Gibson Brands Forums

My Daughter Picked.........

Murph

I took my girl to Mayberry Music in Southern Illinois Sat to pick her own new acoustic. They are a Gibson dealer but her budget wasn't THAT high, although I was willing to go 1K.

Takamine, Gretch, Mexican Martins, Yamaha and Taylors were all in the room. Here's what she kept going back to, and brought home.....

100_2350_zps5760ecdb.jpg

EJ200ce.

I gotta say I was SHOCKED at how well built, and good this $399.00 guitar is. Solid top, great action, monster plugged in tones, built in tuner.

They had a 1964 Inspired Texan that had a neck issue, but she liked this better anyway...

Murph, I'm in a similar boat to BBG. Looking for a 'beater'. Well, something I can prop up behind the couch and not worry about dings, etc. But closer o Gibson in feel than, lets say a Taylor! Is this a 'Masterbuilt' ? There seem to be fewer Beautiful Jumbo! Look good up on that new porch!

Are these epiphones exact copies of the Gibson counterparts ? Been trying to raise cash for a beater guitar for parties and the garden etc. And was wondering about neck sizes . be nice to not notice a difference.

Good luck to the murphette

The standard Epiphone versions of Gibson models can be fine guitars in their own right, but they are more or less replicas in the cosmetic sense only. For instance, with the exception of the Epiphone EL-00, they are long-scale. Body dimensions may also differ (though Epiphone has made great strides recently in fixing this--for instance, the slope shoulder dreads made in the last few years often have the true Gibson shape, while those made earlier had wider waists). Nut widths are usually less, too. Backs or sides are often laminated (varies by guitar and sometimes when they are made), and necks usually have a scarf joint (again, varies by model).

Notwithstanding, these standard Epiphones are often fine guitars, as I said, with their own pleasant voices (but not necessarily sonic replicas of their Gibson counterparts). Not too long ago, I played both the EJ-200 Artist and the Hummingbird Artist--both $200 guitars--and I was absolutely astounded at how nice they sounded and played.

The Masterbilt series is quite good--though not meant to duplicate any particular Gibson model. They have their own, vaguely vintage look, and can be distinguished from other Epiphones by their asymmetrical "notched" headstock (vs. the elongated "paddle" found on standard Epiphones), "stick pin" inlay, and script Epiphone logo--features found on pre-Gibson Epiphones. They can easily keep company with most other guitars of any brand, despite their budget-friendly price, and are built with good quality wood and components, and are made carefully. Sadly, these are mostly discontinued.

The Elitist series (also discontinued) were Japanese-made version of the J-45, J-200, and L-00, built true to Gibson specs and quality in all respects (except they had poly and not nitro finishes).

Red 333

Some Epiphones:

Top: Masterbilt AJ-500RC 12-fret with cedar top, rosewood b+S; Masterbilt AJ-500R, rosewood b+s; Masterbilt DR-500M, hog b+S; Elitist J-200

Bottom: Elitist Texan, Paul McCartney Elitist Texan (2); EL-00

252xj.jpg

I think I hear mre favorable comments about Eastman guitars than any of the other less expesnive offshore-made guitars out there.

I will be taking my 10 year old daughter out tomorrow guitar shopping. Not sure what we will come home with but it will probably be used. The local store has a Taylor Big Baby in. Cheap enough but I am not sure I a ready to go over to the dark side.

EJ200ce.

I gotta say I was SHOCKED at how well built, and good this $399.00 guitar is. Solid top, great action, monster plugged in tones, built in tuner.

They had a 1964 Inspired Texan that had a neck issue, but she liked this better anyway...

Last time I was in Sam Ash(December 12), I was equally shocked by the build quality of many non US, far east made guitars.

Some however were creeping into US price range. But for 399, you cant go wrong.

Archived