo... no coincidence the buttons are the same as on a GuitarZero guitar-like object.

Basswood AND Spruce top? That's not so strange. Actually it's the definition of laminate. Some sort of wood topped with some sort of would, topped with some sort of wud. [wink]

Now, Scot.. You know, and I know, that 'toss it' doesn't enter into your guit tar vocabulary. You will, in all likelihood fix this bastage child guitar when it implodes. That or re-purpose it as a wheel chock for changing tires.

And the chord gizmo... no coincidence the buttons are the same as on a GuitarZero guitar-like object.

Maybe, I was looking at the paragraph say's it's Spruce and the listed spec's in built-point say's it's Basswood.

Catalpa (pronounced "caw-taw-ba" in the South) is the tree that harbors the fat green or yellow (depending on the year) fishing worms...everybody down here has at least 1 tree on their property, besides me....I raid my neighbors, the worms work as well thawed from frozen as they do fresh.

it's a dense, wet wood that doesn't burn even in a fireplace....I think it's a type of Poplar.

that guitar looks quite nice.....i'd keep some extra-light strings on it, maybe it'll last a while.

and if not...you can burn it in your fireplace, except the Caw-taw-ba [biggrin]

any good worms inside it? [lol]

oops, edit: it's also the "Indian Cigar" tree.

We got lot's of Poplar trees around NC so it maybe some of those.

Catalpa is an awesome tree. I don't know about its use for guitar wood, though.

50 bucks for a dreadnought-like guitar? That's tough to beat. I thought my Oscar Schmidt by Washburn for $100 was a great deal. Well, I still think so!

Archived