Gibson Brands Forums

Swap for a J35

brannon67

I have a question for you guys. You know I am trying to sell a J45 I have, because I have a 10 year old one thats my baby, so I dont need another one, so. I have a chance to swap my J45 for a new, unused J35, considering that a new J35 goes for $1600.00, and a used J45 goes for $1200-$1600. Is this a good deal, would you guys do it considering my situation?

Does the new, used J-35 come with the warranty?

It's not a bad deal. The more strategic traders here might have ways to make it better, but I possess no such talent. If you have a used J-45 and can get ahold of a new J-35 with warranty then I would go for it and ask for some strings, a strap and whatever else you need to be up and running.

If the J-35 does NOT come with warranty, I would expect about 4-500 to change hands with the guitar, since it might be new, but it's used.

Yes, the J35 is new, with warranty, etc, from a dealer. He said he would swap me even. I would keep this J45, but I play my 10 year old J45 all the time, its older, and has opened up, and sounds great. I just want something different, and in a natural finish as well.

yes, its an awesome deal, and you guys help me confirm it. NOw I have to find a box to ship the J45 to the dealer and get my new J35. I guess I will be visiting my local guitar shop this weekend for a box.

I wouldn't do it - J35 isn't so different from your J45 to achieve your objective; J45 will hold its value better once the current J35 NAT obsession subsides.

wait for a real alternative to your keeper j45

I wouldn't do it - J35 isn't so different from your J45 to achieve your objective; J45 will hold its value better once the current J35 NAT obsession subsides.

wait for a real alternative to your keeper j45

Since he already has two J-45's, he's pretty obviously into slope J's. I would say the J-35 will give a bit more visual variety, even if it is pretty similar to a J-45.

I have two slope J's--a 1948 J-45 and a re-issue 1943 SJ. They are different from each other both sonically and visually, and he may find a similar difference between the J-35 and the J-45. Then again, he may not.

:(

At the often found 40% off, a new J-35 with a MSRP of $2190 should cost you $1314 plus your local tax. Should you swap? Your newish J45 might sell for more that $1314, but likely not by much.

Sure wish we could buy them new for that much in Canada!

And with limited lifetime warranty you get in the US.

FWIW:

Just played a new J35 today and was completely unimpressed.

Fresh strings, set up just fine, but the tone was lacking.

Rather quiet overall & slightly tinny on the upper strings.

This is the only one I've played, and I'm sure there are

some good ones out there, but based on today's experience,

I'd have to play any J35 under consideration before buying it,

or otherwise have full return rights.

Nice looking, but without the tone, who cares?

Since he already has two J-45's, he's pretty obviously into slope J's. I would say the J-35 will give a bit more visual variety, even if it is pretty similar to a J-45.

I have two slope J's--a 1948 J-45 and a re-issue 1943 SJ. They are different from each other both sonically and visually, and he may find a similar difference between the J-35 and the J-45. Then again, he may not.

Possible - he asked if other forum members would do it, & I answered that I wouldn't.

Now, I've had 2 slopes at a time, paired this way:

1) a Southern Jumbo (14 fret short scale mahogany) & a Roy Smeck Radio Grande (2002 Reissue - 12 fret RW short scale)

and later:

2) a Fullers J35 (14 fret mahogany short scale) and a John Walker Clark Fork (long scale 14 fret RW).

I now have a RW J45 and am looking for another slope - but it will be a mahogany short scale preferably but not necessarily 12 fret, probably a Walker, a Kopp or a Greven - maybe even another FVG J35.

For me, I wouldn't have 2 mahogany very similar slopes as my only 2 slopes (If I had half a dozen, that'd be a different story :-)

As I said, "for me" - which is what he originally asked - so, no, I wouldn't get the J35.

Archived