Gibson Brands Forums

Late Model Standard Owners. Happy?

Murph

I'm going to lose my '79 Walnut to my oldest son soon, because we made a deal, and don't like the idea of not having an SG. The ES-339 is my #1 now, (I gig heavy, 40/50 weekends a year) and it will mainly be a backup, unless I just get lucky.....

Just curious if ya'll are happy with yours. I'm going to take a road trip soon and consider swapping in the old Tele, as I just can't stomach the sound anymore. Brad Paisley overdose.......

Anything to look out for, ect? I actually like the 490R/498T combo in my daughters new Les Paul Studio. But the 57 Classics in my 339 are special, too.

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

Dont write off the Special, they can be outstanding for not much money. Drop some 57s in there and you are laughing. For me the Standard is too much money for what you get, the Special gets you 90% there for half the price. If I had new Standard money I would buy a used 61 RI, its one of the greatest guitars ever made!

Dont write off the Special' date=' they can be outstanding for not much money. Drop some 57s in there and you are laughing. For me the Standard is too much money for what you get, the Special gets you 90% there for half the price. If I had new Standard money I would buy a used 61 RI, its one of the greatest guitars ever made![/quote']

I agree 100%. I have an 05 special that rocks, great guitar for the money. I also have a 1987 61 reissue that I got used & it is by far my favorite guitar.

I like my standard, it's pretty (at least as pretty as a heritage cherry piece of mahogany can be), but I also have a faded brown special that plays great and was WAAAY cheaper. I know there was another member bad mouthing the faded, but you should take a look at them, especially since it'll be your backup giggin axe. Have you tried a classic, with the P90s? They are very nice and cheaper than the standard. My .02...

well i dont have a standard, but alot of the ones ive played are really nice, in many ways

im just not the biggest fan of the pickup combo, or the large pickguard, and i have seen some standard that didnt have much attention payed to them during manufacturing

i have a 61 reissue and it is the best darn guitar ive ever played,

ive been watching the price on both of these guitars go up and up though which kinda sucks, the standards are being sold for way more than what i got my 61 for 3-4 years ago

i agree with as90, either go for a special and upgrade, or go for the 61

Gotta agree again with the guys who recommended the Special. I just dropped a GFS Mean 90 into the bridge position and it sounds incredible now. I was surprised that a $35 pickup would sound extremely similar to the Classic I played at Guitar Center a few weeks ago, which is also a great guitar. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 498T but if you like it then it would be what, about $5-600 cheaper to buy a Special (an additional $150 cheaper for a Faded Special) and drop a 498T into it.

Thanks all.....

I actually like the binding, inlays, ect., sometimes. I probably have more time than I think, the boy wants to be stable before getting it, he works on the road a lot, construction related, lives in motels, ect., and the guitar is "kind of" sentimental because it was used on the DOUBLE AUGHT CD.

My closest dealer is a day trip by the time you factor in a meal, ect.

I'd like to look at the rosewood, my ES-339 I bought in Sept is pretty nice, but my daughters '08 Studio I bought in Nov. has a pretty loose grain, if ya know what I mean. I mean it's a great player, very toney actually.

I'm gonna have to check into some fretboard conditioner, I've not had to do that before this year, I dont really mess with the ebony.

Best to ya.

Murph.

I have an 04 Standard and I love it. I upgraded the pickups because the stock ones were a little meaty for my taste but the guitar itself is amazing. I wouldn't get a special because the frets tend to stick out the side and hurt your fingers. I love the standard because its so super expensive so you can find a good one used and upgrade it to exactly what you want while still have an excellent instrument.

Archived