Gibson Brands Forums

1994 Centennial Complete Collection

JuanCarlosVejar

I remember this stuff fairly well; actually owned a Centennial maple Hummingbird (meh) and the J-185 models.

Didja notice there's no J-45? But there are four (count 'em four) 17" jumbos, three of which are J-200 models.

Interesting no Nick Lucas, but the L-Century I guess is the stand-in.

Thanks for sharing the photo, JC!

Fred

$6k per guitar for a 1994 Montana built Gibson acoustic? I'm sorry but that's nuts.

12 nuts to be exact...

I suppose for collectors there is a premium to pay for having the whole range.

If I were to purloin one, though, it would be the 1934 Jumbo with the floating pickguard. Or the 1929 L2.

Must be the floating pickguards.

I'll sell them my '94 L-20 for $6k....clearly their "complete" collection is missing at least one!!! Maybe they are trying to "milk" the 100 year anniversary angle for these guitars>???

IIRC, there was an anniversary series that featured one guitar a month - so only 12 models. I think there were 100 of each made. There are other guitars that were made in 1994 & had various indications as Centennial guitars, but they weren't part of the "official" run. I think this collection of 12 is complete in that context. I stand to be corrected by the resident Gibson pundits :-)

CENTENNIAL SERIES

In 1994, to celebrate Gibson's 100th year, Gibson Montanacreated these highly collectible, limited edition modelsto commemorate Gibson's rich acoustic tradition.

The Gibson Centennial Series

Own A Piece of History!
These limited edition Montana Acoustic guitars pay tribute to Gibson's 100Year anniversary. All fine examples of Gibson Musical Instruments' traditionof craftsmanship, each instrument is sure to become a treasured collector'sitem in years to come.

(From the wayback machine record of the Centennial Series: http://web.archive.org/web/20040816132319/http://www.gibson.com/acoustics/1994/index.html )

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************8

IIRC, there was an anniversary series that featured one guitar a month - so only 12 models. I think there were 100 of each made. There are other guitars that were made in 1994 & had various indications as Centennial guitars, but they weren't part of the "official" run. I think this collection of 12 is complete in that context. I stand to be corrected by the resident Gibson pundits :-)

CENTENNIAL SERIES

In 1994, to celebrate Gibson's 100th year, Gibson Montanacreated these highly collectible, limited edition modelsto commemorate Gibson's rich acoustic tradition.

The Gibson Centennial Series

Own A Piece of History!
These limited edition Montana Acoustic guitars pay tribute to Gibson's 100Year anniversary. All fine examples of Gibson Musical Instruments' traditionof craftsmanship, each instrument is sure to become a treasured collector'sitem in years to come.

(From the wayback machine record of the Centennial Series: http://web.archive.o...1994/index.html )

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************8

That looks about right to me... and again, anyone parting with 72K for it is mental! They might even be double mental.....

Give me a Lotto win, and I`ll take the lot!!

If I could have only one though, I think I would plump for the 39 SJ-100, followed by the 38 SJ-200 & 40 J-55.

Steve.

yeah, I'd go for the SJ-100. But I wonder if it sounds as good as the new standard SJ-100 I played in a store a couple of times recently. That would be mighty good.

P

Archived