Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Lite (2013)

cabba2203

I just ordered, will be delivered tomorrow, one of the LP Custom Lites. [thumbup]

So, while searching online about it, I see so many negative posts, not about quality, but that "it's not a real Custom" and it's going to "bring down the value of real customs" and such remarks. It's like what I remember here in Georgia back in the 80's when Black families started moving into what once were all white neighborhoods. "Oh Noes! My Property Values Will Drop!" LOL! :blink:

Did I just by a Pariah? [omg]

I buy guitars to play, not collect, so I'm kind of at a loss over that kind of elitist attitude. :-({|=

[lol]

I love mine. It was flawless when I bought it. Not a scratch on it, and it was finished perfectly. I wouldn't quite call it a full out custom, but, it is a great replacement for not having to hold 14lbs. for 3 hours.

I added a 2nd tone control and moved the tap switch. The only real difference between this one and the one made back in '88 is the Ebony board, and the '88 one probably has real inlays, and no weight relief.

Even with weight relief mine still weighs a tad over 8lbs.

People are going to bag on it no matter what. But, if you take it for what it is (and what it cost) you can't beat it for anything, and it is a fantastic guitar.

7E1CC61B-6EA1-421F-966A-0F9A010CC879-356-0000001E226AD38D_zps8a89fce6.jpg

C338CD6A-1037-47C0-A594-F22C4AF8FBF4-356-0000001E41FF2D8B_zpsfac5b798.jpg

Well, they're right...it ISN'T a "Real Les Paul Custom!" It's a REAL Les Paul, Custom Lite! [flapper]

Don't worry, about the haters! Who cares?!! As long as you like/love it, that's ALL that matters! [thumbup]

CB

I can't wait! I've just recently started playing the LP, been an SG, Flying-V, Explorer guy most of my life. But last year got a LP Traditional Plus and then a couple of months ago I won a LP Signature T so I've been playing those mostly as my two SGs are in need of service and are sidelined.

I have a left shoulder injury that starts to get aggravated after an hour or so with the LP on, so this Lite should help me out until my SGs are back in playing condition.

They were sold out here rather soon after their appearance. I checked out two of them but finally decided to go with a Standard Quilt a few weeks later. And finally there came my Traditional 2013.

Th Custom Lite is an appealing instrument basically. To me it seemed like a Les Paul Axcess without the expensive Axcess shaping. I found them sounding a bit lighter which reminded me of the weight relieved hardtail Axcess models, too, somewhere between a Les Paul with full body depth and an SG, either with 490R/498T pickups. I also liked the '50s neck which is very close to the Axcess neck between nut and 12th fret. On the other hand, the two I got to know couldn't keep up with the sustain of most other Gibson Les Paul guitars, including the three I already owned and the two yet to come that time. And then there were Ebony finish and gold hardware, both no favorites of mine. In the end, not having bought it was just a matter of taste for me.

I don't understand why they made them in Ebony only. If there had been a Heritage Cherry Sunburst one with chrome hardware and without the pickguard mounted, who knows. Perhaps I couldn't have resisted, even if a transparent version had been somewhat more expensive... [rolleyes]

First, congratulations on the LP Custom Lite you have on order!!! [thumbup]

What those who complain about this guitar fail to remember is that Customs that were made prior to the creation of the Gibson Custom Shop were made right along side other Gibson models. Gibson U.S.A. has made other Custom models, like the Classic Custom. The same rants you're hearing about the Custom Lite were for the most part directed at the Classic Custom, primarily that it will decrease the value of Custom shop guitars. It didn't happen with the Classic Custom, and it won't happen with the Custom Lite.

The basic thing is this: to he11 with those who whine or complain about it. If you like it, then get it and enjoy the heck out of it. You're paying for it, so what you think of it is all that really matters.

BTW, be sure to post some pics when you get!!! [cool]

...I see so many negative posts, not about quality, but that "it's not a real Custom"...

Yes. That was said about the Classic Custom and everything with unorthodox fretboard material. Then, - surprisingly - people, who actually use these instruments love them.

Enjoy Your new guitar! [thumbup]

Cheers... Bence

I have been playing it all weekend and have it with me today for rehearsal tonight. All I can say is I LOVE IT!

I like this even more than my Traditional Plus and my Signature T! It's my new Number One.

Glad you found it to be such a great new toy. [thumbup]

I have been playing it all weekend and have it with me today for rehearsal tonight. All I can say is I LOVE IT!

I like this even more than my Traditional Plus and my Signature T! It's my new Number One.

Congratulations!!! =D>

However, you do realize that pics of any new guitar are required? It's a standing forum rule that it never happened until pics are posted... [lol]

Glad you like it... [smile]

Just bought one of these off zzounds pay while you play after eyeballing some used ones for a few months. So when they popped up to where I could try one I had to go for it. The closest Gibson dealer is probably 1.5 hours away and they didn't have one in stock. I could never afford, much less justify, or budget buying a true custom so this was right up my alley. Not to mention I don't like really heavy guitars. This guitar is perfect for someone like me who wants a thinner, lighter, version of the LP but doesn't want a Fender sound. It sounds like a les paul and looks like one too! I will probably add a push/pull tone knob where the mini switch is but for now I'll leave it. I really hope Gibson continues doing this line as I would love to see a silverburst with the teardrop fashioned burst and gold hardware. I'd snatch another up in a second if they release that.

I played LP for a long time (30 Years), but like you had back/shoulder issues to went to SG, then Taylor Solid Body. Bought a Classic Custom in Feb, and one gig taught me I couldn't handle the weight for a full night. Traded it for a Custom Lite a couple months later and love it. With a quality amp, the slight drop off in tone is not noticeable so you get LP action, sound and looks but at a lighter weight and thinner more comfortable body to play.

I did mod mine adding a second tone control with a push/pull so didn't lose the coil tap function. Works and sound great, you will love it.

• 1 month later...

I got the Custom Classic but its really heavy and as I age Im probably going to wish I had this one instead.

My 80 LPC is a tank at 13 lbs..... But there is something about that substantial feel about a Norlin and non weight relived Les Paul

Archived