Gibson Brands Forums

SORRY! Sticky neck - again...

Kolera

I can see that there's kinda of a lot af viewers on this thread' date=' but no one reallly replies.[/quote']

Well, I have the same issue with my new ES335. The 2005 Custom gets a little sticky but that's only the normal funk sweat. The ES335 sticky is a whole other issue so that's why I'm watching this thread. I can't reply with an answer because I don't know what to do either.

i like to sand the necks of my guitars down. it makes them smoother then any polish can, and they just feel great. if this appeals to you just go to your local hard ware store and get a couple sheets of 300 grit sandpaper and a couple of 600 grit sheets. then get some water (or spit :) ) on the neck and sand away the finish with the 300 grit and then do another light sanding with the 600 grit to finish it up. make sure to keep it wet though.

good luck

The only thing that worked in the end for me was time. I would just wipe it down with a cloth when it got gummy as I was playing. It would get gummy again and I'd wipe it down again. I think after about a month I stopped noticing it.

I've got this same damn problem on my LP and SG(not as bad on the SG).

The LP is an 05 and the SG is an 07. I bought both used and don't really have any idea how much the previous owners played them.

How many years does this take to go away? I'd think 2-3 would be enough...but who knows?

This sticky neck deal is the ONLY thing I don't like about my Gibsons.

I'll try the naptha and leave them out on a stand for a while...but I"ve got 4 kids running around so I guess I'll have to tie them up. (CPS tends to frown on that though:-$ )

I know' date=' this topic's been in the forum a million times before, and I've searched and searched but I've found that it all adds up to two different opinions; wipe down WITH polish or wipe down WITHOUT polish.

I've been wiping the neck down without any polish for the last two weeks (only had my LP for about 3 weeks now) and I've maybe put in 20-30 hours of total playing on the LP in that time. Still the neck is getting f*#@ing sticky everytime I play the thing. Before that I wiped the neck down WITH polish, and it didn't help anything either.

Is it a matter of time? Is it a matter of polish vs. non-polish wipedowns?

Basically, tell me what works. Polish or no-polish wipedowns? And for how long? Once and for all, just what to do and what not to do to get rid of the m%#@erf#&king sticky-icky goo-necks!

This might be a long one. Getting out the popcorns... :-& [/quote']

To me the sticky neck is a huge part of Gibson guitars. It does eventually go away, but enjoy it. i know that sounds stupid but thats all part of breakin that joker in.

....so I asked Gibson service about this. The response was:

"This will normally go away within a few months of playing. If you would like to apply something to your instrument, I would suggest that you apply naphtha (lighter fluid) to a clean cotton cloth and rub this on the neck of the guitar. Sometimes this will produce a cloudy or hazy appearance but, if you will follow up by polishing it with Gibson guitar polish, it will shine it properly. This is the method used by our repair facility and it is imperative that naphtha is the only liquid used as any other type of solvent can damage or destroy your finish. Thanks for the inquiry!"

Axe had it right.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 93 Les Paul on ebay and it was immaculate except for the sticky neck. They seller said it was put in a case under his bed for most of it's life (maybe all?), but I still wonder if it's going to go away on it's own. I bought a new SG-X years ago, and I had it in the "fresh air" for a year or so and it was still sticky after a year. I am going to try the lighter fluid and maybe the sandpaper if the lighter fluid doesn't work.

i've got this problem on my sg, i havent had it quite a month yet. i thought it was something in the case though. it wont get the sticky feeling until i take it to practice or a show. as long as it sits in my hands or my 5 guitar stand, its fine. but maybe is is something with the actual guitar.

My LP's neck was very sticky. I started leaving it with the back side up on the couch for a few hours everyday, and it's been taking more and more playing time to get sticky. That seems to be working for me. Regardless of how safe lighter fluid is, I just don't feel comfortable rubbing chemicals on my guitar.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been doing the naptha/Zippo-fluid thing on the neck 4 or 5 times now whenever it got so sticky that it really would bother me. In between I just did a hard wipedown with a cottoncloth and nothing else.

I have to say that AXE knows his stuff. The above procedure works. I can really feel a difference. The neck stays way smoother now than it did before I started the occasional naptha-wipedown.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe some uncured laquer will cure in time, if the guitar just came from the factory, but what about all of us who have old guitars that never cured? I have a 93 LP Studio that the laquer never cured, and surely won't just suddenly cure afer 15 years! I also have a 07 SG that gets sticky, and I would think over a year in the air is long enough to cure it. We need Gibson to address this!

• 1 month later...
Yep' date=' clean the neck and strings with naptha. But not too often or you will dry out the wood.

Also, wash your hands and let them dry really well before you play. Some guitar players dry their hands with talcum powder before they go onstage.[/quote']

yeah, sometimes, especially in the hot humid summers of the Northeast USA and EVERYTHING sticks, I carry a small bottle of baby powder to use during shows. Makes a huge difference and don't cost much.

Archived