Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! Riviera Custom P93

tommyb

This is my first semi-hollow body, first with a Bigsby, first with three PUPS, and first with P90's since I got rid of my Gibson '56 Goldy decades ago which had P90 soap bars.

I wanted the P90 sound again and this one delivers. My Epi LP '60 Tribute has Gibson '57 Classic H-buckers as does my Gibson SG Standard.

I have a whole new set of tones to have fun with especially with THREE P90's. I love the variations I'm getting along with the Strat-like thwack and crunch.

The workmanship, fit and finish on my copy is excellent and it played well out of the box but I've lowered the action very slightly.

Tuning as expected is a bit fussy because of the Bigsby but not too bad overall.

9807406004_383378c369_c.jpg

Nice. I got one of those several years ago when they first came out. I put a roller bridge on mine (from StewMac) so the strings wouldn't hang up in the saddles.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I saw a guy do it on YouTube and it's just a simple swap-out if you don't want to change the mounting posts.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I saw a guy do it on YouTube and it's just a simple swap-out if you don't want to change the mounting posts.

Right. The bridge is screwed into the wood with small screws, and doesn't have the large anchors in the body like most other Epi's to hold the bridge firmly in place. That means the bridge leans forwards and backwards when you use the Bigsby. That's the one weak part in this design. My roller bridge was a drop-in fit from StewMac, and took care of the moving bridge issue. The strings slide smoothly over the saddles. Just measure the center of the screw post holes, or ask for an Epi size roller bridge.

Right. The bridge is screwed into the wood with small screws, and doesn't have the large anchors in the body like most other Epi's to hold the bridge firmly in place. That means the bridge leans forwards and backwards when you use the Bigsby. That's the one weak part in this design. My roller bridge was a drop-in fit from StewMac, and took care of the moving bridge issue. The strings slide smoothly over the saddles. Just measure the center of the screw post holes, or ask for an Epi size roller bridge.

Yep! I noticed that bridge leaning right away. The centers are 2 29/32" which is the same as the StewMac roller bridge. I should have it tomorrow. I'll also use some graphite on the nut slots while I have the strings loosened.

Yep! I noticed that bridge leaning right away. The centers are 2 29/32" which is the same as the StewMac roller bridge. I should have it tomorrow. I'll also use some graphite on the nut slots while I have the strings loosened.

So you know what you're doing. I put graphite on all my not slots, which has solved almost all of the 'tuner' problems I used to have.

My P-93 is wine red too. Not many P-90 guitars prettier than that.

This is my first semi-hollow body, first with a Bigsby, first with three PUPS, and first with P90's since I got rid of my Gibson '56 Goldy decades ago which had P90 soap bars.

I wanted the P90 sound again and this one delivers. My Epi LP '60 Tribute has Gibson '57 Classic H-buckers as does my Gibson SG Standard.

I have a whole new set of tones to have fun with especially with THREE P90's. I love the variations I'm getting along with the Strat-like thwack and crunch.

The workmanship, fit and finish on my copy is excellent and it played well out of the box but I've lowered the action very slightly.

Tuning as expected is a bit fussy because of the Bigsby but not too bad overall.

AWESOME. That looks like a real work of art. Such a nice color combo, between the dark red finish, the black and the gold..... what a beauty!! I am totally envious right now!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived