Gibson Brands Forums

1936 D45s Authentic

JuanCarlosVejar

I'd like to check one out, just to see, but Elderly doesn't have any of the Authentic instruments in stock. I like those tuner buttons. Wonder if I could snag a set for my D-45 VR.

BTW - the list is $59,999 (Brazilian Rosewood, price from the website); and the D-28 Authentic 1941 list is $7,999 (Madagascar Rosewood, price from the website)

$60K - Holy Crap. Are the tuning buttons made with metal that came to earth on a meteor?

I do not put a lot of stock in sound bytes. Maybe because of the unwritten law that very guitar I own for some reason always sounds better when played by somebody else.

the consumer price is $37,000 ... I asked Fuller's about this because I was hyped when they introduced it at the NAMM show .

but Jeremy Fuller told me "if you are going to spend that much money ... you might as well get something unique" .

I was actually thinking about going all in and getting it ... but his words got to me and I realized I wasn't even a fan of rosewood so why the hell would I want a $37,000 Martin Brazilian Dread ... I then found out what actually caught my eye was the "wide" body . I love the looks of the guitar and maybe next year I'll ask the Martin custom shop if they can built me a version with koa b/s .

beautiful sound though !

JC

the consumer price is $37,000 ... I asked Fuller's about this because I was hyped when they introduced it at the NAMM show .

but Jeremy Fuller told me "if you are going to spend that much money ... you might as well get something unique" .

I was actually thinking about going all in and getting it ... but his words got to me and I realized I wasn't even a fan of rosewood so why the hell would I want a $37,000 Martin Brazilian Dread ... I then found out what actually caught my eye was the "wide" body . I love the looks of the guitar and maybe next year I'll ask the Martin custom shop if they can built me a version with koa b/s .

beautiful sound though !

JC

Really ? You considered this ?

DO it man, I think you should do it... nice bit of bling, nice enough 'investment' too. ≈ The enabler.

Well, my vote is Against!

But you could get 1 Standard Martin D-45 from Elderly's for $7,999:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/D45.htm

and with the change, you could buy all of us in the forum a nice HD35 each from there:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/HD35.htm

BluesKing777.

Really ? You considered this ?

BBG ,

I did but only for about a month ... the cash was going to come out of selling guitars + saving up while the guitar was being constructed (I estimated it was going to be a year) .... but the idea quickly fell apart because I didn't really like rosewood all that much ... and because there was going to be more than a few floating around ... I wasn't going to be a one off .

plus it was just plain crazy ... while the guitar sounds great it doesn't sound like $37,000 .

I thought this could be my one and only guitar for a lifetime but nah the super jumbo body is just better looking .

rosewood doesn't look great everytime ... but sunburst maple does !

I guess it was a way of trying to buy into the myth of brazilian rosewood for me ... and the notion that there isn't many lefties out there .

JC

JC if you built one from KOA that would kind of defeat the purpose of the guitar wouldn't it? Not being the devils advocate but if you ever "had" to sell you might be up **** creek.

Just saying.

Personally I too am not a fan of rosewood either. The best tonewood I've ever played with was black walnut! It was on a J60 I had and still am trying to get back. Possibly the best guitar I've owned. Anyway just saying

Having held two of the original pre-war D-45's in my trembling hands in the last two years, I can vouch for the magic contained in those particular guitars. But the owner had turned down $500,000 for one of them, and the other wasn't for sale.

As staggeringly beautiful as these repros may be, the only one I consider to be rationally-priced and worth considering is the 1941 D-28 authentic. Yeah, I know it's Madagascar rather than Brazilian, but I can deal with that compromise.

That D-45 repro is strictly a collector's guitar, or for a guy Like Stephen Stills, who once owned one of the "real" ones.

I just don't think there's a guitar out there worth 37k far less 60k..... OK maybe a few particular ones of interest given to who they belonged to etc... at a push, but for a regular production guitar, even one with the extra bits n bobs and labour intensive appointments... nope. Too crazy for me.... I'd rather have 3-4 regular production models and almost 50k or 30k in this case in my pocket/bank.

I just don't think there's a guitar out there worth 37k far less 60k.....

Gotta agree. Then again rich kids gotta have their toys like the rest of us. But when it comes down to it a Harmony Sovereign can provide just as much fun as a guitar that cost more than my car.

Gotta agree. Then again rich kids gotta have their toys like the rest of us. But when it comes down to it a Harmony Sovereign can provide just as much fun as a guitar that cost more than my car.

A harmony sovereign would cost more than my car over here in UK.. Its not a great car mind you. I'd quite like one of those harmonys .

No qualms with Rich boys, or them having rich toys either.... even still, I just don't think there's a guitar out there worth 37k far less 60k.... Couldn't see that changing with 7-8 figures in the bank to be honest. I might have more models overall though... one for the holiday home an all that.... but couldn't see me ever handing over that kind of splash for a single guitar.

The thing I dont get is why would you want to pay so much money for an inferior replica ?

The whole idea of buying 40's era acoustics or most vintage guitars is the tone they deliver from 70 odd years of playing and maturing, which just no way in the world will be replicated with a new guitar no matter how hard you try.

The thing I dont get is why would you want to pay so much money for an inferior replica ?

The whole idea of buying 40's era acoustics or most vintage guitars is the tone they deliver from 70 odd years of playing and maturing, which just no way in the world will be replicated with a new guitar no matter how hard you try.

EA,

because there are no lefties

JC

Why inferior? Because it's not old? Same company, probably tighter specs control now too.... not sure 'inferior' is the right word there, man.

Do you mean drying out minus any humidity freak-outs and OCD care regimes, the like of which can be marvelled at on guitar forums across the globe? msp_rolleyes.gif

Ya know what I mean PM, I aint getting into one of those debates ... [biggrin]

Why inferior? Because it's not old? Same company, probably tighter specs control now too.... not sure 'inferior' is the right word there, man.

Do you mean drying out minus any humidity freak-outs and OCD care regimes, the like of which can be marvelled at on guitar forums across the globe? msp_rolleyes.gif

I would agree inferior is not the word I would have picked. But while the name is the same, Gibson is a vastly different company than it once was. Organization, production techniques, materials, and such have gone through quite a few changes. Then again, what company that has been around as long as Gibson has not gone through substantial reorganization and change.

Archived