Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting YouTube Find

Riptide

I don't care if hes right or wrong... The guy is an ahole.....

He talks like everyone is mad apart from him and hes the only person in the world who knows these things... I think he even came on here once and was like, Ohhh im going to change your world.. He didn't and got in a huff and left when some people questioned his so called revelations (you will notice he has disabled the comments section on his videos).

(EDIT: he has recently turned them back on now and even made a video about that).

I think hes right and wrong.. BUT one of his statements is so stupid, if it makes a difference acoustically then that is the sound that is amplified.. Even though all of the differences are tiny.

So yes you can make an electric guitar out of almost anything but the undertones and the roundness of the sound is totally changed when you use different woods (otherwise all guitars would be made from pine :))

Maybe he cant tell any difference cos his hearing is crap? (after listening to the sound of his own stupid voice for too long :P)

I think he starts off with a correct position. We DO obsess over the minute details of our solid body instruments far too much and they matter far less than we pretend they do. The problem is that he then takes it too far to say that these differences don't matter at all.

The real problem with his videos are that he often sounds like he's talking down to everyone as he does in his disclaimer for this one. He has some other videos where he's demoing guitars that aren't too bad. When I do my videos I try to inject a bit of humor in where I can. If I can;t think of anything funny that day then I just try to be informative. If you know your subject there's no need to talk down to people. Never talk down to your audience. Makes you sound like a d!ck.

I see this thread is turning out well [biggrin] I don't think the wood has a huge difference on tone but I do think there is a difference. I don't think his "tests" were very scientific or reliable. To anyone who says that wood does make a difference answer me theses questions please. 1. Why does every basswood guitar I've played have a bad bottom end? 2. Why does my Les Paul Jr sound different from a Les Paul with a maple top? 3. Why does the exact same model Tele sound different with a rosewood and maple fretboard?

Now I get those things I mentioned could ALL be the effect of something else... but the common denominator is still the wood.

I see this thread is turning out well [biggrin] I don't think the wood has a huge difference on tone but I do think there is a difference. I don't think his "tests" were very scientific or reliable. To anyone who says that wood does make a difference answer me theses questions please. 1. Why does every basswood guitar I've played have a bad bottom end? 2. Why does my Les Paul Jr sound different from a Les Paul with a maple top? 3. Why does the exact same model Tele sound different with a rosewood and maple fretboard?

Now I get those things I mentioned could ALL be the effect of something else... but the common denominator is still the wood.

Electronics on guitars are not very precise, CTS pots have a tolerance of +/-5% for instance, some import pots have a tolerance of +/-10%, the same for capacitor values not to mention the pickups BUT when somebody tests and compares two guitars of the same model and they sound different they think is the wood because everything else is equal, right? well, no it isn't.

To me wood does play a roll but to make a real difference you'd have to compare like you said basswood to mahogany or something like that.

Electronics on guitars are not very precise, CTS pots have a tolerance of +/-5% for instance, some import pots have a tolerance of +/-10%, the same for capacitor values not to mention the pickups BUT when somebody tests and compares two guitars of the same model and they sound different they think is the wood because everything else is equal, right? well, no it isn't.

To me wood does play a roll but to make a real difference you'd have to compare like you said basswood to mahogany or something like that.

Yeah I agree... but every guitar with a maple fretboard I've heard has a slightly tighter more compressed tone and I don't know why that would be the case if it wasn't the wood at all.

Yeah I agree... but every guitar with a maple fretboard I've heard has a slightly tighter more compressed tone and I don't know why that would be the case if it wasn't the wood at all.

I used to think that the baked maple fretboard on my CC was brighter than rosewood.

But even as unscientific as this guys demo is he makes a great point about the inlays.

If the fretboard material makes such a difference you should expect to hear a huge difference between the inlayed and non-inlay frets,, yet there is zero difference.

Why is that?

I used to think that the baked maple fretboard on my CC was brighter than rosewood.

But even as unscientific as this guys demo is he makes a great point about the inlays.

If the fretboard material makes such a difference you should expect to hear a huge difference between the inlayed and non-inlay frets,, yet there is zero difference.

Why is that?

It's the fretboard-neck respectively inlay-fretboard-neck cross section that counts, not the surface, and the fret wires are put on wood, not on inlays. This is also the reason why finished fretboards don't sound like finish, no matter if maple or, e. g. on Rickenbacker instruments, rosewood is under the finish.

Why is that?

But in my opinion it's not pressing strings on it that makes a difference it's it vibrating with the rest of the guitar on a whole.

It's the fretboard-neck respectively inlay-fretboard-neck cross section that counts, not the surface, and the fret wires are put on wood, not on inlays. This is also the reason why finished fretboards don't sound like finish, no matter if maple or, e. g. on Rickenbacker instruments, rosewood is under the finish.

This ^^ :)

Interesting,, that makes sense.

Which also bunks his theory about the inlays....lol... nice.

Ain't logic grand? hehe...

[thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

This guys arguments are based in totally flawed logic. he has either convinced himself based on a total lack of understanding or he is just one of those combative people who would use any amount of bad logic to argue that black is white.

Archived