Gibson Brands Forums

Another orphan Gibson found me

ksdaddy

Ever go to the animal shelter and there's a cat with one runny eye, half an ear bitten off, and a hacking cough? And you know you shouldn't adopt it, and you probably don't.... but it always nags at you.... that poor little cat didn't deserve the life it was dealt.

Or Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

Or a 1969 Gibson C-L.

Stuff like this will be the death of me, I swear. There's no profit potential here at all, ever. But it needs me. I am compelled to do my duty.

There will be no magic transformation here. A new bridge will either be procured or made from scratch, the sanded lacquer around the "new" bridge will be airbrushed with clear lacquer and blended in the hopes of disguising the abuse. The patina, dings, scratches, war wounds, will all remain.... only the transgressions brought about by some ignorant person (God bless them anyway) will be rectified.

I shall leave a trail of bread crumbs on my way in.

Gibson equivalent of a sick animal shelter cat

...only the transgressions brought about by some ignorant person (God bless them anyway) will be rectified.....

Don't look at it as abuse. Just someone doing the best he could to patch it up and keep the little begger playing until a better surgeon becomes available. Call them 'field medics.'

There will be no magic transformation here. A new bridge will either be procured or made from scratch, the sanded lacquer around the "new" bridge will be airbrushed with clear lacquer and blended in the hopes of disguising the abuse. The patina, dings, scratches, war wounds, will all remain.... only the transgressions brought about by some ignorant person (God bless them anyway) will be rectified.

Ksdaddy always reminds of the car wreck scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High":

"Relax, alright?

My old man is a television repairman.

He's go this ultimate set of tools.

I can fix it!

Jeff Spicoli

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool.

Glad to know I ain't the only easy touch when it comes to unwanted and much abused geetars. My most recent is a mid-1950s Epiphone FT-79. Want to get it gig worthy and will worry about the cosmetics later on.

It is a good feeling taking one of these once beautiful guitars and bringing it back to do what it was designed and built to.

This is truly a heart warming story. I have a soft spot for repaired guitars. They seem to sound better and I think that is because they were "rescued" and are grateful and thus sound better. My F-25 was in kind of sad shape when I got it - not like the C-L - but the top had been poorly refinished with some kind of acrylic finish which I left. It had signs of other abuse but after some caressing and soothing it has rewarded me by being just about the finest sounding guitar I have ever heard. That C-L sounds fantastic I would guess.

I wish I could say that. It sounds okay, not fantastic. It is ladder braced like an LG so it's not as responsive with nylon strings (real classicals are fan braced and very lightly at that!). The bass strings sustain forever but the trebles make it sound like a kid's guitar. I'm tempted to put silk & steel strings on it. The worst that would happen is the bridge wouldn't hold... the top is braced for steel and the neck shouldn't move in spite of lack of truss rod....(?) no adjustable rod anyway, no idea if it's reinforced.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's gone now. All is fixed, it has a clean bill of health, it will last another 40 years. It's off to Ireland and I used the money to buy a '69 Ovation 12 string. Gotta spread the love, ya know.

Refugee from Glen's Goodtime Hour

They talk Pre-CBS Fenders, Pre-Norlin Gibson, pre-war Martin.... this one is the Ovation version of "pre" as it had the hand laid fiberglass bowl, not tupperware like the newer ones. Woo-hoo! Vintage fiberglass!

Gibson copied Ovation's design for the pinless bridge and used them on the J-40. Ovation sued Gibson and the J40 has now attained status as a 'lawsuit' model and has therefore tripled in ebay value.

To J-40 sellers: You're Welcome.

Well' date=' it's gone now. All is fixed, it has a clean bill of health, it will last another 40 years. It's off to Ireland and I used the money to buy a '69 Ovation 12 string. Gotta spread the love, ya know.

Refugee from Glen's Goodtime Hour

They talk Pre-CBS Fenders, Pre-Norlin Gibson, pre-war Martin.... this one is the Ovation version of "pre" as it had the hand laid fiberglass bowl, not tupperware like the newer ones. Woo-hoo! Vintage fiberglass!

So by now it ought to have 'opened up.'

You been over to the Ovationfanclub..com? They might be able to help you rationalize the purchase.

Be sure to wash and polish your Volvo and Birkenstocks before venturing over there. Just to be sure, wear your IZOD polo. Blue is nice this time of year. Too early for white you know.

Too, Spock ears and Federation apparel might be appropot. They keep talkin' about the "Mother Ship" kindy gives me the creeps. O:)

(cough) I am a member over there too.

I don't spend a lot of time over there. No animosity, just.... I dunno, I'm not "one of the guys".

My biggest reason to own an old Ovation is just nostalgia I guess, what with me being eight or nine and impressionable when Glen Campbell and John Hartford jammed severely every week (Wednesday night was it??). That and the Great Ovation Panic of 1980 when you could NOT turn on the freakin' TV without seeing Tom T Hall, Larry Gatlin, The Statler Brothers, Mac Davis, Eddie Rabbit and pile of others all playing them. I suppose it was a fad just like anything else. I feel sorry for them in a way, getting swallowed up by FMIC and all.... not what Charlie Kaman envisioned I'm sure.

I am a card carr... I mean Card in the sock drawer member over there as well.

I joined to get information about my 'Ovulation' - Applause. Talk about a red-haired step-child. Askin' or talkin' about an Applause amongst the Ovulation crowd is worse than talkin' C.F.Mutton guit tars on the Gibson Pages:

My "O":

TommyK_64531_100_0201_50pct.jpg

Her Name is Otilda. Named after my great Aunt Otilda. I call her Tillie for short.

She's an AE-33. Not much info out there about this model. May have come by way of Australia as there was some Australian guit tar shop papers in the tool box.

She was a junque shop rescue. The owner's brother had a $180.00 price tag on her. I pointed out the lifted bridge and busted brace. I think we settled on $75.00. Whomever strung her up last used steels and got the strings all mixed up on the tuners. I don't think he had any of them right.

I think it's got a wood neck, or darn good wood fakery applied to the ubiuitous aluminium necks.

Archived