Gibson Brands Forums

1995 DOVE

Faron

Hey all, just picked this puppy up. I fell in love with it at first site. HOWEVER, I am a bit puzzled about the back painted peghead. I have seen a 94 Doves in Flight with a painted black peghead but searched high and low for information on a 95. I does NOT appear to be a repaired headstock and everything is stock. It's like the guitar was never played. Can anyone enlighten me about this model or the painted black peghead? As a side note, the nut width on this is 1 3/4.

post-45866-095588100 1371264830_thumb.jpg

post-45866-057320100 1371264905_thumb.jpg

post-45866-017517100 1371264940_thumb.jpg

post-45866-075808100 1371265042_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on that beauty & burst.

Admit I have a weak spot for those neck/headstock paint-jobs, but never seen it on a Dove.

Maybe it's connected to the general finish - hey man, this thing is RED.

Please post sounds -

Wow! Really eye catching , understated, beautiful. Bet it sounds even better than it looks. I thought DIF had the MOP bird inlays flying up the fingerboard? Can't read the picture of the orange label - I assume it says its a DIF. Sorry, not any help. Congrats!!

Take this with a grain of salt as I am far from an expert on Bozeman-made guitars but while stingers on the back of the headstock have appeared on some Gibson acoustics in the past like J-200s, they also have been known to apply one to hide some kind of a flaw. Not saying this is the case with your guitar - just a possibility. It might be that Gibson just made a run of the DIF with that decorative characteristic. I happen to like the look though.

Ahh . . . a stinger. . Very nice.

Do you know if it's a factory stinger or was it added by a previous owner?

Here's a new J-200 with stinger - http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/13176/Gibson-SJ-200-Custom-AcousticElectric-Guitar-Vintage-Sunburst-With-Natural-Back-/

Here's an interesting bit - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (from here - http://malikon.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=guitar&action=display&thread=271 )

For the Stinger Series Gibson Acoustic guitars we [Gibson Custom Art and Historic] go to Bozeman Montana where the best acoustic guitars ever built are being built today. At Guitarsale.com we are a fan of the work and design of these new acoustics. The tops are all pre tensioned, the braces scalloped and they use nitro-cellulous lacquer. The acoustic flat top Custom Shop is in Bozeman Montana. They have three people who man and build the Custom Shop guitars. For the Stinger Series acoustic flat tops we talked with Eric Klotz. He is another great and caring individual. Eric did the special wood pull and watched over the construction. We outlined our specifications to him and between him and Ren Ferguson they perfected the thought. They built for us five models, a J-45, a Southern Jumbo, an Advanced Jumbo, a Hummingbird and an SJ 200 Custom in their Custom Shop. These guitars shared specifications such as Brazilian Rosewood back/sides, bridge and fret board, bone saddle and nut, and select for tone, Adirondack Spruce tops. These rare and fine Stinger Series Acoustic guitars will be the prize of the acoustic guitar world in short order. There were eight Stinger Series AJ guitars ( AJ stands for Advanced Jumbo which may be the best acoustic guitar ever designed ). There were five Stinger Series SJ ( SJ stands for Southern Jumbo an amazingly spirited guitar ) There were five Stinger Series J45 ( the J45 is the work horse of the recording industry, some say it is the most recorded acoustic of all time ) There were five Stinger Series Hummingbird acoustics ( the Hummingbird is the sixties but built with Brazilian Rosewood and an Adirondack top it is eternal ) There were five Stinger Series SJ 200 Custom acoustic guitars ( the SJ 200 was designed and originally built in the thirties out of Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack Spruce and tuned with a dip in the mid range so a performer could sing through it ). These guitars though stunning in appearance are the new standard for tone.

Hey all, thanks for the input. Here is what I know about it so far. In 1993/94, there was a Dove Montana Special. That run had a painted black stinger on it. Then in Gruhn's Guide it states "Dove Montana Special: no specs available: 1995-96". I do not have a recent copy of the guide. Online, it appears there is more information on the guitar in the back pages (around 255 or so). Does anyone have a recent copy of the guide. Also,

I am up in the air about the type of top on the guitar. I have a custom shop Hummingbird with an Adirondack top and mystic rosewood sides. This top grain on the Dove almost matches to a T the Hummingbird's Adirondack top. Here is a link to high rez pics. Again, thanks for all your input. photobucket of dove pics

• 7 years later...
6 hours ago, MaconGa said:

Mine is a 91 Bozeman and its not handpainted...If that helps

Hey Maconga. The chance Faron sees this is not overwhelming - he hasn't been much on since this thread 7 years ago. Then again why not try - we'll see.                                                                                                                                      And YES, , , stingers are still cool and I still don't have one in the herd here. 

Welcome

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Hey Maconga. The chance Faron sees this is not overwhelming - he hasn't been much on since this thread 7 years ago. Then again why not try - we'll see.                                                                                                                                      And YES, , , stingers are still cool and I still don't have one in the herd here. 

Welcome

My wife's 1960 J200 has a stinger.  But that is it for us.

• 1 month later...

Thanks.....Im not up on these Forums...enjoy info ....You really have to be careful when selling these fine  i nstuments these days ....EVERYBODY makes a [less than a grand] guitar... Had a friend the otherday brin g a "Shenendoah" over.....It was noise but I showed him/played a "02 Songbird A/E dreadnaught and ...Gibson had major tone over that Martin... SIT DOWN and feel tha guitar not just buy it unplayed! I have several Gibsons for sALE  but Im 66 and health is dropping BUT every other Friday nite/Saturday...Slide my SG in on some Duane licks...Note....I went up to Duanes grave a month ago on a Friday nite [ALL Alone} and played my Songbird ,Hummin gbird ect and the air was PERFECT...its nice down on tha river....Then I heard someone off in the distance " Its comein  from over here"....so I grabbed my rigs and GONE!  P! { REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN]!people!   Peaceout

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1