Gibson Brands Forums

I quit again

ksdaddy

Yeah, I had quit in 1996 for just under 2 years. Not sure why I went back, but I did. I used the patch for a week, then chewed Red Man for a month or so.

Quit again in 2007, used the patch for 6 weeks maybe (I forget now)... tapered the dosage down, 21mg to 14 to 7 to nothing. Went over 2 years. I have no idea why I went back.

Back in January when Penny quit I cut back to almost nothing for a week or so. One in the morning, one at night. I ate a lot of those Nicorette lozenges. They made me nasty. I'd rip anyone's head off that looked at me sideways.

Last Thursday night I just had one last smoke before bed and that was the last one. No patch, no gum, no lozenges, nothing. Cold turkey. I decided it was mind over matter and I knew I'd put in some rough days. Well, it wasn't bad. I did some research into how and why nicotine reprograms our brains and how, given a fairly brief period with absolutely NO nicotine in your system, your brain will reset itself.

All weekend long I avoided stressful situations and "too much excitement". I had the luxury of being able to DO that. I napped a lot. I did nothing but hold the couch down and stare. I was in a fog. I still am, but less of a fog. That's part of the reprogramming I guess.

It helps that Penny no longer smokes and we've never smoked in the new house. It was inconvenient to go into a far corner of the garage to light up, so it became less frequent.

I had to face my demons one by one; the drive to and from work, the normal cigarette breaks, having a smoke with my coffee in the morning, etc. Yesterday was awful because I mowed some of my 3 acres. Normally I wear my iPod and when an especially good tune comes on I'd light up. I smoked a lot on the lawnmower. Yesterday I used my iPhone and tuned in to some oldies internet streaming radio. I had less control over what I heard and they played enough obscure stuff that it distracted me (somewhat) from the urge to smoke.

The chemical thing should be about gone now but the physical cues will continue.

Did I quit for good this time? I have no idea. Hopefully so.

Good luck with the quits! I smoked regular for ten years when I was younger and haven't smoked for fifteen years. Both cost and health caught up with me. It simply wasn't as fun as it was for the first two years when I was sixteen. Head for the ice water instead of coffee or alcohol. It's been difficult lately at jams where everybody smokes, not to pound a few ... but that's a total gripe about the atmosphere of jams where people do smoke and smoke other stuff and binge drink ... I wish it could be cleaned up but I don't believe it can. People like their smokes and plenty of folks do. Today I know my body would let me down should I take it up regular again. My home space has been completely purged of cigarette relatedness, I don't keep regular friends who want to smoke, other than necessary and for work. Boy when it gets in your system it is uncomfortable until it leaves. About six weeks.

Oscar Wilde: Giving up smoking is perfectly easy, I've done it hundreds of times.

Funny you posted that. I'd never heard it but used to say basically the same thing...it's easy, I've quit 6 or 7 times.

I finally quite about 30 years ago, after smoking for about 20 or so. Several years ago, my Doctor told me that it was basically the smartest decision I'd ever made concerning my overall health, given the numerous adverse effects that tobacco has on just about every part of your body. [scared]

Good on ya ksd, and keep it up. I'm sure you've already noticed some positive effects on your overall metabolism, health, etc. [thumbup]

Nicotine is nasty stuff. You'll know you really have it beat when someone lights up and you smell the second hand smoke and it's repulsive to you [laugh]

Funny you posted that. I'd never heard it but used to say basically the same thing...it's easy, I've quit 6 or 7 times.

I finally quite about 30 years ago, after smoking for about 20 or so. Several years ago, my Doctor told me that it was basically the smartest decision I'd ever made concerning my overall health, given the numerous adverse effects that tobacco has on just about every part of your body. [scared]

Good on ya ksd, and keep it up. I'm sure you've already noticed some positive effects on your overall metabolism, health, etc. [thumbup]

Nicotine is nasty stuff. You'll know you really have it beat when someone lights up and you smell the second hand smoke and it's repulsive to you [laugh]

AMEN! I cannot STAND anyone smoking around me, anymore! I just Leave, if at all possible!

CB

ksdaddy, I smoked 1/2 to a whole pack a day for 38 years...sometimes more if I was drinking...which was a lot. I watched my mom die of emphysema, which wasn't pretty. I quit on August 1, 2007. It was easy for 2 or 3 days and hard as hell for about 2 or 3 months, but after that it got easier every day. Good luck to you. I hope you make it this time.

I've been clean, sober and smoke-free since 2007. I did quit 2 times previously to this date but went back. I got it licked now as I will tolerate being around my smoking friend's if we are at a smoking area but it dose make me feel nauseous to be around it. I wouldn't want to be around it for long periods of time, being as your significant other has quit now you should have it by the balls to. Grats! [thumbup]

ksdaddy, I smoked 1/2 to a whole pack a day for 38 years...sometimes more if I was drinking...which was a lot. I watched my mom die of emphysema, which wasn't pretty. I quit on August 1, 2007. It was easy for 2 or 3 days and hard as hell for about 2 or 3 months, but after that it got easier every day. Good luck to you. I hope you make it this time.

I kicked it all on August 29th 2007 so we on the same track bro! It was very hard for a few years and I did end up getting help for my drug/drinking addiction but I did make it out relatively unscathed. Thank goodness!!

I've lost count of the number of times I have quit the dirty old habit in the past 45 years.the longest time I had quit was 9 or 10 months then one day the urge hit me and I decided thatI'd just smoke i package to kill the urge-bad move-I went right back on them.Two years ago I went to get bloodwork done at one of our community health labs.It was a very cold,windy,rain,day so I was wearing a leather jacket.I was just finishing a cigarette as I got out of the truck and when I walked into the waiting room I took a seat in the front row,next to a very attractive 30 something woman.She glared at me as if I had pinched her boob or something and immediately got up and took a seat as far from me as possible.I knew right away why she did it,the smell of smoke had permeated mty leather jacket and I smelled rank as of that day almost exactly 2 years ago I haven't had asingle cigarette and I never even get a craving.

I'd advise anyone who wants to stop smoking to never quit quitting because it sometimes takes a dozen tries or more but all it takes is for something to entice you to quit for good.The secret is to never give up.I won't go back to them because since I've quit I've been in stores and supermarkets etc. when obvious smokers walk by and not even smoking but they stink like they bathed in a giant ashtray.The smell almost makes me gag now and I shudder to think that I once perpetually stank like that too.

Congratulations. I quit eleven years ago this October. I have a post it on the wall behind my basement work bench with the date and time of my last cigarette (10/21/02 6:34pm). Its just there to remind me of how far I've come. I was a very good smoker for well over 44 years. Near the end I was going through a carton about every 3-4 days. I couldn't afford to do that today.

Now I can pick up any of my amps and walk more than 6 steps without putting it down and coughing up a lung. I can walk up the basement steps without stopping half way up to catch my breath. My clothes, hair, and breath no longer stink. I fit into any social situation without running outside to "burn one down". Its given me a whole new freedom I havn't known since 1957 when I started playing clubs. I smoked to look cool and act tuff. HA!!! At today's prices (in my area) I estimate that between my wife and I we have saved about $60,000!!

Once again... CONGRATULATIONS...stick with it. You can do it!!!!!!!!!

Archived