Gibson Brands Forums

Really going through an acoustic lull right now

kebob

I haven't felt like picking up one of my acoustics for a few weeks now and I'm starting to worry that maybe I've lost the drive. Been playin for 20+ years, and have been in lulls before where I haven't felt the creative juices flowing. But each time, it kicks back in for me at some point, usually after a week or two. This time, I'm not feeling it yet.

Typically to kickstart my urge to play again, I'll try to discover some new artists on you tube that I can get into, but that hasn't done it for either. Starting to get worried the urge will not come back? [scared]

OK...no worries...

I will purchase all your gear at a knock down price... <_<

To avoid unnecessary heartache etc...

Sorry Mrs V hi-jacked the PC while I was out of the room... :blink:

IMO what you need is an electric guitar...preferably with a hi gain pedal and nice tube amp...

To blow the cobwebs away and wig out...

Then return refreshed and re-invigorated... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I haven't felt like picking up one of my acoustics for a few weeks now and I'm starting to worry that maybe I've lost the drive. Been playin for 20+ years, and have been in lulls before where I haven't felt the creative juices flowing. But each time, it kicks back in for me at some point, usually after a week or two. This time, I'm not feeling it yet.

Typically to kickstart my urge to play again, I'll try to discover some new artists on you tube that I can get into, but that hasn't done it for either. Starting to get worried the urge will not come back? [scared]

I've had that too for ages now. Might be this place

OK...no worries...

I will purchase all your gear at a knock down price... <_<

To avoid unnecessary heartache etc...

Sorry Mrs V hi-jacked the PC while I was out of the room... :blink:

IMO what you need is an electric guitar...preferably with a hi gain pedal and nice tube amp...

To blow the cobwebs away and wig out...

Then return refreshed and re-invigorated... [thumbup]

V

I play electric -- in fact, when I do play now, it's with a tele/strat. I was strictly an acoustic player for years. Now that I've been in a band the past few years, it's turned around -- I rarely play acoustic. My biggest fear is having a room full of nice acoustics and not interested in playing them because my creative well has run dry. [crying]

Sheesh, Kebob......I know what you are talking about. If you play alone all the time, by yourself, this may contribute.....try playing out in public, or with others......usually gets me to sharpen up. If I know I'm going to an open mic....I really focus on the two songs I want to share. Also, playing with others can just be fun....PLAYing guitar.....should be fun. Also, learning a new song often gets me going. Thank heavens for youtube......there are so many lessons, learning a nice intro to a song I've wanted to learn, is a good icebreaker....good luck, man, I know what you are going through!!! If all else fails.....try buying a new guitar....lol.....this can also get you going!!!

Yes to owf...^^^^... [thumbup]

I was predominantly electric for many years...like 80/20...

Until open mics became a way of life...now it is 20/80...

And a big injection of new influences, fun, new friends...

And 2 bands joined and running concurrently as we speak... [thumbup]

V

Sheesh, Kebob......I know what you are talking about. If you play alone all the time, by yourself, this may contribute.....try playing out in public, or with others......usually gets me to sharpen up. If I know I'm going to an open mic....I really focus on the two songs I want to share. Also, playing with others can just be fun....PLAYing guitar.....should be fun. Also, learning a new song often gets me going. Thank heavens for youtube......there are so many lessons, learning a nice intro to a song I've wanted to learn, is a good icebreaker....good luck, man, I know what you are going through!!! If all else fails.....try buying a new guitar....lol.....this can also get you going!!!

Don't think I haven't thought about buying a new guitar, but I probably need to stay married awhile longer. All the things you mention ring true. My loss of acoustic mojo is longer than usual this time around, though, so I'm a little freaked out. Maybe it's just the summer dog days...

Ahhhh......the wife factor......the G.A.S. rev limiter.......Wellllllllll......if you can't buy a new one, maybe consider trading one of your other guitars, maybe one that you are not playing much...trade for something you've wanted for years??? Nice lateral trade.....who know, could be the catalyst that get's you going!!???

Don't think I haven't thought about buying a new guitar, but I probably need to stay married awhile longer. All the things you mention ring true. My loss of acoustic mojo is longer than usual this time around, though, so I'm a little freaked out. Maybe it's just the summer dog days...

Pick up a ukulele!

Sheesh, Kebob.

Ha Ha, Wily, I like it!!! ohmy.gif

Sorry, Kebob - what was your question? Wily has put me off...

So far, I have hardly missed a day playing guitar since I was about 8 years old - what a bug I caught! But I have all kinds of different types of guitar playing/learning/watching and sometimes, a fair bit of plain old wishing to keep me busy, and then we have forums to read about the guitars and guitars to buy/ogle etc.

I am afraid if a new DVD instructional from Stefan Grossman or Homespun in a new tuning or slide playing or.........doesn't help, Wily has the only answer, and a few from this very forum will cheer for you:

Buy a nice new acoustic, preferably a Gibson Acoustic, but you know - learning a bit of slide on your brand new National Tricone would get the juices a-movin', I bet!

As far as family/wife concerns, take the wife aside and have one of those awful, long talks the wife likes about how you are in the guitar slump, the SECOND BIG LOVE of your LIFE and you know, spill it!/Let it out/and 'You Don't Know What You Are Gonna Do and....." and, and, and all those cunning little tricks we guitarists have and PHEW!!!! Lookooooout! She will be down at the Music Villa buying you a Custom before you can say Oprah!

BluesKing777.

Archived