Gibson Brands Forums

Diabetic Players

Randmo

I'm sure there are several players with diabetes. I've only been playing about 3 months and my fingers are still tender, I have calluses built up, but they get quite sore if I play too long, they aren't sore to the touch, sometimes I swear I have nerve damage, but I love learning and playing. We diabetics must watch our extremities, and we don't heal very fast either. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on taking care of fingers, I would be lost if I couldn't play.

Randmo, the only way to protect against damage to your extremity's is through good control of your blood sugar levels in order to lessen the likelihood of Diabetic Neuropathy, it's as simple as that. I've seen so many Diabetics who go into denial about their condition and disregard medical advice.

After 50 years of Type 1 Diabetes I've never so far had to give special consideration to my hands, and hope (touch wood) that that remains the case.

Good luck,

Ian

With me it is that pins and needless sensation most often in my left hand pinkie and ring finger. Does not hurt but annoying as all heck. In fact, I have it going on right now. So in addition to taking a little friendly pill, I have been being extremely careful with what I eat.

Excellent topic, Randmo. Thanks for pulling me in from The Twilight Zone for a while. I'm aware of many of the problems diabetics can have, but I'd never given much thought to them in regards to playing a guitar. I appreciate the enlightenment and am now even more thankful for what I have. [thumbup]

I'm sure there are several players with diabetes. We diabetics must watch our extremities, and we don't heal very fast either. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on taking care of fingers, I would be lost if I couldn't play.

Type 2 here. I am very vigilant with finger care(and foot care), and also get finger tip pain with over playing. I use "Curel" lotion many times everyday for the hands and address any cuts, etc. immediately. Stay on top of your whole, health condition...and never stop playing![thumbup]

Thankfully the bit of pins and needles I have are in my toes. But once in a while my finger tips get a bit tender, even with good calluses. I've found for me, it's better not to have too long of a break from playing. Sometimes just a few days of layoff is all it takes to create tenderness when I return to playing. So I try not to skip more than two or three days. Another thing I watch is skin dryness, a problem for some diabetics, and particularly for me in the winter. Nothing worse that a dry crack on a finger, especially on the fingering hand. Currently my doctor is allowing me to go by my A1c number. Previously testing with lancets was a real pain - hoping I can continue avoid that.

Thankfully the bit of pins and needles I have are in my toes. But once in a while my finger tips get a bit tender, even with good calluses. I've found for me, it's better not to have too long of a break from playing. Sometimes just a few days of layoff is all it takes to create tenderness when I return to playing. So I try not to skip more than two or three days. Another thing I watch is skin dryness, a problem for some diabetics, and particularly for me in the winter. Nothing worse that a dry crack on a finger, especially on the fingering hand. Currently my doctor is allowing me to go by my A1c number. Previously testing with lancets was a real pain - hoping I can continue avoid that.

Appreciate the advice, especially as I received my official membership card only last week.

Have had occasional soreness, but now I will make a point not to let more than a day or two go by.

Is what it is....

+1 IanHenry

It takes a long time for fingers/muscles to develop when you begin playing acous guitar. I've been on insulin for over 20yrs and never had a problem. BB King used to do ads for a testing meter, I assure you he doesn't prick the tip of his finger, as the ad led to believe, but the pad of his finger tip. sweet bb

Another +1 for IanHenry. I'm 68, had Type 2 diabetes since the early 90's. I have been playing for a lot longer than that and honestly don't have any hand problems. I try to stay on top of foot care. Stepped on a nail a couple of years are and it scared me, but it healed fine.

My doctor told me "Diabetes is not bad. High blood sugar is bad". You can have diabetes for a long time with minimal effects if you control your blood sugar. It really sucks sometimes not be able to eat and drink whatever I want, but it beats the alternative. Play on!

Rich

Archived