Gibson Brands Forums

should i buy it?

Tobougg

Hey guys! fairly new member here, i need some advice.

There's a guy i've been in contact with who is willing to let his Les Paul reissue go

to me for 1450 euro's! ($1900). the thing is is that i heard there is some fakes etc,

i have a couple of pics of the guitar and im just wanting to make sure im buying a real

guitar, can you shed any light on this before i sink my teeth in? it looks SOO beautiful.

Thanks for your help in advance brothers!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/Ortayga/DSC_1237_zpsec25cf06.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/Ortayga/DSC_1234_zps1cc0ea1c.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/Ortayga/DSC_12281_zpsbe8a6f2d.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/Ortayga/DSC_1224_zpsae6a7da5.jpg

he said it's a 2000 model

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many reasons. The bridge sticks out the most to me

this is potentially an amazing deal, and very important in that it could be my first

gibson guitar, my first amazingly well made guitar. and alot of money,.

could you maybe be a litte more specific?

I would stay away it has wrong case candy.. it is just a little off on finish and binding and I wuld really get pictures of the inside of the electronics.. you are going to be real real unhappy if you blow the money and get something that isn't what you think also they do not have the same quality of a true Gibson.. I was caught with an ES335 it is not fun and you will not be happy if you jump before you check it out *)O(*

thanks for the replies guys. it has a real case and an owners manual. he had a picture of the pickups taken out and they say burstbucker 2 and 3

They might be burstbuckers and the case might be real and he might have bought it for that same reason. But, the guitar has issues that are obvious. Do not pay $1900 for it, you will be sorry.

They might be burstbuckers and the case might be real and he might have bought it for that same reason. But, the guitar has issues that are obvious. Do not pay $1900 for it, you will be sorry.

is there anything on it that looks real? i mean that finish looks amazing doesn't it? looks beautiful to me, like AAAA or something

most important thing should be how the guitar plays and sounds. but yeah, the top looks nice....

damn... i trust you guys but it's just SO beautiful, i've never seen an epihone up close that looked as beautiful as this one does

and the neck and head look beautiful also

damn... i trust you guys but it's just SO beautiful, i've never seen an epihone up close that looked as beautiful as this one does

and the neck and head look beautiful also

You're right, it does look beautiful. Probably hand made too. I think you should buy it.

Gibson logo is definately off in many places...starting with 'dot' over the "i"...too large...rest of lettering is also simply off. Truss rod cover seems too close to nut. Tuner washers seem too small. I see signs of sloppy workmanship too. Bridge posts seem like ones on fakes (has a slot). Center notch on headstock top seems too shallow. Why would truss rod cover repeat "Les Paul" that's already painted on the headstock. Heel seems very misshaped too.

On the other hand, the backside access covers seem well placed. It has nibs!! The volume/tone knobs also seem well placed also.

Check serial number....though that could be fake too.

You're right, it does look beautiful. Probably hand made too. I think you should buy it.

Seriously? I never would encourage anyone to pay a multiple of its value for anything, let alone a forum member to throw away lots of bucks for a faked guitar. Think of the scoff she/he will earn everywhere for having done so, and the wailing we will find here about not having adviced her/him better. :-k

Making lots of money for nothing will also encourage fakers to go on faking guitars. [sad]

Of course it's a fake.

Forumites; read through this post.

http://forum.gibson....al-or-standard/

I have my suspicions - and I'm not just talking about the very pretty firewood pictured in this thread...

There are enough places for a faker to find out how to improve their product without us all pointing them out as well.

In this case the fret-ends have nibs. Previously that has not often been found on a far-eastern fake.

Perhaps the counterfeiters have got the message?

Please let's not make it easier for them by listing all the discrepancies we can see everytime someone we don't know from Adam asks 'How do you know it's a fake?'.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

What Pippy said, with a less softened edge....

The OP appeared here and started 2 troll threads, now this, read the OP and then his second post in this thread, this seems like a man who is fishing for info on how to make a convincing fake.

Of course it's a fake.

Forumites; read through this post.

http://forum.gibson....al-or-standard/

I have my suspicions - and I'm not just talking about the very pretty firewood pictured in this thread...

There are enough places for a faker to find out how to improve their product without us all pointing them out as well.

In this case the fret-ends have nibs. Previously that has not often been found on a far-eastern fake.

Perhaps the counterfeiters have got the message?

Please let's not make it easier for them by listing all the discrepancies we can see everytime someone we don't know from Adam asks 'How do you know it's a fake?'.

P.

did this w/some hi-$ Fenders in their lounge as well...........go have a look

did this w/some hi-$ Fenders in their lounge as well...........go have a look

Funny you should say that, Bender...

Actually I was naughty before I made my first post here and looked through the pages in his p'bucket a/c to see what else there might be.

There are a couple of snaps of a dodgy-looking Strat(s?) and I was going to raise this matter earlier but didn't because without a shot of the p'head I didn't know whether they were meant to be 'real'.

One of the aspects of this particular LP fake is that it isn't the usual Standard but an R9 - but because of that they got far, far more details wrong than usual. There are at least 18 errors visible in those four snaps.

For two reasons I think this is a bad move on the part of the counterfeiters but if they waste their time (and it will be a waste of time) trying to replicate these then perhaps fewer people will be offered the usual garbage.

P.

Seriously? I never would encourage anyone to pay a multiple of its value for anything, let alone a forum member to throw away lots of bucks for a faked guitar. Think of the scoff she/he will earn everywhere for having done so, and the wailing we will find here about not having adviced her/him better. :-k

Making lots of money for nothing will also encourage fakers to go on faking guitars. [sad]

Sorry if my sarcasm wasn't obvious. I remembered this guy from his previous troll threads. I completely agree with pippy and Farnsbarns.

Archived