Gibson Brands Forums

Share a little about the "Gibson Acoustic Advanced Jumbo - Antique Natural"

onewilyfool

I recently traded my J-45 for a Gibson Acoustic Advanced Jumbo - Antique Natural. I must say that the AJ is a much different beast than the J-45…….A little more PUNCH, a little brighter, better note separation, good for strumming and finger style. I was amazed how light it was for a rosewood model, and I DO like the long scale for down tuning one or two steps. This is SUCH a different guitar than a Martin D-28 for example. None of the ringing ovetones that usually come with Rosewood Jumbos. As a matter of fact, this guitar sounds really good in percussive style, which I could NEVER do on a D-28. All in all….a great guitar, VERY different than the J-45, but also complimentary. I kind of like that this one has a natural top, I don't know how they do it in the factory, but his one has BEAUTIFUL Sitka top with lots of silking across the grain. I think that's why they may have not burst this one. I don't think Gibson has a standard AJ in their regular production at this time, but if you can find one, check it out. Bring along your J-45 for comparison….I think you may be impressed!!

Here is a blurb:

Gibson Acoustic Advanced Jumbo - Antique Natural

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLAJANNH

Welcome back! (Missed the laughs.)

edit: Almost forgot; oh yeah, the AJ: A nice contrast to the J-45, you're right about the less overtones than the sq shoulder Martin rosewood dreads, but I like the short scale J-45 for it's more intimate sound, and shorter stretches for fretting when not flatpicking.

Hey Wily, good to see you post.

And congrats on your AJ natural finish. They must've run a few because I've seen a couple other naturals around.

That's a nice review. You seem very taken with the Sitka & Rosewood combo. From your comments, sounds like you've played a few styles on it and really like how it responds. Glad your trade worked out so well for you. . B)

Very nice, been thinking about a AJ myself actually.

How do you find the AJ differs from the D-28 (HD-28)?

I've had both…I found the D-28 had so many overtones, that it "muddied" the guitar when strummed or strummed hard..The AJ doesn't do that..I like the AJ wider neck, the AJ "woodier" sound….Let me put it this way, I would NOT trade this AJ for a D-28…..lol

I know what you mean about the silking on these natural top AJ's, mine has heavy silking as well. And your review is spot on with how mine plays as well. Mine has a build date of August 2006 and every time I pick it up I marvel at the workman ship that went into building it.

Curt

I've had my AJ for over 11 years and I honestly think a great one is one of the best sounding, powerful & versatile guitars around. They are not all great, some just good.

Owned many Gibsons & Martins, still have an old J-45 that I love but the AJ gets most play. To me a plain old Gibson on steroids.

Archived