Gibson Brands Forums

58 strat - wicked clean, on the bay,, so whos got 48k?

kidblast

I know Bill,

IMHO,, that listing is going to die of loneliness.

It is in remarkable condition tho.. (that's really what prompted my posting the link)

But, lets get real,, I don't know anyone that would make that sort of purchase.

Kid...back in the mid 90s, the Japanese were spending huge amounts of money for vintage instruments. A friend sold a 58 LP for $53k...bought a semi and has been "truckin' " ever since. I've tried to peddle my Strat for about 4 years now. Its greeted with enthusiasm at every show I take it to. The minute I mention selling it, they start tearing it apart and trying to get it for nothing. Most of these "experts" don't know their butt from their elbow.

Getting back to the listing...I think perhaps he is shooting high and hoping to land somewhere around the 30-35k area. Even that in today's economy is a stretch IMHO.

Most of these "experts" don't know their butt from their elbow.

Buy Low, Sell High. That's all they need to know, same as any other fake investment that has come along.

rct

I have a sleazy lawyer friend...(well...not actually a friend any longer since we had a falling out over politics),

and he 'sold' his '57 Strat on EBay several years ago for $25K.

Of course, the PayPal transfer was bogus, so he lost his Strat.... he filed an insurance claim...which was denied...but

being a sleazy lawyer, he argured that the 'fraud' took place in his home, so it was, in fact' stolen, (because the computer

he used was in his home).

Anyway...he got reimbursed.

I can't fathom spending more than 1,200 for a strat of ANY make/year.... what ever...

- some people have more money than sense no harm in trying to find a sucker I guess..

it just wont be me.. [tongue]

but the condition is just insane (if it is authentic) and from what we can see, it sure appears to be..

I had a guy offer me $30,000 for my '64, in the early 90's. I just laughed,

and told him, "no way!" Then he said: "Well, how much DO you want, for it?"

I told him it wasn't for sale, at any price. (First, I didn't believe he'd

actually pay that much, for it...and, Second...it really WASN'T for sale, at

any price. Still isn't!) [biggrin]

Guitars, are made to be played, not bought and sold, by folks with too much money,

like some "commodity!" But, if the seller wants a boat load of money, for one...

and, he can find an actual buyer, that's rich (or dumb) enough, to pay that...

WTH?!

CB

I'm still kickin' myself for not taking the 18k I was offered for my '59 by Milano Music back in '94. Like so many of us...we love our axes and find it hard to part with. Now that I'm in the twilight of my years...almost everything has a price tag on it. I can't take 16 guitars and 5 amps to the grave. I've never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

I'm still kickin' myself for not taking the 18k I was offered for my '59 by Milano Music back in '94. Like so many of us...we love our axes and find it hard to part with. Now that I'm in the twilight of my years...everything has a price tag on it. I can't take 16 guitars and 5 amps to the grave. I've never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

Understood. In my case, that strat was a birthday present, from my Mom, when I was 14. I'm 63, now.

My Dad had died, 18 months, prior, and she was working 2 jobs, and going to night school, to get a

better job, and still managed to find the money, somehow, for that guitar, for me! Needless to say,

it's not for sale.

It IS, in my "will," along with all my other "worldly possessions," and what the family and/or friends,

(who are also players) that get it, after I'm gone, do with it...is up to them! [tongue][unsure]

CB

Hey Kid, I have a strat, and there's no way that I would have paid that kind of dough for it.

I'm with ya Edlo..

My current two fenders were USA Standards (Stat/Tele) I bought in the mid 90s.. almost 20 years,, Seesh, that went by fast..

they were both well under 1k, and that's about all one needs to pay or a good strat or tele imho..

I'm with ya Edlo..

My current two fenders were USA Standards (Stat/Tele) I bought in the mid 90s.. almost 20 years,, Seesh, that went by fast..

they were both well under 1k, and that's about all one needs to pay or a good strat or tele imho..

Same here under a g in 95. That's all I needed then.

I've seen Strat's that aren't anything near as pristine as that going for around the same price,so the price that they're asking isn't really out of whack. If I had that kind of cash lying around I wouldn't have to think twice about buying it.Since a Les Paul Standard from the same era could be anywhere from $100,000 and up,the Strat is quite a bargain when you look at it.

After subscribing to Vintage Guitar Magazine for several years and closely following vintage Strat sales etc.,this is the cleanest and most unblemished Strat that I've ever seen and the fact that all the case candy etc. is still in mint condition further adds to the uniqueness and value of it.I just hope and pray that it doesn't end up in a vault of some non-playing Chinese collector for no other reason but to grow in value so that in a few years he can unload it on yet another non-playing collector so that it can end up being shut away in silence until it goes through the same process in a few more years.A sweet instrument like that doesn't necessarily need to be played every day but should be at least taken out every now and then and savoured like a fine rare bottle of Cognac or vintage Napoleon Brandy.

It IS, in my "will," along with all my other "worldly possessions," and what the family and/or friends,

(who are also players) that get it, after I'm gone, do with it...is up to them! [tongue][unsure]

CB

CB... everyone knows all my gear is set to go to my grandkids.

I've already left detailed instructions to my son..... now all he has to do is get busy making some grandkids for me, ('course I prefer he get married first).

I truly have left him instructions for each guitar, and some of the other stuff....don't much care about the amps, or the keyboards, (other than my old antique piano - from 1874).

Yeah, Rob...the problem becomes, will they actually listen/do what you want,

after you're no longer around to make sure they do. LOL "Things," no matter

how precious, they are to us, have a tendency to lose that appeal, in subsequent

generations. Some, will (just because it was your's) cherish it/them, other's...

will RUN, to the nearest music store, or auction house, to find out how much they

can get, "cash-out," right away! [tongue][unsure]

Cynical? No, not really...just an ardent, and realistic, observer, of human beings. [rolleyes]

CB

All of my stuff is to be sold via some professional type instrument type broker types, who will surely get their cut. The remainder, along with all of our worldly cash out, will keep wolves and bears safe and provide nice places for our grand kids and yours to enjoy Yellowstone. That's how we roll. The animals and trees and mountains need our stuff far more than any mangy family member.

rct

Yeah, Rob...the problem becomes, will they actually listen/do what you want,

after you're no longer around to make sure they do. LOL "Things," no matter

how precious, they are to us, have a tendency to lose that appeal, in subsequent

generations. Some, will (just because it was your's) cherish it/them, other's...

will RUN, to the nearest music store, or auction house, to find out how much they

can get, "cash-out," right away! [tongue][unsure]

Cynical? No, not really...just an ardent, and realistic, observer, of human beings. [rolleyes]

CB

Yes, CB.... I'm aware of that possibility..... but on the chance that one of them might take up the guitar/piano/violin/banjo/mandolin, it'll be worth the shot.

Archived