Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Les Pauls

Zeppeholic

What do you think about the new 2014 Gibson Les Pauls?

I don't really like any of them, but I like the colors. My generation loves this modern crap, and I'm here loving the 1959 reissues and the traditional/old school Les Pauls.

I want a 1959 LPRI VOS (the slightly aged one, because I don't like the new glossy feel, I get the damn stivky neck)

Anyways.. Thoughts of the 2014 Les Pauls or the 2014 line up in general?

I like the Ocean Blue finish and the Lemon. I'm on the fence with all the splitting and boosting as I wouldn't really use it. I'll get one in either of the colors I mentioned just because I missed out on the last Anniversary Gibsons. I'll buy it for the 12th fret inlay - LOL! [laugh]

I'm excited about Gibson's choice of maple as the neck wood on many of the new models. I have experienced headstock cracks and breaks on mahogany necks but never on maple.

Way to go Gibson!

Seems sensible, but it always has to do with the treatment of a guitar. I know of several inadvertently snapped mahogany headstocks and of not a single maple one, but I never experienced this trouble myself although in my aresenal mahogany necks are the vast majority since 33 years.

i must say, the thing that bothers me most about the new gibsons is the stivky necks.

My experiences with sticky Gibson necks are strange ones. The only affected areas were those of two Gibson Custom guitars which are supported by lined rests in their Custom cases. None of my Gibson USA instruments is affected. Obviously the glues used for the case linings react differently with nitrocellulose finishes.

I always put a cloth between my Custom Shop Gibsons and the rests, and this keeps the necks from becoming sticky. Furthermore, I hope the problem will go away with time. I guess the cloths are drawing the adversive substances, and that they will go way when washing them.

I don't know much about frozen frets... marketing???? I'm still waiting for basic long lasting SS frets as factory stock...LOL.

"Fly over frets"...marketing term for no fret nibs...just like every other guitar company that has neck binding. That's less hours to manufacture and better profit margin for Gibson.

I would like to play one without the nibs to see what it means in terms of the playable fret length at the fretboard edges. One complaint I have with many LPs is that with the nibs and long slope of the fret end filing it can result in the high E string sliding off a bit when doing pull offs.

I would like to play one without the nibs to see what it means in terms of the playable fret length at the fretboard edges. One complaint I have with many LPs is that with the nibs and long slope of the fret end filing it can result in the high E string sliding off a bit when doing pull offs.

Yeah I have that problem on the necks that are slimmer, on the R9 I tried out it was just fine, perfect.

And what I mean by sticky neck, is the lacquer gets kinda sticky from the sweat and stuff. That's why I like the regular R9's (not the gloss version) because the lacquer has sank in a bit because of the VOS treatment and it's smooth and my hands don't stick on it when I sweat

I have just had a look at the new Gibson for 2014, the tops do not impress me much and I am glad I got mine this year

I got the Les Paul standard 2013 premium flame in tea burst and love it

the new one's for this year only have a few premium's like the Premium Quilt in Root beer that is the Top: AAA Figured Quilted maple at £2,899.00GBP

the ones for 2013 are AAAA also maple £2,469.00GBP and the top on mine is banging so the top are not as good as 2013 and the 120 years badge is worth nothing

if I have made a mistake with this in any way I apologise so please let me know if I'm wrong

Thanks

Doug

My 2008 LP STD was notoriously sticky for the first year. Now its the smoothest neck ever. You just need to play them. The Gibson pump polish helps too. As for the 2014s I'm not interested in the robot tuners or perl key tuners. Just a personal preference. I just picked up a 2013 so next year is a pass anyway.

I have just had a look at the new Gibson for 2014, the tops do not impress me much and I am glad I got mine this year

I got the Les Paul standard 2013 premium flame in tea burst and love it

the new one's for this year only have a few premium's like the Premium Quilt in Root beer that is the Top: AAA Figured Quilted maple at £2,899.00GBP

the ones for 2013 are AAAA also maple £2,469.00GBP and the top on mine is banging so the top are not as good as 2013 and the 120 years badge is worth nothing

if I have made a mistake with this in any way I apologise so please let me know if I'm wrong

Thanks

Doug

There is no mistake in it I think. You say that you love your 2013 Standard Premium flame top - that is what counts, and then it's all good in my opinion. [thumbup]

Well, it looks as if they changed pickups again, so I am glad I got a LP Trational 2013 model with the '57 pickups.

Ah, who knows!

I found myself really liking those '57 pups as well - they sound great! [thumbup]

Same here, mine is a '12. I set out looking for something with higher output like the 498/490 combination, but the 57s are so smooth! I ended up putting active EMGs in my prs for the metal days.

I'm toying with the idea of either another prs or a SG standard....but the new SGs have 57s now, so it would be a lot of the same. If I can find an SG with the 498/490 I might jump on it. While I love the fat neck on the trad, I do like the faster 60s slim necks for faster solos.

Same here, mine is a '12. I set out looking for something with higher output like the 498/490 combination, but the 57s are so smooth! I ended up putting active EMGs in my prs for the metal days.

I'm toying with the idea of either another prs or a SG standard....but the new SGs have 57s now, so it would be a lot of the same. If I can find an SG with the 498/490 I might jump on it. While I love the fat neck on the trad, I do like the faster 60s slim necks for faster solos.

I got the Classic 57's in my LP Classic Custom and the 490/498 combo in my SG Standard. IMHO, those are the ideal pick ups for those two models. The LP with the Classic 57's is perfect for blues and classic style rock and the SG with the 490/498 just smokes for playing hard rock. [thumbup]

Archived