Gibson Brands Forums

Another precious case

E-minor7

I thought they would throw in a nice guitar for that kind of money.

The question is: what happened to the guitar that went with the case? Maybe the guy with the guitar said "This case stinks, get me a new one".

Musty guitar cases are not good.

I guess I will not be shopping at Island Guitars any time soon.

On the other hand I also have an original Brown Lifton J-200 case. So for today only, I will let it go to any Forum member for 1/2 the price of the one on eBay. Yes, you heard me - 1/2 off. And before one of you smart alecks brings it up - no the guitar does not come with it.

I think the seller is getting the case mixed up with the 1950s Les Paul 5 latch Lifton case which can sell in the thousands.

A few weeks back though there was a 1930s Martin Geib case on eBay I was watching (I thought it might make a nice mate for my Banner J-50) that went for just under $1K.

The market is, well, a market. I get about a request a week to value vintage Gibsons. I always decline. "It's worth what someone will pay for it. Search Gbase and eBay." I'm neither offended nor even very curious about prices for things I'm neither seeking to buy nor sell.

As a point of reference, and original 1959 Les Paul case could bring triple the asking price of this case.

JNick, the guitar may have been damaged or stolen while the case was safe under the bed. Other possibility -I got a 1 month old H'Bird TV I found on GC's website a couple of years ago. The store was over in Southern CA and they said when their frequent flier customer returned it he kept the special edition Cali girl type case. So, maybe he was able to sell the case and make up some of the difference between he paid and what he got back. I would love an old case like this one, but agree JG, who needs musty?

After that price tag I like this note -

'Buyer to pay for Ground Shipping '

ButtHead wants $3,500 PLUS $85 shipping!!!

There's a sucker born every minute. (Attributed to PT Barnum, but actually said by David Hannum, after his rival created a copy of a faked statue Hannum was duped into buying, and Barnum drew more crowds claiming that his copy of the fake was real. TMI? )

Archived