Gibson Brands Forums

epicphones anyone?

nikko18

hey just for all you other epiphone users on the forum (i know you're out there). post some pics of your epiphone, let us see what the look like. and how do they hold up against your gibsons?

here's mine.

myguitar.jpg

myguitar2.jpg

myguitar3.jpg

and no one redirect me to the epiphone forum 8-[

i use the gibson forum!

Since I'm too lazy to take more pics of my Epi, these'll have to do:

IMG_0077.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

It's an Epi G-400 Standard, but I modified it to Gibson 61 RI specs (57 Classic and Classic plus pickups, Grover tuners, etc.) I find that the playability is almost nearly as good as my 07 Gibson LP Standard, and the 57s put out a pretty good tone- but the overall sound is nowhere near my Les Paul. Distorted it holds up pretty well, but clean my LP blows it out of the water. I also prefer the beefy tone of my LP. Overall, the Epi is a great guitar; just not as good as my Gibson.

I have 2 Epi's and they play great. The Elitist Dot is as good as any Gibson ES-335

Moderne

Dadsguitars_0021.jpg

Wow i havent seen a Moderne in forever hows it play?

It plays great! In fact it plays better than I thought it would. I saw it at Mars a few years back and wanted it for the looks if nothing else. It was the last one they had at the store (on sale too).

It has a certain bite on the bridge pickup - not a hard bite, but something more like slowly sinking your teeth in. The neck pup is warm. Over all it has a good balance in tone. I really love this guitar and would hate to part with it, of course it is just wood with some metal attatched to it, but I'd still hate to loose her.

Its very nice its just i dont like the color of the pickups

the neck pickup actually has a gold cover now, but i like leaving the bridge uncovered. i didn't get to get it to get it back from the shop today like i had hoped though :'[

I have this one: epi special II (1990s) highly moded... it was originally black with samsung (stock) pickups (yes they had samsung written on them) and had cheap crome hardware...

Took me more than 10 years to mod it completely, because I started doing things and then some more... and then some more... I wasnt in a hurry, I have decided it will be my future son/daugther's first guitar.

Mods in chronological order

Gold gibson hardware (bridge, stop tail, tuners)

Gold back neckplate (no brand)

Gold switch, jackplate, and strap buttons (no brand)

Refinish: white (last pic)

Gibson pickups (57)

EMG active pickup set (zakk wylde set)

Changed switch position to "clasic" gibson position

Gold Schaller roller bridge and fine tunning tailpiece

Gold Schaller straplocks

Graph tech nut

Gibson custom TRC (moded the headstock for 2 screw trc)

Refinish: a strange burst (black on the edge and turns to orange-ish that lets you see the "wood")

I guess it costed about 500 bucks to mod this 150 buck guitar... all in all it is better than most 500-650 buck guitars I have played...

My gibson beats the sh-t out of it any day of the week.

My tele beats the crap out of it any time.

My pther guitars? The ones above 700 are slightly better... the ones below 350 are sh-t compared to this cheap korean epi...

ok, ok, ok... pics (she's the second, after the parker fly deluxe, at the end there are a couple of pics of when she was white):

IMG_5810.jpg

Imagen010.jpg

Imagen015.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

hf7iDg239325-02.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

I have this one: epi special II (1990s) highly moded... it was originally black with samsung (stock) pickups (yes they had samsung written on them) and had cheap crome hardware...

My Epi LP 100 also had Samsung pickups ! :-$

I put in some Gibson 57's and added a decent pair of tuners

1995%20Epiphone%20LP100%20-%2001%20-%20Small.jpg

1995%20Epiphone%20LP100%20-%2003%20-%20Small.jpg

djroge1 - I said something similar about Sheratons on the Epiphone forum and got flailed.

My fellow Epiphone lovers, you owe it to yourselves to check out the Epiphone forum down below these Gibson forums, and also the more civilised Epi-Wiki you will see mentioned there too.....

my guitar actually came with that one when i got it (just the parts that were upgraded on the guitar when i bought were probably worth more then 99 dollars. the fine tuning tail piece and the seymour duncan bridge pup >=D>) it's going to be gone when i pick her up from the shop after school today though. replaced with a gold bigsby m/0_0m/

i am thinking about raplacing the seymour pup too, probably with a 57 classic, i really love how those sound.

djroge1 - I said something similar about Sheratons on the Epiphone forum and got flailed.

My fellow Epiphone lovers' date=' you owe it to yourselves to check out the Epiphone forum down below these Gibson forums, and also the more civilised Epi-Wiki you will see mentioned there too.....[/quote']

I assume you're talking about when I said I would put my Elitist Dot up agains any Gibby 335? I suspect some may think it's crazy and belongs in the epi forum, but for me it is what it is.

I was saving for a 335 - I played many at local shops for the past few years. I was completly sold out on getting a 335 and in fact I really wanted the Larry Carlton model 335. Then someone suggested the Epi Elitist and I sort of laughed to myself, but I did investigate and read all of the reviews I could find and compared what people said about both the Gibby 335 and the Epi elitist. I discovered there were more people happy with their Epi than there were people with the 335. That could simply mean that only the complainers wrote reviews - I don't know.

Long story short - After playing the elitist I say it can stand its own ground against any stock 335 for both quality and sound. they even put real pearl and a real bone nut on the elitist while the gibson uses pearloid and plastic. The elitist pups are made by Gibson. The finish and frets are flawless. When comparing the two guitars all you are really paying for is the name Gibson.

Having said all of this, I would still love to have that Mr. 335 Gibson model.

Well I have a few.

I have an eb-o bass

An Epiphone dot

But here's one many of you may not have seen,its a 1979 Epiphone sc-550 scroll.This one actually is much better quality that epi's of today.I'd say its very close to Gibson quality.It does,however,have a very distinctive look to it which you will either love or hate.It sounds great,thin ,very fast neck,single coil tap switch.It also has 24 frets

1903264326_df2b336cc3_o.jpg

djroge1 - you assume wrong.....

I mean when somebody was humming and hawing about Sheraton or ES-335 and I said as far as playing feel and tone went, save your pennies and go Epiphone.....

My mistake to have even had an opinion. There are some real touchy folk down there.

Your lambasting was along the same lines though, and with the same results - we both expressed an opinion based on our own hands on experiences - and got whupped for our troubles..... kinda cooler around these parts, ain't it.

djroge1 - you assume wrong.....

I mean when somebody was humming and hawing about Sheraton or ES-335 and I said as far as playing feel and tone went' date=' save your pennies and go Epiphone.....

My mistake to have even had an opinion. There are some real touchy folk down there.

[i']Your[/i] lambasting was along the same lines though, and with the same results - we both expressed an opinion based on our own hands on experiences - and got whupped for our troubles..... kinda cooler around these parts, ain't it.

Yeah sorry about that - I guess I should specifically asked what you were referring to. Oddly, no body here has flamed me for saying great things about the elite dot. So yeah it's sort of nice.

Took me more than 10 years to mod it completely' date=' because I started doing things and then some more... and then some more... I wasnt in a hurry, I have decided it will be my future son/daugther's first guitar.

Mods in chronological order

Gold gibson hardware (bridge, stop tail, tuners)

Gold back neckplate (no brand)

Gold switch, jackplate, and strap buttons (no brand)

Refinish: white (last pic)

Gibson pickups (57)

EMG active pickup set (zakk wylde set)

Changed switch position to "clasic" gibson position

Gold Schaller roller bridge and fine tunning tailpiece

Gold Schaller straplocks

Graph tech nut

Gibson custom TRC (moded the headstock for 2 screw trc)

Refinish: a strange burst (black on the edge and turns to orange-ish that lets you see the "wood")

I guess it costed about 500 bucks to mod this 150 buck guitar... all in all it is better than most 500-650 buck guitars I have played...

My gibson beats the sh-t out of it any day of the week.

My tele beats the crap out of it any time.

My pther guitars? The ones above 700 are slightly better... the ones below 350 are sh-t compared to this cheap korean epi...

ok, ok, ok... pics (she's the second, after the parker fly deluxe, at the end there are a couple of pics of when she was white):

[img']http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/thundergod_5/IMG_5810.jpg[/img]

Imagen010.jpg

Imagen015.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

hf7iDg239325-02.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

I can't make out the writing on that guitar rack,is that the warwick guitar rack?and if so,do you set your Gibsons on it for long periods with no nitro damage.I have the warwick 7 guitar rack,looks very similiar to one in photo.At first I covered it with a material that I knew would not react with the nitro finish,but as of lately I took the material off and set my guitars on there for short periods while playing.I watch carefull and so far no damage,but am curious if those warwick racks are nitro safe?

Well I have a few.

I have an eb-o bass

An Epiphone dot

But here's one many of you may not have seen' date='its a 1979 Epiphone sc-550 scroll.This one actually is much better quality that epi's of today.I'd say its very close to Gibson quality.It does,however,have a very distinctive look to it which you will either love or hate.It sounds great,thin ,very fast neck,single coil tap switch.It also has 24 frets

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/1903264326_df2b336cc3_o.jpg[/img]

That looks pretty cool actually. Is it comfortable though?

Well I have a few.

I have an eb-o bass

An Epiphone dot

But here's one many of you may not have seen' date='its a 1979 Epiphone sc-550 scroll.This one actually is much better quality that epi's of today.I'd say its very close to Gibson quality.It does,however,have a very distinctive look to it which you will either love or hate.It sounds great,thin ,very fast neck,single coil tap switch.It also has 24 frets

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/1903264326_df2b336cc3_o.jpg[/img]

guitar_randy thanks for posting the scroll I have one that looks almost exactly like yours in the back of a closet in the studio I hadn't even thought about it in years.

retro surfer could i have your scroll??? x] i'm actually not really sure if i like them or not, but i love that type of epi headstock. i think all epi's should have headstocks in that shape, the regular one that is like a gibson with the spikes cut off is kinda dumb looking i think. thoses ones look cool though

here we go! i now have some pics of my guitar with my brand new bigsby (there's new tuners too but you don't notice them as much). here's some pics, sorry about the qaulity they are from my webcam. next time i see my grandpa i will take some pics with his really nice camera (he took those to of my LP that are like high definition).

so anyways here they are.

myguitar4.jpg

here's a couple of it in action m/0_0m/

me2.jpg

me1.jpg

Archived