Gibson Brands Forums

2014 models, so disappointed...

mountain2012

I'm so let down that none of the new affordable models feature '50s necks.

For those of you who haven't tried a '50s neck on an SG, they don't feel good on Les Pauls, but on SGs they feel right at home. Try one if you never have.

Here's to hoping for next year's models [sad]

Here's my ideal SG:

-'50s rounded neck

-cherry satin finish

-humbuckers

-kluson style tuners

-tune o matic

-mahogany neck

-rosewood fretboard

-vintage style pickguard

-dot inlays

So I got on the Wildwood site today and was immediately taken by the new 2014 walnut stain SG standard… it's a color which I have always loved. Then, there was the tastefully discreet anniversary fretboard inlay, understated and quite classy IMO… then I saw those #$%@'n mini tuners. Why in god's name would you take what has obviously been a massive marketing flop and install it on EVERY SINGLE SG STANDARD!?!?! [thumbdn]

On the upside, the new '61 SG Tribute is a very nice looking instrument and it appears that the Derek Trucks SG is making a return… as for the rest of the SG lineup, I could take 'em or leave 'em, although the new pickups are intriguing. I hope that someone at Gibson is listening and releases some 2014 Standard SG's w/o those robo-tuners. Better yet, put them all in a capsule and send them to deep space and be done with them. I'd have probably figured a way to pony up the cash for a walnut one but not now. Sorry…

As far as the rest of the new Gibsons… there's some nifty looking offerings but nothing I'm drooling over (yet).

I got my '60s Tribute SG earlier this year, and the '50s-style neck on it is a dream. Feels so much better than the neck on my old '91 Standard's.

But I do not share in your disappointment with the 2014 line-up. I am already obsessing over a Special in Butterscotch, and playing around with pick guards for it....

I'm so let down that none of the new affordable models feature '50s necks.

For those of you who haven't tried a '50s neck on an SG, they don't feel good on Les Pauls, but on SGs they feel right at home. Try one if you never have.

Here's to hoping for next year's models [sad]

Here's my ideal SG:

-'50s rounded neck

-cherry satin finish

-humbuckers

-kluson style tuners

-tune o matic

-mahogany neck

-rosewood fretboard

-vintage style pickguard

-dot inlays

Have you tried this site... man its a lot of fun :)

http://www.frankmontag.com/editors.htm

Not one damn '50s neck in the whole lot of SGs.

I don't see one redeeming guitar in the entire lineup. They're putting maple necks on Les Pauls like it's the f*#%ing '70s. Did they forget that those are the cost-cutting measures that drove them to near death in the early '80s? And what's with the mini-toggle for 15db boost? Not only is it utterly useless for anyone with a Tube Screamer, but it looks like hell.

Don't get me started on the Min-ETune system...which sucks. Now you can't buy an SG Standard for the already outrageous $1300 they were charging last year.

I guess what I'm really driving at here is that I'm disgusted by where Henry is steering the company I grew up loving. It was bad enough he went parading around the 700 Club to rally the cult behind the idea that he was somehow being personally persecuted for having Republican ties. Dude, you illegally sourced woods...get over it. If you really care about the environment, why not reboot the Smartwood collection? Oh, right...expensive to produce.

I will not be purchasing any new Gibsons until ownership is transferred to someone with more integrity and respect for his clientele.

Not one damn '50s neck in the whole lot of SGs.

I don't see one redeeming guitar in the entire lineup. They're putting maple necks on Les Pauls like it's the f*#%ing '70s. Did they forget that those are the cost-cutting measures that drove them to near death in the early '80s? And what's with the mini-toggle for 15db boost? Not only is it utterly useless for anyone with a Tube Screamer, but it looks like hell.

Don't get me started on the Min-ETune system...which sucks. Now you can't buy an SG Standard for the already outrageous $1300 they were charging last year.

I guess what I'm really driving at here is that I'm disgusted by where Henry is steering the company I grew up loving. It was bad enough he went parading around the 700 Club to rally the cult behind the idea that he was somehow being personally persecuted for having Republican ties. Dude, you illegally sourced woods...get over it. If you really care about the environment, why not reboot the Smartwood collection? Oh, right...expensive to produce.

I will not be purchasing any new Gibsons until ownership is transferred to someone with more integrity and respect for his clientele.

Wow, and I was only peeved about the SG standard coming stock with Min-ETunes!

I saw a demo of the new LP Classic and it sounded pretty darn good to me… regarding the new 2014 SGs, I see the biggest plus being the reintroduction of the Derek Trucks. As the happy owner of a 2012 model, I happen to think it's a pretty sweet guitar. Glad I grabbed one last year before the price went up! [biggrin]

The new SG Specials look pretty good too… I do like that they have gloss finishes. I noticed the bursts have black backs… hmmm, not sure I like that. I do like the Walnut and Cherry finishes. I'd be more inclined to grab one of those than a Standard unless they lose the tuners.

Wasn't it just a few years ago everyone was all up in arms over baked maple & richlite? I agree with the last comment that no company is going to release an entire model year of guitars that are going to appeal to everyone. As much as I love Fenders, there are a TON of models I couldn't give two hoots about. Same goes for this years Gibson line up… and who knows what they may release over the course of the year???

That's the one that caught my eye as well, if I were to get one, that would be the one.

Yeah, cabba...

I love the flat "vintage-y" finishes... next to the "wood/naturals" and "bursts". Like you, the butterscotch finish drew me in like a siren lures a wayward sailor to jagged rocks! LOL!... ok, maybe not like that so much.

I don't have an SG with a dot neck, either. This Special would take care of that need, as well.

PELHAM, Gibson, PELHAM. And with a dark fretboard like ebony or curacao de negro or w/e. Just do it already. I don't want to buy a sig model from years past to get what I want in an SG. I don't care if you add a lyre to it or not, I'll add one myself if I have to.

Well, when his very first post, trashes the company that owns the sight, "Troll" comes

to mind. I know of NO company, that can please everyone, all the time. Let's

leave it, at that. :rolleyes:

CB

While it's true that no company can please everyone all the time, Gibson has fallen off the cliff of corporate greed.

Have you played a non-Custom Shop Gibson made after 2005ish? The quality control is all but gone.

What's sadder than that, though, is the fact that while companies like PRS are constantly refining and innovating, Gibson is rehashing the same old **** but with lesser quality. If you pick up a 2013 PRS Custom 24 it will 100% of the time be better than a 1993 model. Can Gibson say that?

Henry bought the company with good intentions and gave it a second life, but that life has tragically ended once again. I'm not a troll, I'm just speaking my mind. Isn't that what forums are for? Especially in a post titled "2014 models, so disappointed"?

All 4 of my current Gibson USA SG's were purchased in the last 12 months!

I've NEVER (before) bought that many guitars, in that short a period. But,

these have ALL been exemplary!

You may not care for any of the current production, or even in the last 10

years. That's your right. But, to come on the Gibson forum, and trash

the company, it's product, and how it's run, with your very first posting,

while within your rights, doesn't speak very well for your intentions.

If you love PRS, or other guitars so much, maybe you want to spend your

time, and praises, with their Forums. Bashing a competitor, is easy!

While none of the members here, have any illusions, about "perfection" in

manufacturing, we do hold Gibson accountable, and I'm proud to say that

my 4 latests acquisitions, were as near "perfect" as a mass produced item

of this type, can be. I've seen a lot of PRS models, played quite a few

of them, as my dealer is a PRS dealer, as well as a Gibson dealer. They

sell 5 times, the number of Gibson's, as PRS...in the same price range.

As far as "same old ....," PRS essentially borrowed (same say stole)

those "old designs," from Gibson. Sure, they put their spin on it, as

one would expect. But, let's not call them all that "innovative!" They're

merely their versions, fancier or not, of Les Paul's, and LP Double Cuts!

If you have something positive, to contribute DallasSchneider, by all means,

stick around, and enjoy. If not...have a nice life!

CB

@charliebrown: stop being an apologist. A forum isn't only for fan boys and suck ups. When a member posts constructive commentary, embrace it.

I've seen a lot of posts on QC issues in my time here, and one can't simply ignore them - well you can, but I digress. But the whole "only a Gibson is good enough" is a meaningless slogan. Seriously. Go look at a Taylor or a PRS. They're built extremely well. You pay for it, but the build quality is there. Gibson, on the other hand, is aspiring to be a little better than Fender -- presumably because they want the volume of sales. Users like Dallas and even myself want Gibson to aspire to be more: to be better than Taylor and PRS.

I want to be able to buy an SG and not have to worry that the finish didn't completely fill the serial number stamp or that there are chips around the bridge posts. Right now, I can't do that. I have to physically inspect a new SG before buying it. That's not a good thing for Gibson, and shame on you if think its acceptable to let poorly crafted guitars leave the factory with "Gibson" printed on the headstock.

So, If you are willing to have an open, dialogue, "charlie, brown", by all means,

stick, "around", and, enjoy. If not...have a nice, life!

@charliebrown: stop being an apologist. A forum isn't only for fan boys and suck ups. When a member posts constructive commentary, embrace it.

I've seen a lot of posts on QC issues in my time here, and one can't simply ignore them - well you can, but I digress. But the whole "only a Gibson is good enough" is a meaningless slogan. Seriously. Go look at a Taylor or a PRS. They're built extremely well. You pay for it, but the build quality is there. Gibson, on the other hand, is aspiring to be a little better than Fender -- presumably because they want the volume of sales. Users like Dallas and even myself want Gibson to aspire to be more: to be better than Taylor and PRS.

I want to be able to buy an SG and not have to worry that the finish didn't completely fill the serial number stamp or that there are chips around the bridge posts. Right now, I can't do that. I have to physically inspect a new SG before buying it. That's not a good thing for Gibson, and shame on you if think its acceptable to let poorly crafted guitars leave the factory with "Gibson" printed on the headstock.

So, If you are willing to have an open, dialogue, "charlie, brown", by all means,

stick, "around", and, enjoy. If not...have a nice, life!

LOL..."Apologist?!" ME?!! I don't think so! Not if you've seen any of my posts on QC, and

other "Gibson" issues. I only tend to wonder, about a new member, who, on his very first post,

decides to deride the company, that sponsors the forum he's chosen to "join," on his motivation

for joining. That's all. I'm no suck up, fanboy, either. As anyone that knows me, here, can

tell you. But, I do love the Gibson's I've purchased, for the fine instruments, they are! You may

not know, but I didn't buy an SG, for over 40 years, due to my disappointment in the direction they'd

gone, with their cosmetics (puny bevels, and NO horn tapering) They looked, for years, like a "knock off,"

of the originals. I've also said that, many times, here. So, I've had my own issues, with Gibson.

But, I think too, they put out an awesome product, in most cases. Considering the amount of that

product they make, at any one time. Sure, some slip through the cracks, now and then. But, again,

not all those percieved problems are from the factory. Some, are...but some are due to things that

happen along the line. Have a nice day!

CB

post '05 or so?

my 9/06 Flying V is flawless.

so is my early "post flood" 6/10 SG Std....which I was concerned about having bought it online.

anyone that expects perfection in every example of ANYTHING be it handmade, machine made, or hybrid, is a bit delusional. If you look long and hard enough at anything, flaw can be found in it IF that's what you're looking for.

some folks thrive on negativity.......maybe they should try realism for a change of pace.....it makes for a much happier existence.

that's why retailers have liberal return policys....which i've had to make use of on more than 1 occasion.

maybe i've been lucky w/my Gibsons.....maybe their QC is a bit better than average.

either way, i'll take it.

While it's true that no company can please everyone all the time, Gibson has fallen off the cliff of corporate greed.

Have you played a non-Custom Shop Gibson made after 2005ish? The quality control is all but gone.

What's sadder than that, though, is the fact that while companies like PRS are constantly refining and innovating, Gibson is rehashing the same old **** but with lesser quality. If you pick up a 2013 PRS Custom 24 it will 100% of the time be better than a 1993 model. Can Gibson say that?

Henry bought the company with good intentions and gave it a second life, but that life has tragically ended once again. I'm not a troll, I'm just speaking my mind. Isn't that what forums are for? Especially in a post titled "2014 models, so disappointed"?

I'm not sure you realize what you said Dallas. While putting PRS on a pedastal. you totaly bashed them in doing so.

"Have you played non-custom shop Gibson made after 2005"

Yes and most people will disagree with you on the quality control issue. As Bender said, If you look hard enough you will find fault with most everything.

"Companies like PRS are constanly refining and inovating"

Inovating is one thing but refining is another. When you are continually refining something that means that you have not yet reached the full potential of that product.

"Gibson is rehashing the same old ****"

Yes and that is why we buy them. We like the Les Pauls and SGs the way they are and have always been.

"If you pick up a 2013 PRS 24 it will 100% of the time be better than a 2003 model"

That means that PRS guitars made around 2003 were crap! Why because they are not yet finished refining their product as you stated. I personally cant tell you one way or the other as i have never tried one, old or new. I can tell you that after reading your post that i will never consider buying a used PRS.

"Can Gibson say that"

I myself hope they never do! They already have a time tested, fully refined, quality product. And again thats why we buy them! Thats the way we want them! They don't have to say anything, their guitars speak for themselves.

Archived