Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson 's have NitroCellulose finish ?

tkjtkj

the topic says it all .. A new 'stand' from Musician's Friend ('Guitar Gear' tag) warns not to use it for any

instrument having a nitrocellulose finish ...

Apparently, the foam 'exudes' or iteracts with such a finish ... WHAT a stupid 'marketing feature'!!

Is the Chinese 're-issue' SB 400 a nitro guitar??

pic attached ... ( Oooops! weird that a 640x pic is 'Too Big to Upload' hear!! Sorry! )

Don't quote me but, I think all Gibby's have a nitro finish. That said, I won't trust any stand that has foam on any of my guitars, regardless of finish. I've had "burns" in a tung oil finish neck, the back of my MIM Strat neck, etc. I wrap every piece of foam with a couple of layers of cotton gauze tape. Not really pretty, but it works.

Don't quote me but, I think all Gibby's have a nitro finish. That said, I won't trust any stand that has foam on any of my guitars, regardless of finish. I've had "burns" in a tung oil finish neck, the back of my MIM Strat neck, etc. I wrap every piece of foam with a couple of layers of cotton gauze tape. Not really pretty, but it works.

Correct. I think the only exception is the sparkling layer put on gold tops and giving them their name.

If you are referring to your "SG 400" Epiphone's version of the SG "solid guitar" made in China, that has a post which you have asked some questions about, that guitar does not have a nitro cellulose finish. It has a polyurethane finish.

Yeah, all Gibsons are nitro.. Epis are poly..

I can attest to the effects of rubber on a nitro finish... For some reason I forgot to put some cotton on the back part of the stand where the back of the guitar touches it.. and this is what happened with in a week on my, at the time, brand new 60s Tribute studio goldtop.

2012-03-07143544.jpg

2012-03-07143607.jpg

I've looked for the photo I have of the "bleach" mark burned into the tung oil finish on the neck of my Carvin, but can't find it. That said, foam is not your friend, regardless of the finish on your guitar IMHO of course.

Interesting timing. I just glued some felt from a cheap blanket I bought yesterday on the foam areas of 2 guitars stands I am using. I cut the blanket into 3" X "15" pieces & wrapped them around the foam areas, gluing them in place so they would stay. I had been using some small microfiber towels to cover the foam areas but they were getting aggrevating keeping in place. I had the Les Paul on a conventional stand, but looking at it, it seemed unsturdy & I could visualize the guitar falling over & snapping the headstock. So, yesterday I bought a heavy duty stand, so hence, the black blanket & wrapping the foam areas! Feel better about the stability of the guitar in it's new stand home & it looks much better than throwing some towels over the foam areas.

Sure am glad I found out about the foam being a devourer of the finish on Gibsons right after I bought the Les Paul last year. Hate to think what may have happened if the foam were left to destroy the finish. ...Thank you Gibson forum for the info!! eusa_clap.gif

It has a polystyrene finish.

No, it does not have a Styrofoam (polystyrene) finish, I believe you meant a "polyurethane" finish, BIG difference!

OK, back to the OP.... Why would ANYBODY sell a guitar stand that was NOT nitro-safe, it's about $0.10 worth of foam. I don't get it! If we as consumers quit buying this Chinese crap, maybe they'll stop importing it.

No, it does not have a Styrofoam (polystyrene) finish, I believe you meant a "polyurethane" finish, BIG difference!

OK, back to the OP.... Why would ANYBODY sell a guitar stand that was NOT nitro-safe, it's about $0.10 worth of foam. I don't get it! If we as consumers quit buying this Chinese crap, maybe they'll stop importing it.

dig it

I don't get this, too. Considering that nitro-safe stands are safe for ALL finishes, it's a no-brainer for me buying nitro-safe exclusively.

Thing is people (including you and I) will then bitc* about paying $100 (£75) or more for a guitar stand cos that's what a good ol' US or UK/EU manufactured one (with the associated labour costs, taxes and red tape) would cost.

Plus don't blame the Chinese manufacturers - they only produce what their US or UK/EU customers ask them to.

Thing is people (including you and I) will then bitc* about paying $100 (£75) or more for a guitar stand cos that's what a good ol' US or UK/EU manufactured one (with the associated labour costs, taxes and red tape) would cost.

Plus don't blame the Chinese manufacturers - they only produce what their US or UK/EU customers ask them to.

Agree on these statements, but I think it's bad when some expensive stands were offered as nitro-safe, and later appeared to be not, regardless what country of origin. [thumbdn]

Agree on these statements, but I think it's bad when some expensive stands were offered as nitro-safe, and later appeared to be not, regardless what country of origin. [thumbdn]

100% in agreement

the topic says it all .. A new 'stand' from Musician's Friend ('Guitar Gear' tag) warns not to use it for any

instrument having a nitrocellulose finish ...

Apparently, the foam 'exudes' or iteracts with such a finish ... WHAT a stupid 'marketing feature'!!

Is the Chinese 're-issue' SB 400 a nitro guitar??

pic attached ... ( Oooops! weird that a 640x pic is 'Too Big to Upload' hear!! Sorry! )

This problem existed long before we became dependent on China for everything we buy so that isn't the issue. I had heard about this quite a long time ago but didn't have a nitro finished guitar at the time.

My Gibson SG's previous owner must have used a bad wallhanger because it has a scab on either side of the neck near the headstock. Never noticed until I had already had it for a while and you can't see it from the front.

I read one time on the forum that someone used bicycle tape (for wrapping handlebars) on the foam areas of their guitar stands. Would this be safe for a Les Paul?

I just wrapped mine with felt from a blanket but it is a slippery material when you put the guitar on it & I need something with a bit of grip.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thx!

I read one time on the forum that someone used bicycle tape (for wrapping handlebars) on the foam areas of their guitar stands. Would this be safe for a Les Paul?

I just wrapped mine with felt from a blanket but it is a slippery material when you put the guitar on it & I need something with a bit of grip.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thx!

I think you have to be careful with any plastics...

I always use an old cotton tshirt (usually a black one)... and make sure its an old one that's been washed many times so any dye left in the fabric has come out.. Like even an old sock would probably do :)

Archived