Gibson Brands Forums

Is this the JT SJ ?

duluthdan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think someone posted this last week or the week before and JT seemed to think it was one of the models, no certainty though as he sems to have got cut out of the loop after the initial phase.

Would be fabulous to have a side-by-side with the guitar it was modelled on.

Dan,

In the words of Mick and Keef, "I've got no expectations."

That describes my golf game... I really do hope that chat goes well, let the PR guy know that there is a bit of head-scratching going on in the acoustic guitar circles over some of these re-issues, and their introduction and roll-out. It'd be nice to know the back-story on the model guitars. That particular SJ sounds surprisingly similar to the 2012 custom i have - with the wider neck. Did the original this was modeled after have a 1.75 neck, or a particularly thick or beefy neck? I'd be interested to see the specs side by side of your original and this re-creation.

Did the original this was modeled after have a 1.75 neck, or a particularly thick or beefy neck? I'd be interested to see the specs side by side of your original and this re-creation.

Dan,

Yes, the Banner-era guitars had a 1 3/4 nut width and fairly beefy necks. My guitar after which this guitar was modeled was built during the no-metal-truss-rod time and has a particularly chunky neck profile, apparently duplicated on the copy.

Dan,

Yes, the Banner-era guitars had a 1 3/4 nut width and fairly beefy necks. My guitar after which this guitar was modeled was built during the no-metal-truss-rod time and has a particularly chunky neck profile, apparently duplicated on the copy.

aside from the neck, I wonder if there are any differences between this and my stellar SC SJ. I've grown quite fond of beefy necks and wish my sj had a beefier one but other than that she's a 10/10 for me.

nice to hear this thing finally and she sounds great.

Too bad Gibson didn't drop one fret. I like the look of a complete rosette. How hard can it be to get a detail like that right on a reissue based on a guitar they had in hand???

I would also have prefered the sunset burst, like the SCSJ. I like to see some red in a burst.

Oh well, I'm just in a cranky mood today...

Lars

Too bad Gibson didn't drop one fret. I like the look of a complete rosette. How hard can it be to get a detail like that right on a reissue based on a guitar they had in hand???

I would also have prefered the sunset burst, like the SCSJ. I like to see some red in a burst.

Oh well, I'm just in a cranky mood today...

Lars

you are not alone in wanting them to drop 1 fret . I second that !

the sunset burst is awesome too

JC

Any news?

I would have to predict that perhaps due to the changing of some of the top guard at Gibson Acoustic that there is probably a disconnect, and the proverbial corporate revolving door will not lead to many answers. Marvelous opportunity to resurrect a great marketing idea. The custom SJ I had built a couple of years ago seems really close in specs to the 43 banner demo. Adi top, smaller burst, 30's pattern forward X bracing, 1.75 nut, luthier choice neck, this full neck profile, and sounds very "open". Very nice complimentary guitar to my J-45.

CustomShopSJ.jpg

Duluthdan, you mention the Luthier's Choice neck. 1.75 " nut sounds right, but what about the profile? I reckon they're about . 85 thick at the first fret and about . 90 at the 9th. with a moderate C shape. Wildwood often posts neck thickness, which I find very helpful. How does that stack up? Thanks for posting. Great looking guitar!

Swang on,

sigh

I was hoping.

Sometimes hope springs eternal, but not this time.

This will be my last post on this forum. Folks who want to e-chat can reach me at johnthomasguitar -at- gmail.com

Archived