Gibson Brands Forums

Now UPS wants to negotiate

ol fred

The other link is no help. It doesn't say that Fedex sells insurance either. [confused]

What pray tell are you calling the fee charged to cover (insure) excess valuation over $100? .Maybe you didn't read the article - the word "insurance" is in the title. In fact, in the first paragraph, the reporter says the fee charged to cover declared value in excess $100 is known as Declared Value INSURANCE.

Article title: . The cost of Carrier Provided Insurance has gone up again

First paragraph: If you use shipment value protection on your small package shipments (also known as Declared Value Insurance), be aware that FedEx and UPS raised the rate in January, 2012 to $0.80 per $100 of declared value. The 2011 rate was $0.70 per $100 of declared value.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point Bob. Even if you pack it very well, pay the insurance fee, and still wind up in a battle over coverage. I've seen well packaged, cased LPs with the butt-end strap button smashed all the way into the body with no hint of damage to the box or case. Then you're left negotiating with the shipper over whether or not the guitar was damaged in transit.

Apparently when you make lots of noise and won't go away negotiation is the next step in the UPS handbook. Estimate of repair or declaration of value by a known and respected member of the music industry, and of course vintage Gibson collectors do not qualify.

So I have decided to negotiate on my terms, quite simple really. Pay the money you owe me and I won't sue you and I will cease my negative advertising campaign against your company.

Even if you are not a member and don't (do) facebook please visit my new facebook page and give it a like, share with friends and ask them to do the same. Lots of scary vids of UPS delivery men, literally hundreds of cases, many just like my own (UPS specialty seems to be accusing one of fraud by shipping broken guitars) and oh yeah...there"s even a bit of music on the page called United Broke My Guitar.

Please help with a couple of mouse clicks or comment if ya wish to help put these bastids in their place

Fred

Just gave it a LIKE. I'll also TWEET your link. Maybe some of the folks that see my tweet will do the same.

Here is my Tweet:

Sal Arnuk @ThemisSal

Won't you give this chap's UPS Shipping Victims Facebook Page a Like and help him fight Goliath? facebook.com/upsvictims?ref…

What pray tell are you calling the fee charged to cover (insure) excess valuation over $100? .Maybe you didn't read the article - the word "insurance" is in the title. In fact, in the first paragraph, the reported says the fee charged to cover declared value in excess $100 is known as Declared Value INSURANCE.

Article title: . The cost of Carrier Provided Insurance has gone up again

First paragraph: If you use shipment value protection on your small package shipments (also known as Declared Value Insurance), be aware that FedEx and UPS raised the rate in January, 2012 to $0.80 per $100 of declared value. The 2011 rate was $0.70 per $100 of declared value.

This is first sentence taken from the "official" UPS website. I didn't make this up.

"Declared value is not insurance coverage."

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Fact+Sheets/UPS+Declared+Value+Q%26A

If you want to continue this, please post info from the UPS website. (or Fedex website)

Easy cowboys! Let me see if I can break the war up a bit. A couple of yrs ago I received a packaged from UPS during a wet winter. The UPS trucker backed into my front yard to turn around and got stuck. Left about 10 yards of 14 inch wide by 10 inch deep ruts. Completely wiped out my beautiful centipede grass. Contacted UPS and went thru hell trying to recover to no avail. They in effect laughed in my face but were very apologetic about what happened and said they would make sure it never happened. They still turn around in the yard if they think i'm not there.

Easy cowboys! Let me see if I can break the war up a bit. A couple of yrs ago I received a packaged from UPS during a wet winter. The UPS trucker backed into my front yard to turn around and got stuck. Left about 10 yards of 14 inch wide by 10 inch deep ruts. Completely wiped out my beautiful centipede grass. Contacted UPS and went thru hell trying to recover to no avail. They in effect laughed in my face but were very apologetic about what happened and said they would make sure it never happened. They still turn around in the yard if they think i'm not there.

Try this:

http://www.specialadditionslandscaping.com/images/rockwork/driveway-boulder-retaining-wall-with-steps.jpg

I think he is right that there is a significant difference between "declared value coverage" and what we normally think of as insurance. Declared value coverage sets a max on the carrier's liability - that's the most they would conceivably pay out. But if they actually break the item, the person shipping the item is required to prove that the item was damaged because of carrier negligence. The usual customer might think I got declared value of $3000, the thing is broken in a big way, now they pay out the $3000, right? What he actually bought was the right to contest the issue with the company and possibly get an award up to $3000. Traditional insurance is different. They would verify that nothing fishy occurred and pay out.

come on fellas...this is freds thread..and most of us are with him

unfortunately..shipping anything valuable..and esp' fragile things like guitars..is a bit of a gamble

insurance...yes... but ya take ya chances...

Fred you may have a long battle on ya hands..but im sure you will be reimbursed..if you play it right

UPS are a feckin big company..and as i said they will deal with 1000's of claims evry week... Id take a soft and proffesional approach..and be patient.. we feel ya pain my friend

but keep cool... it will come good Lord willing :)

I used to work for a ups store a few years ago and yes, we sold insurance. As BIGKAHUNE mentions, the first $100 was covered anything additional the shipper has the option to add or not. It was almost $1 per $100 you would add to the insurance. If anything was over $1,000 we were not allowed to give them the option, we just put the insurance on it, as we would ask them what the value of the item was. This was to cover us for when and if it happened they would not come back to us and complain after their package got damaged. Most reasonable people understood this but of course there were some assholes who would scream and yell they didn't want the insurance so we would document that they refused additional insurance. If they add the insurance and something happens to the package ups will cover it, they will do an investigation obviously but in most cases that I saw they always paid the shipper. So yes ups sells insurance!! I did it for almost 4 1/2 years.

Getting the verification that you're wrong will be very, very easy in this instance, pepper. Go to UPS' site. In the upper right hand corner there is a search window. Type in "insurance" and hit return. You'll find links to high-value package insurance, time-sensitive package insurance, temperature-sensitive package insurance, cargo insurance, flexible parcels insurance...that's just on the first page. To be honest, I don't know which variety of insurance I've bought - probably "high-value package insurance" -- but I have bought insurance on packages I shipped through UPS, as recently as June.

P

Even though I was asked by the person behind the counter If I wanted to insure the guitar when I shipped it I feel that a number of folks still fail to recognize my determination to take on the shipper.

The UPS corporate "investigator" determined that the guitar packaging was more than adequate, and the package was not visibly damaged.

Their conclusion was that I was obviously attempting to commit fraud. I may have somewhat of a backround in law enforcement but I am not an attorney. Their statement...to my ears sounds a bit like defamation of character. That upsets me more than the guitar being broken by them.

At this point it's in the hands of my attorney, I'm out of the loop. If they were willing to negotiate a settlement when I threatened to take them to court (why would they negotiate with an obvious criminal?) What will their response be now that he has contacted them?

Let's give it a rest and get back to something more enjoyable. I will let you know when I get what I'm owed. (not if, when)

Fred

Archived