Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom, tell me its real

Chaffeekid

Hi everyone. Just got this, traded a Martin D28 and an old 4 wheeler for it, also got an Acoustasonic 150 and an Alvarez 6 string with it. It has a serial number of 02005613 and has a Gibson USA case. Has Made in USA in the headstock as you would expect. It all looks correct to me, but need your expert eyes.

DSC_0037_zps44fceb8c.jpg

Hope you can tell from this, here are a couple of more.

DSC_0032_zps8b0104e1.jpg

and another

DSC_0033_zpse7681470.jpg

Hope the images are viewable, thanks in advance.

Jim

Sorry, it's not genuine.

First of all, there's no Custom with split block inlays.

Compare the headstock of Yours with an authentic Gibson's:

HPIM3034.jpg

HPIM3033.jpg

Also, the serial number and the "Made in USA" script are never emphasized with paint, those are just stamped into wood.

Cheers... Bence

Take it back immediately and demand a refund.

If you are denied this then report the seller to the relevant authorities for passing off counterfeit goods.

It's not even close. What on Earth made you think it might be genuine?

P.

[cursing] WHEW [cursing] Based on what you guys said, took it back and took all his gear and told him that it was fake. He didn't know, old country boy. Got my Martin back and my 4 wheeler, so I'm happy again, and sad that I don't have a Real Les Paul. I still remember my J-45 from the 60's, wish I had it now.

It looked really good, never had a Les Paul, and didn't know, but knew where to have it checked out didn't I.

Having been in the Marines for 30 years, there was no question when I told him it was fake, other than stating that he didn't know. Now he's going to have to go back to the guy he got it from and go after him I guess.

Anyway, thanks guys, you saved me from loosing a whole bunch of money/value.

Jim Haney, Master Gunnery Sergeant, USMC ®

...took it back and took all his gear and told him that it was fake. He didn't know, old country boy. Got my Martin back and my 4 wheeler, so I'm happy again...

Like others have said I'm delighted you had a happy outcome.

Also as others have said there WILL be a Les Paul out there with your name on it.

Good luck hunting!

[thumbup]

P.

EDIT : Re-reading my original post I realise it might seem that I was being rude. I was actually just very surprised and if it came across differently then I apologise!

EDIT : Re-reading my original post I realise it might seem that I was being rude. I was actually just very surprised and if it came across differently then I apologise!

Not at all Pippy. It was just sound advice.

Very immediate advice but very sound and proper.

This was so obvious even I could tell. lol

All I needed to see was those was those inlays.

But I must say,, hanging around this site I have learned a sh!t load of stuff from all of you.

Stuff I never knew before.

Guest GarrettH

The serial number imprint as well as the bridge posts are the first two thing I tend to look for when identifying a fake Les Paul.

I'm not even close to being as versed as a lot of you, but even I thought it might be fake. What tipped me off was the serial number stamp, the lettering should not have been painted in like it was. Only reason I thought it wasn't right was because the serial number stamp on my LP doesn't look like that. I'm learnin so much from you guys! :)

Hello Jim,

glad that finally it turned out the right way. Hope you got over the initial shock meanwhile.

Cheers,

capmaster

I'm not even close to being as versed as a lot of you, but even I thought it might be fake. What tipped me off was the serial number stamp, the lettering should not have been painted in like it was. Only reason I thought it wasn't right was because the serial number stamp on my LP doesn't look like that. I'm learnin so much from you guys! :)

Hello Rosemarie,

there is so much to learn about it that one person hardly could know it all. There are many guitars out there that are hard to determine since companies changed imprints, decals, number codes and so on. I learn a bit more here everyday and hope I will remember it, or at least will find the topic again in case I need it. There are enthusiasts here with knowledge and experiences from the general down to subtle details.

I think it was a good feeling for you to be able to tell something that doubtlessly is wrong. As you wrote above about the look of the serial number, there often are dozens of details where to look at, and many of them are not so obvious such as groundplates of pickups or the make of the routings. Next to all of them I have never seen in reality but here at the Gibson Guitar Board. This made me aware of all these things.

Sincerely,

capmaster

• 2 weeks later...

[cursing] WHEW [cursing] Based on what you guys said, took it back and took all his gear and told him that it was fake. He didn't know, old country boy. Got my Martin back and my 4 wheeler, so I'm happy again, and sad that I don't have a Real Les Paul. I still remember my J-45 from the 60's, wish I had it now.

It looked really good, never had a Les Paul, and didn't know, but knew where to have it checked out didn't I.

Having been in the Marines for 30 years, there was no question when I told him it was fake, other than stating that he didn't know. Now he's going to have to go back to the guy he got it from and go after him I guess.

Anyway, thanks guys, you saved me from loosing a whole bunch of money/value.

Jim Haney, Master Gunnery Sergeant, USMC ®

Good deal,Thanks for your service Jim

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of stuff to trade for a les paul guitar that would sell for $2000 or so on our local Craigslist.

The 'Les Paul Guitar' is a pile of firewood worth less than the box of matches neccessary to send it to where it belongs.

Happily, by post #5, all had been resolved.

P.

• 6 years later...

This guitar with white painted serial is now at my place. In Gibson Usa case.))

I was looking for the Gibson serial that appeared in my hands by chance. 
Just for you to know the ending of the story.  Well, the probable one at least.  As there might be a couple guitars with same serial, if it is not authentic.

I started playing with a friend of mine. He told me he had  received it  as a gift for his wedding. Couple years back.  He carved out upper part of the deck to make it ligher and it can now be used as a handle. 

Sounds quite great and feels much better than guitar in local shops in Belarus.
I don't know the price it was sold for, But At first I was sure he couldn't have anything more than Jay Turser's replica. Then I realised it has Gibson logo on it and it can be bought for 5 000 bucks here, not 2000)