Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater-exclusive Marshall Custom JCM800/1960AV Demo

CoreyT

For a 2203 he wasn't getting near the oomph that he should've been getting from it,the amp sounded very tinny with no bottom.I have a JCM 800 2204 model (which is the 50W version) with a 1960 B cabinet loaded with Celestion G-12-L-25 speakers and it has incredible bass and mid response even with the L-25s which are a lighter duty speaker than the Vintage style Celestions in his amp.It has to be the way that he has the amp set up that it doesn't show any bass or midrange response because a friend of mine has the 100W JCM 800 2203 model with the G-12-M-75 Celestions and the amp that he's demoing should have the same sound if the schematics used are faithful to the original 2203.I wonder how much the Sweetwater Edition is going for because my friend bought his 2204 with the 1960 A cabinet for just $1,200 around 1996 and you can still pick them up for under $2000 for the half stack.

I didn't notice his control settings but you'd think that anyone doing a demo to promote one of their limited edition products would have it set up to get a decent sound from it.The way he had it running, my little MS-4 Marshall sounded better.Phil X would've given that amp a proper demo.When I set the Master on my 2204 on 1 or 2 and crank the Preamp she can put a pretty gutsy sound at bedroom levels as long as the Bass and Mid controls and Presence are on 10 and the Treble is at about 7.

I didn't notice his control settings.

Hi bonzo,

He did mention it at one point during the interview.

Something to the effect..

"I'm in my office here at Sweetwater so master volume is set to 1, any more than that, and the walls will start shaking"

You prolly just missed that little part of the dialogue..

-best,

/ray

Archived