Gibson Brands Forums

I always wanted an ES-335

crust

GEDC0101_zps80cd26b1.jpg

GEDC0100_zps690aa7f2.jpg

GEDC0102_zpsc59f3360.jpg

GEDC0099_zps090b5bac.jpg

the Vox mini3 G3 amp sounds great with this guitar (it also arrived, a few hours before the guitar and case)

They do sound incredible together. The little amp is surprisingly loud, clear and the amp models and effects make this guitar (the 335), and the Tele sing at reasonable volumes for home playing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEDC0101_zps80cd26b1.jpg

GEDC0100_zps690aa7f2.jpg

GEDC0102_zpsc59f3360.jpg

GEDC0099_zps090b5bac.jpg

the Vox mini3 G3 amp sounds great with this guitar (it also arrived, a few hours before the guitar and case)

They do sound incredible together. The little amp is surprisingly loud, clear and the amp models and effects make this guitar (the 335), and the Tele sing at reasonable volumes for home playing.

Sweet!!!!!msp_thumbup.gif

GEDC0101_zps80cd26b1.jpg

GEDC0100_zps690aa7f2.jpg

GEDC0102_zpsc59f3360.jpg

GEDC0099_zps090b5bac.jpg

HNGD! [thumbup] Good lookin geetar [smile]

HNGD! [thumbup] Good lookin geetar [smile]

Thanks all. I've been playing it quite a bit over the course of the day (Saturday). Again, I can't say enough good things about the several Epiphone guitars I've recently had the pleasure to own (Riviera P93, Sorrento (the best playing guitar I've ever owned), Dot Studio, ES-355, ES-335, SG-400). I have sold off all of my "other" Les Pauls (2 Les Paul juniors and a "special 1" as well as a DeArmond M-55) to finance the 2 Gibson LP's (a "chocolate" LPJ and a Pelham Blue Les Paul Special Humbucker, both unreal guitars). So, no longer having an Epiphone Les Paul, I felt "incomplete". Well, I hope the "incomplete" feeling will be diminished soon as I also ordered a Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro with the heritage cherry sunburst finish.

I was thinking of the "iced tea" finish, but after looking over all of the finishes on this particular model are avalable in, the beautiful finish of the "HS" won out.

Also got a mini Epiphone tweed amp to go with it. [biggrin]

So, I truly believe my guitar gas is somewhat abated for now. Time to start playing more, learning some more songs and helping my students become better guitar players. [thumbup]

About Alnico Classic Pro vs ProBucker pickups.

I have an Ultra-339 and LP Std +PRO both w/ProBuckers. I have played the 339 mostly through

a Bugera V22 and have done so quite a bit.

I love the ProBuckers. I also have a Gibson '57 RI LP Custom ('99), which IIRC were advertised as having "'57 PAF" pickups.

And I recently added an '07 Gibson Studio VM with BurstBucker Pros. I'm getting to the point ... there is one, I promise. :)

All of these guitars sound different, but vaguely similar. Some of the differences are due to wood and body style in the case of the

339, of course.

1. The '57 LPC has the classic PAF tone nailed, not a bit too hot, or too chimey, or too anything. Crisp, clear, balanced with no hint of

overtone - capable of playing anything depending on amp and settings.

2. When compared to (1.), the Epi ProBuckers are a little hotter and have just a touch of a bass overtone that you would hardly notice

unless doing a side x side. They are not as clear or crisp, but I'm talking small differences here - not enough to make *me* want to

change out the pickups. These are very close and very good sounding.

3. The BurstBucker Pros are a tad bit hotter than (1.), but in the Studio VM the result is a really organic tone. Open, woody, zero overtone

to hold them back. Very close to (1.), a bit nicer than (2.).

4. The ProBuckers in the 339 are identical to the ProBuckers in the LP with exactly the difference you expect from a semi-hollow body.

Last Wednesday I finally made it to civilization for a while and happened to see an Epi 339 with Alnico Classic Pro pups. I plugged it into

a Bugera V5 ... the closest thing there was to my V22 ...

IMO, the Alnico Classic Pros in the 399 sound like what I would expect the '57 PAFs from my '57 RI to sound like

installed in a semi-hollow. I would describe the difference this way:

- The ProBuckers are very, very close to BurstBuckers. Very close. A little hotter than PAFs, with a *slight* loss of clarity as the

trade-off.

- The Alnico Classic Pros are as close to the '57 PAFs in (1.) as you could possibly get without yanking them out of the LP and

installing them in the 339.

Bottom Line (for me): I will NOT buy anything with Alnico Classic Pros because I already have more PAF tone

around me than I need.

WARNING: If you already have Gibby PAF tone in your arsenal, Alnico Classic Pros would be a redundant

purchase for you :)

DISCLAIMER: This was NOT done side x side, and is very subjective. The Alnico Classic Pros were played in a noisy,

Guitar Zoo environment, but it wasn't as crowded or noisy as it could have been.

"DISCLAIMER: This was NOT done side x side, and is very subjective. The Alnico Classic Pros were played in a noisy,

Guitar Zoo environment, but it wasn't as crowded or noisy as it could have been."

Disclaimers should be put IN FRONT of the post, so we don't have to bother reading the rest of the post... <_<

Now I want a 339 (I ordered a 335). :) :o ](*,)[mellow][thumbup][biggrin]

I'll have to see how I get along with the larger body size of the 335. I absolutely love my 355, which, I believe, is the same size(as a 335). It is difficult to say which guitar is better, I don't think I can.

If the 335 is too big, I might try a 339, being somewhat smaller. I never played one, but I would think, if it is the size of an LP, I'd get along with it just fine.

The Sorrento and ES-355 are the best guitars I've ever had.

Having played a Fender Stratocaster for several years, then getting my first Epiphone, the Wildkat, once I got my Sheraton II I also was thinking how big she looked. But I immediately felt comfortable with her and I don't feel as though she weighs much more, if any, to my Stratocaster. Heck, I think the Wildkat feels a tad heavier.

But as for the larger size of the Sheraton II (same size as a 335/Dot), after playing her steady for a few days, it was my other guitars that felt as though they were small, rather than the Sheraton feeling too big.

But as for the larger size of the Sheraton II (same size as a 335/Dot), after playing her steady for a few days, it was my other guitars that felt as though they were small, rather than the Sheraton feeling too big.

+1. It looks big and boxy at first, but after you play a 335 a little, it feels so comfortable, and not at all bulky. No wonder why so many players use them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

About Alnico Classic Pro vs ProBucker pickups.

I have an Ultra-339 and LP Std +PRO both w/ProBuckers. I have played the 339 mostly through

a Bugera V22 and have done so quite a bit.

I love the ProBuckers. I also have a Gibson '57 RI LP Custom ('99), which IIRC were advertised as having "'57 PAF" pickups.

And I recently added an '07 Gibson Studio VM with BurstBucker Pros. I'm getting to the point ... there is one, I promise. :)

All of these guitars sound different, but vaguely similar. Some of the differences are due to wood and body style in the case of the

339, of course.

1. The '57 LPC has the classic PAF tone nailed, not a bit too hot, or too chimey, or too anything. Crisp, clear, balanced with no hint of

overtone - capable of playing anything depending on amp and settings.

2. When compared to (1.), the Epi ProBuckers are a little hotter and have just a touch of a bass overtone that you would hardly notice

unless doing a side x side. They are not as clear or crisp, but I'm talking small differences here - not enough to make *me* want to

change out the pickups. These are very close and very good sounding.

3. The BurstBucker Pros are a tad bit hotter than (1.), but in the Studio VM the result is a really organic tone. Open, woody, zero overtone

to hold them back. Very close to (1.), a bit nicer than (2.).

4. The ProBuckers in the 339 are identical to the ProBuckers in the LP with exactly the difference you expect from a semi-hollow body.

Last Wednesday I finally made it to civilization for a while and happened to see an Epi 339 with Alnico Classic Pro pups. I plugged it into

a Bugera V5 ... the closest thing there was to my V22 ...

IMO, the Alnico Classic Pros in the 399 sound like what I would expect the '57 PAFs from my '57 RI to sound like

installed in a semi-hollow. I would describe the difference this way:

- The ProBuckers are very, very close to BurstBuckers. Very close. A little hotter than PAFs, with a *slight* loss of clarity as the

trade-off.

- The Alnico Classic Pros are as close to the '57 PAFs in (1.) as you could possibly get without yanking them out of the LP and

installing them in the 339.

Bottom Line (for me): I will NOT buy anything with Alnico Classic Pros because I already have more PAF tone

around me than I need.

WARNING: If you already have Gibby PAF tone in your arsenal, Alnico Classic Pros would be a redundant

purchase for you :)

DISCLAIMER: This was NOT done side x side, and is very subjective. The Alnico Classic Pros were played in a noisy,

Guitar Zoo environment, but it wasn't as crowded or noisy as it could have been.

Thanks for sharing; helps to clarify the Alnico Classic Pro tone. I concur with you as well on this.

I looked really closely at the Gibson ES-335, and then the Epiphone. You know I dig Epiphones. So, a vintage sunburst Epiphone ES-335 Pro is on order. 5-7 days, cant wait. I also ordered the appropriate Epiphone case. Nice package. Pic's to follow.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H79035.002_vintage_sunburst.jpg

I got mine about a week ago. Cherry. I can not put the thing down!

I got mine about a week ago. Cherry. I can not put the thing down!

I had broken the high E string on this guitar and hadn't played it for a few weeks (other guitars filled in OK)msp_smile.gif. I replaced the broken string yesterday after my trip to the local music store and played the guitar for a few hours last night before retiring. Such a fine instrument. I adjusted the pick up heights, but left the pole piece heights as is. I don't want to take the plastic Epiphone stickers off of the pick ups, same with the plastic "surrounds" that are on the push/pull pots. I left them on. This is quite a beautiful guitar (imho). I bet the cherry one is just that...cherrymsp_biggrin.gif

Got any pictures ?msp_smile.gif

I had broken the high E string on this guitar and hadn't played it for a few weeks (other guitars filled in OK)msp_smile.gif. I replaced the broken string yesterday after my trip to the local music store and played the guitar for a few hours last night before retiring. Such a fine instrument. I adjusted the pick up heights, but left the pole piece heights as is. I don't want to take the plastic Epiphone stickers off of the pick ups, same with the plastic "surrounds" that are on the push/pull pots. I left them on. This is quite a beautiful guitar (imho). I bet the cherry one is just that...cherrymsp_biggrin.gif

Got any pictures ?msp_smile.gif

Here it is as it came in.

ad7fbaed-6b87-4928-912f-2803af1a2e0e.jpg

Hello, I'm new to this forum, thought I'd chime in :). I have an Epi es 335 pro in cherry and I love it! I have actually purchased two gibson 335's and returned them because I didn't feel a real 2500.00 difference. I'm not a gibson detractor by any stretch as I own two les Paul's and two J 45's. I just think Epiphone really hit the mark on these.... I did change the wiring with a pre wired vintage kit and dropped lollar SCFH pickups in and I can't say enough about this guitar.

post-63486-032460000 1392651486_thumb.jpg

Hello, I'm new to this forum, thought I'd chime in :). I have an Epi es 335 pro in cherry and I love it! I have actually purchased two gibson 335's and returned them because I didn't feel a real 2500.00 difference. I'm not a gibson detractor by any stretch as I own two les Paul's and two J 45's. I just think Epiphone really hit the mark on these.... I did change the wiring with a pre wired vintage kit and dropped lollar SCFH pickups in and I can't say enough about this guitar.

msp_thumbup.gif

Again, Epiphone thank you for producing a fine affordable ES-335 msp_thumbup.gif good stuffmsp_smile.gif

I could not agree more! I have been more than satisfied with all my Epiphone guitars, electric and acoustic. They make good instruments for a reasonable price. I refuse to think of them as "almost Gibson". They are Epiphones and they are good instruments!

Actually that's not a guitar.

Asians for ages have had a lotta stringed instruments with variations of hollow body and neck - and sometimes hollow body without much of a neck at all for a "play it on the floor" type of thing. (Guquin, for example, and its variants.) I think most are considered closer to a zither than a guitar.

But there's no question that traditionally they have done quite well making such instruments.

Then again... the guitar as we know it ain't more than a cupla hundred years old, at least in its steel string incarnations.

Hmmmm. I s'pose that in both east and west, we luted the guitar from our own histories.

m

Archived