Gibson Brands Forums

Pelham Blue

Pin

What is it about the colour "Pelham Blue"?

Why is it that it is considered attractive? I find it awful.

I can just about accept Cherry red or Wine red and that is it for self-colouring for me. Everything else is undesirable.

Now what is desirable is various versions of sunburst or natural.

Opinions?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of with you, not a big fan of those kind of colors either I've a 96 Wine Red LP standard. it's very dark. almost looks black. but it's hands down the best playing / responsive guitar I have.

I do like the tasty new Bursts that Gibson has been coming out with recently.

I like Pelham Blue. I also like TV Yellow, Trans Green, Silver, Blue, Purple and Red Sparkle and most of the other not-so-common colors they put out. What I dont like is Vintage Sunburst with too much yellow in the center and that awful Heritage Cherry Clownburst. Just my opnion though. We all have different tastes. [smile]

Same here. While some may like it I would never own a pelham blue guitar...or red/cherry, sunburst or not. Not knocking those who do like them but it just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand I like flamed green or purple but most of my guitars are black so what do I know.

weird thread.

but since you asked, i think it's one of the most incredible colors i have ever seen in my life.

Weird?

I find that remark weird to be honest.

It is just an expression of personal taste - simple as that. I see lots of threads on here extolling Pelham Blue and I detest the colour so just gave a voice to my feeling. Take or leave it old chap! I am not forcing you to any opinion. It is just a bit of fun that's all.

I like Pelham Blue. What I dont like is Vintage Sunburst with too much yellow in the center and that awful Heritage Cherry Clownburst.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I also like... Trans Green...Blue...Purple...

We all have different tastes. [smile]

Don't we just! Being reminded that green & purple guitars exist makes me want to "vent over a color" (great phrase Scott.) I'd also like to vent over AAA grade tiger-stripe maple tops.

Pelham blue is a nice color . They make so many colors now it nice to see it happen . Thank god the world is not just one color . I think they make so many colors so every body can buy the color they like .

Sure is old chap.

In fact you can't beat it.

Have a good year.

and you too.

hopefully you are feeling better now that you got this off your chest; it would be a pity to start the new year off with pelham blue color dragging you down.

I'd also like to vent over AAA grade tiger-stripe maple tops.

I'm with you. I like a little flame in a Les Paul but don't like the super tiger flamed tops. They look fake to me.

I don't care for Pelham blue either. I do like white. [smile]

Johntrem makes a very valid point that few consider: All "color," even "black" on guitar finishes, printing ink, etc., etc., is a matter of pigment in some sort of carrying medium.

Pigment fades; different pigments fade differently. Even "black" is usually a matter of a carbon "black" which really isn't quite black, and green and/or blue pigment of some sort is added.

Bottom line here is that any "color" that involves more than one sort of pigment will shift color during the process of fading. You don't need a spectrophotometer to see that proven, either. Any sort of comparison should make that rather obvious.

Expectation to the contrary is bound to bring disappointment. Yes, some pigments will last longer than others, but few last as long as some purchasers believe they "should."

I'll add also that the color of light on a guitar finish, even "natural" light outdoors, also will change one's perception of "color." Ditto in some applications with the color of the underlying wood.

m

The older pelhams turned green.

So did older goldtops with nitro finish due to the bronze powder oxidizing. Not likely to happen to poly finished guitars.

All of the ice tea, honeyburst, etc. is due to the fading of the red dye in the older cherry sunbursts. Varying amounts of fading in the originals led us to the various burst colours replicated on newer guitars. Near the end of the original sunburst LPs they changed the dye so that it didn't fade so much but turned out ot be the tomato soup burst(1960).

So did older goldtops with nitro finish due to the bronze powder oxidizing. Not likely to happen to poly finished guitars.

It really depends on how much UV exposure the poly gets over time. It will turn yellow over time if exposed to enough sunlight. I've seen plenty of blue epiphones with a green tinge from too much UV where the area under the pickguard or some other covered area was still blue.

It really depends on how much UV exposure the poly gets over time. It will turn yellow over time if exposed to enough sunlight. I've seen plenty of blue epiphones with a green tinge from too much UV where the area under the pickguard or some other covered area was still blue.

Yeah I know they fade but the greening is a little different. Maybe the modern finishes behave differently than the older ones.

I had an Epi acoustic and the top,natural, faded nicely even though it was a poly finish. Actually it didn't fade but turned darker over the ten years I had it (although there was no pigment involved in that one). My old trans amber Epi LP turned darker too and looked better, to my eyes, with age.

I'll add also that the color of light on a guitar finish, even "natural" light outdoors, also will change one's perception of "color." Ditto in some applications with the color of the underlying wood.

m

Absolutely. My iced tea LP looks very different outside in natural sunlight.

2004GibsonLPStdIcedTea_6.jpg

DSC_2942.jpg

There would be three factors involved if a finish is transparent or translucent.

There's the wood itself and how it responds to age, weather and the finish; the medium carrying the pigments will age one way or another; and the pigments.

Whether a given instrument/finish ages as an owner might prefer is subject to the perspective of the owner. But all will age and change in various qualities, including "color."

m

Yeah I know they fade but the greening is a little different. Maybe the modern finishes behave differently than the older ones.

I had an Epi acoustic and the top,natural, faded nicely even though it was a poly finish. Actually it didn't fade but turned darker over the ten years I had it (although there was no pigment involved in that one). My old trans amber Epi LP turned darker too and looked better, to my eyes, with age.

Most of the blue Epiphones that I've seen green out were from the 1990's, so the poly may be different now. I had a nice Epiphone Expert 6 in natural ash that darkened up really nice too. It hung on the shelf of a music store for about five years before I bought it and the areas under the factory stickers was considerably lighter than the rest of the guitar. It took about ten years for those areas to catch up to the rest of the body...and even then you could still barely see it if you looked for it.

oh, it had a porous matte finish on it.

Archived