Gibson Brands Forums

More Pussification of America

PingPongBob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is an awesome word.

And as much as I thank Ping Pong for using it,, I'm going to have to give the nod to George Carlin.

Where I first heard it.

Looking for a word with that meaning, I found effeminacy in an online dictionary only, but I think that pussification is a bit more titillating, if not to say gamy ;)

I think that egalitarianism is a bit of an officially propagated social disease nowadays. To me it looks a bit hypocritical and duplicitous sometimes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/head-california-youth-football-league-defends-mercy-rule/

The commissioner of the California youth football league who was criticized after reports about the league's tough penalties for coaches who disregard the mercy rule defended his position Wednesday and said despite some recent hate mail, the rule will continue to be enforced.

Bill Fox, the commissioner of the Northern California Federation of Youth Football, told FoxNews.com that any coach who runs the score up by 35 points or more will be suspended for a week of practices and one game.

"When you see these kids line up at the end of the game to shake hands, there's nothing worse than seeing how devastated these children look who just lost by 50 points," he said. "A win is a win. At this age, there's no reason to run up the score."

To be sure, there is heated debate about the merits of a mercy rule. Those in favor of such rules say talented players are taught sportsmanship and losing players face a softer blow to their confidence. Those opposed to these rules say teams should compete from the beginning of the game to the end regardless of the score.

The teams in this league are comprised of players between the ages of 6 to 13 years old from various towns in the area. They play from August through October. There are playoffs and an eventual championship game is played each year. There are no individual awards like MVP or Most Improved Player.

Fox called earlier news reports that state the teams are fined $200 erroneous. He said there never was a $200 fine for violating the mercy rule.

"Bottom line, this is about players having fun," he said. "Not an ego trip for a coach who has a talented team."

Youth games can take forever so why not have a mercy rule so the parents can actually have a life? Do i like the political correctness that america is steeped in? No, but this is a YOUTH league so why not shorten it for the poor parents who need to sit through endless hours of a 60-3 blowout?

ok,, so who here has taken their kids to compete in (insert your game here) only to see at every single event

the few(and always the same) parents who are kicking and screaming on the sidelines.

You know them, the parents who either failed at that sport as a child or who never had the chance to compete

because they were not good enough.

The age group doesn't matter. I have seen these parents at events with kids as young as 5.

The kids playing the game don't really give a crap about the result. They just wanna play.

My 8 yr old daughter just yesterday competed in a city wide track meet.

There must have been 250 kids running in her heat(8 an under). I don't know how long the race was but it must have been about one maybe two kms. When she got to the finish line(walking)about middle of the pack, she had a grin from ear to ear.

When I asked her in the car on the way home why she walked into the finish line and coulda finished

another 30 places ahead you know what she said to me?

She said I didn't enter the race to win. I entered to have fun and get some exercise.

These rules aren't for the kids. They are for all the stupid parents who live vicariously through

their kids. The rules protect the parents.

The kids are fine.

your comment about the "vicarious" sports parents couldn't be more on target.

I lived with one of the insane ones until I was 16.

I never once hit hard enough, ran fast enough, or batted w/a high enough average to earn even the slightest showing of approval.

after being constantly screamed at, belittled, and threatened from the stands the entire game/practice, my after game/practice ritual always went from a chewing out in the car all the way home, to either running laps/wind sprints or throwing/batting practice in the backyard until HE was too tired to continue......and considering that he didn't work.....he was seldom too tired to continue.

Dad was absolutely convinced that becoming a sports hero was my only salvation, and that i'd succeed, or (his words) "you'll be a G.D. dope addict & i'll have to kill you". (George Deinier was his living hero....you know, the guy that shot his son for being on drugs & got away w/it 'cause he was a retired cop)

at 14, I accidentally knocked a team-mates eye OUT w/a line drive, and ran to check on him instead of running to 1st base......at which point Dad stormed the field, collared and shook me, then cursed me all the way home for not getting onto 1st base.....I thought he was going to kill me that night, literally, because he kept waving a loaded revolver in my face (another of his hobbies).

many many "sports parents" need much closer monitoring than they ever recieve.

growing up in mortal terror on a daily basis due to your "sports parent" is no fun.

Looking for a word with that meaning, I found effeminacy in an online dictionary only, but I think that pussification is a bit more titillating, if not to say gamy ;)

So when something is weak (Kenny G jazz) or sucks we use the vagina or femininity to compare it to.

Man, I am so glad I am not one of these feminists who get their panties in a wad over this stuff but I must quote Betty White to protest just a bit:

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

It was too tempting [flapper]

I think that egalitarianism is a bit of an officially propagated social disease nowadays. To me it looks a bit hypocritical and duplicitous sometimes.

So when something is weak (Kenny G jazz) or sucks we use the vagina or femininity to compare it to.

Man, I am so glad I am not one of these feminists who get their panties in a wad over this stuff but I must quote Betty White to protest just a bit:

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

Hello Izzy,

I dare to quote my whole post above although you replied explicitely quoting the first half of it.

Some males of the human species tend to demonstrate something they believe to be superiority by showing muscles or even use them, without respect for their own health, assuming it was masculine to do so. Other human males prefer moving nothing themselves but regulating other people, no matter if sensible or useful. The first will suffer musculoskeletal disorders at a relatively young age, the latter will cause problems among the people who have to obey impractical rules.

Compared to women who tend to use their physical forces reasonably, men tend to self destruction caused by irrational pride. If decisions have to be made that rule other people, I experienced that women tend to be more altruistic while men tend more to be of the selfish kind. When it is about safety or recovery systems in airplanes, trains or spaceships, men tend to save money on them as long they for sure don't have to use that vehicle, especially if they earn a bit of the money they saved.

Women and men are different, and hormones rule our lives, if we want so or not. But the very trouble nowadays in my opinion is that by nature men are the offensive, and women the defensive gender. This should work for primitive people but may turn out bad in a modern civilization. It may have horrible consequences if men take action before thinking. There are typical accidents that happen everyday - they often are caused by men who wanted to show balls. Women tend to hesitate which is more useful in many cases to avoid risks.

As for the second half of my post, I believe it is better to stay reasonable than to obsessively try making people more equal than they are. In my opinion, any unreasonable rule will cause the opposite in the end. Men, so I heard often in the past, need a challenge. It is best to deal with the right challenges I think, and the other way round, to deal with challenges right. But these are the very challenges I think: We have to accept that it is useless trying to grow balls since swollen balls hurt, and it is useless trying to become someone beyond one's own determination given by nature.

I hope I got right what I wanted to say since it all is a bit complicated for a man, ;) English is not my first language, and so there might be some mistakable idioms.

I literally lol'd.. emphasis on the 'ol'.

Ya gotta love ole Betty White.

While sports are good for the growing young body the game's should be all Intramural with no race's to see who the champ team is. Maybe different in collage sports as that's where a lot of there money comes from but high-school and under..... Get rid of the ranking's and play-off type attitude and just let the kids play for better health and good sportsmen-ship. You can still keep score as the challenge to be a good team is not the problem, making it such a big deal is the problem.

I'm not sure that I would believe that mammal females are, by hormones and genetics, "defensive." There are different "hard-wired" priorities, but those are pretty "low level" in one's brain and can bring very different responses depending on one's culture.

My mother's response to my inclination to run away from a grade school bully is a perfect example. She told me of the Spartan mothers' admonition to their sons with their shields or on them - and that I'd get worse at home if she heard I'd tried to escape confrontation. And that's some 60 years ago. Literary but...

There are, I think, some differences in the wiring and hormones, true, but things like we're talking about here are not a matter of genetics.

No, the term "pussification" is IMHO not quite correct when we're talking about an increasing interest by a large percentage of western cultures toward "equality of outcomes" as opposed to seeking excellence and being rewarded for it, and a belief that "violence" (physical, verbal or otherwise as we've mentioned in "bullying" threads) is per se evil, even in sports.

Neither perspective is necessarily "feminine" or "masculine," but rather it's broadly speaking "political."

The difficulty, IMHO, is that our current ability to see far more of what's going on in the world around us, and the lens through which we see it, is far different from the pre-cable television, pre-internet era.

To me that plays an interesting role in the increasing degree of polarities of culture that we see exemplified in our politics, perhaps especially in Anglophone nations.

For example, if one listens to arguments over current U.S. politics with an eye to "sociology" rather than one's own political views, it must be obvious we're talking cultural divisions and polarities that develop into political division.

IMHO, in such "stuff" we're not functionally speaking the same language nor giving the same meanings to words - nor giving the same values to various points of contention. Seriously, back away from personal political convictions and listen to how even words are given different meanings.

"Pussification" is an example.

BTW, such hasn't entirely made full inroads where I live. Friday night two young men played on different high schools' football teams and fields, then met to gather with their parents and horses to drive overnight to a rodeo in Omaha. One kid separated his left wrist and broke his hand in his game, had it tended to and then did the overnight run and still competed in team roping. If you watch the sport, you've gotta note that it does help to have both hands.

OTOH, I know girls who've lost digits team roping and competed the next day even with a cast to take their dallies. A "dally" is a turn around the "western" style saddle's saddle horn. Make a mistake and get a finger between horn and rope and it can get removed. Kids around here are team roping as soon as they have the strength, before that it tends to be "breakaway roping." Both are coed sports.

Of course, any horseback activity entails significant physical risk, including those popular in the U.K. and Oz. A lady friend just recovered from shattering her right leg in a pretty nasty wreck while training a horse; I lost two ancestors on my Mom's side from horse wrecks. Male, female... ain't much difference when they're horseback, and taking a tumble is part of the game whether in a barrel race, team roping or work on the rangeland miles from town.

m

Through all my life I experienced that typical males fail in offense, typical females in defense. It sadly took me a very long time until I realized that. My mother tried for all her life to make her children become a priest or a monk respectively a nun. Long behind this, she would have permitted us to become professional classic musicians what my brother became indeed, my sister and me not. When I was 45 years old, I was told what had happened during my mother's and her family's expellation from Silesia during the last months of World War II. She was a child of eleven years that time. Without further discussing it here, I concluded she did in first order everything what would keep us from living sexuality, and in second order to fulfill what she would have wanted to be if not a housewife - she was in fact a certified church organ player but never did it professionaly. She acted defending her own experiences still in an entirely different environment with entirely different persons.

So far, so good - but I was married already long before to a woman who had been misused and mistreated as a child which I don't want to discuss further here, too. It is even worse that I had felt it and concluded by her behaviour already short after meeting her for the first time. She showed not a trace of empathy when it went around rape and misuse, even not for persons actually present, and she always wanted to leave a cinema or switch off the TV a short time before the end of a movie. Whatever I bought her as a present, everything was wrong. When her father had passed away, she started to fight me for absolutely nothing and kept on doing so several years. After having got to know what had happened to my mother, I understood - my wife also was still in defense but the person she had to fight had passed away, and therefore I had to suffer it for him. She filed for divorcement later, and now we are divorced.

As for the fail of male offensive, I want to mention some well known incidents here. They make obvious that egotism and megalomania can be fatal male properties.

Think of the B-52 CZAR disaster on Fairchild airbase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

the C-17 crash at Elmendorf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Alaska_C-17_crash

the AF-447 crash into the Atlantic Ocean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

the crash of a Dash-8 Q400 - although fatigue and underpayment play a certain role here, especially for the female copilot -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407

the loss of the Costa Concordia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster

or the Chernobyl nuclear disaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

which all prove that testosteron over brain isn't always a good idea. Hurt pride may keep men from reasonable thinking when realizing a loss of control.

The majority of the members here may apologize me being male or even call me a pu$$y - the B-52 CZAR pilot named his copilot that way after having pulled his plane up a bit before passing a ridge at Yakima bomb range with estimated only 3 feet (1 meter) over ground about hundred days before the fatal incident.

See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaN9-kBBvx4

and

http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/paper/darkblue/darkblue.htm

Cap...

I think when it comes to various muscle functions under stress, and risk-taking for pilots and riders of horses, there's not much difference.

There is an old saying that does not include "sex" of the person: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old and bold pilots.

Some of the most aggressive and risk-taking people I know are cowgirls, especially at barrel racing and pole bending, but also endurance races over bad geography. But they love the adrenalin "rush" of speed and potential danger in competition.

Again, I think there is much to how a person is taught as the grow from a baby into adulthood. History tells us also that some things women have done to protect families in wartime have also been done by men. The "frontier" and "urban" environments are very, very different.

I would prefer to say, not "pussification," but "urban" acculturization.

m

@ quapman and Surfpup

Ya'll knew what I was doing there.

Man, posts on this just got all...deep and stuff. Damn thinkers!

I have to confess that I forgot to mention my personal fail in offense. I thought I would be able to handle the personal problems of my wife, and it worked well until our daughter was born, or more exactly when she knew she would be a daughter. I wanted to be surprised during her birth, as well as by my son, and didn't want to know before. However, then the first trouble appeared - perhaps she saw mistakingly her father in me? - and what happened after the death of my father-in-law I roughly posted above.

It is my personal defeat as well as the fail of her defense. I just underestimated the problem and/or was overconfident. Too bad for my children since they are charged without any guilt.

You may call me a damn thinker, but there obviously are things that make me writing lyrics and composing melodies.

Cap...

I think when it comes to various muscle functions under stress, and risk-taking for pilots and riders of horses, there's not much difference.

There is an old saying that does not include "sex" of the person: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old and bold pilots.

Some of the most aggressive and risk-taking people I know are cowgirls, especially at barrel racing and pole bending, but also endurance races over bad geography. But they love the adrenalin "rush" of speed and potential danger in competition.

Again, I think there is much to how a person is taught as the grow from a baby into adulthood. History tells us also that some things women have done to protect families in wartime have also been done by men. The "frontier" and "urban" environments are very, very different.

I would prefer to say, not "pussification," but "urban" acculturization.

m

In my opinion, it makes a difference if persons of different gender are in a comparable situation, or if someone tries to educate them as if they were all equal. I also think that there is a difference between non-sexual and sexual hormons that will have its effect on behaviour, thinking and appearance, just on everyone of us in a holistic manner.

In employment protection, there are clearly defined rules for women in Germany. They are a bit looser after the menopause, but women during her fertile years are basically sanctuaries, and during pregnancy the restrictions are significantly extended. I think this is absolutely correct, and no one would want to have it another way seriously. Payment is another thing, however, and I don't want to talk about it here.

Men are theoretically able to work under arbitrary pressure and have an unlimited mechanical capacity. This is clearly nonsense, but these are the rules. Perhaps they think if they limited them, some would try continuously and repeatedly to exceed them, like many young car and motorbike drivers.

I think you are right here when it goes around the road, too: There's no old and bold pilot.

Cap...

Ich werde versuchen, diese in Deutsch sagen. Vielleicht mit Hilfe von alten Dichter und Google Translate. Erinnerst du dich an Gedichten von Heine? Einige mit Schumanns Musik? Haben diese Worte führen auch Ihre Schmerzen?

Ist das in Ihrer Musik? Ihre Lyrik?

Hier, Ein.

Ich grolle nicht, und wenn das Herz auch bricht,

ewig verlor'nes Lieb! Ich grolle nicht.

Wie du auch strahlst in Diamantenpracht,

es fällt kein Strahl in deines Herzens Nacht,

das weiß ich längst.

Ich grolle nicht, und wenn das Herz auch bricht.

Ich sah dich ja im Traume,

und sah die Nacht in deines Herzens Raume,

und sah die Schlang', die dir am Herzen frißt,

ich sah, mein Lieb, wie sehr du elend bist.

Ich grolle nicht.

==-=-=-

Vielleicht auch hier? Ich höre, wie tiefe Traurigkeit in Heines Worte. Es tut mir leid, dass mein Deutsch ist die eines Kindes. Ich muss aus wie Heine leihen.

Die alten, bösen Lieder,

die Träume bös' und arg,

die laßt uns jetzt begraben,

holt einen großen Sarg.

Hinein leg' ich gar manches,

doch sag' ich noch nicht was.

Der Sarg muß sein noch größer

wie's Heidelberger Faß.

Und holt eine Totenbahre,

von Bretter fest und ****;

auch muß sie sein noch länger

als wie zu Mainz die Brück'.

Und holt mir auch zwölf Riesen,

die müssen noch stärker sein

als wie der starke Christoph

im Dom zu Köln am Rhein.

Die sollen den Sarg forttragen,

und senken in's Meer hinab;

denn solchem großen Sarge

gebührt ein großes Grab.

Wißt ihr warum der Sarg wohl

so groß und schwer mag sein?

Ich senkt' auch meine Liebe

Und meinen Schmerz hinein.

m

*snip

There is an old saying that does not include "sex" of the person: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old and bold pilots. snip*

m

That "old" saying isn't true. Just two examples.

Joe Foss - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Foss

Pappy Boyington- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

They both were extremely bold and lived a full life to what I would consider as "old".

Archived