Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - non gibson

Dave F

Seeing all the Koa customs on the forum got me hankerin' for one.

The ones I could see locally did not impress me.

I would have ordered a custom from Gibson but they were not accepting orders.

I also like Martins and their quality so I ordered one with some of the features I like about Gibson.

Koa top. I want the top to look better than the back. I opted for the Figured Koa (Highly Figured)

1/4" scalloped bracing. I asked around and everyone said the bracing can really kill the sound of a Koa top. All recommended the thinner scalloped. They were right.

1.75 nut - My favorite Gibson width.

Low Profile neck. I have a couple Martins and have had a few others. This profile is close enough to my Gibsons and I have it on my D28EP

Short Scale. My favorite thing about most Gibsons.

BODY SIZE: 0000- 14 Fret Venetian Cutaway. Better access up the neck. Jumbo body shallower depth. Very comfortable.

Jumbo frets. Easier to barre with my old hands.

IMG_0303_zpse1c6c143.jpg

IMG_0311_zps075ed57c.jpg

IMG_0312_zps2ebaafa2.jpg

IMG_0301_zps5e90757b.jpg

Wow...that is a whole lotta Koa goin' on. Koa headstock overlay, as well? The drama train just pulled in to Dave's house... but then again, it's been to your house before -

89c8c735-69b4-424f-a7d6-ca82ff177991_zps85b388d2.png

Happy NGD - congrats and enjoy!

ps- what was your turn around time with Martin? Can they build me (us) a Gibson Slope 12 fret hog? (waiting for Gibson to build customs again, too)

I'm pretty sure you could spec out a 12 fret hog.

I ordered this the last of October '13 and got it this week

I thought Big G was not taking orders for customs at this time(?). The only contemporary Gibson 'hog 12-fret I know of is the Jackson Browne "prototype" that JannusGuy (Rob) has. 'Still got that one Rob? Does it have the deep body & 1.812 nut like the JB?

Archived