Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson Acoustic do you regret letting go?

onewilyfool

Didn't let it go, but I regret not buying a Cheryl Crow Signature model a year ago. It was hanging in my local shop and I could have had it for a discounted price. Unfortunately I couldn't justify it financially at the time. It was purchased shortly thereafter. It was a beast of a guitar. Someday perhaps I'll run across another one...

Same here kebob. When I was shopping for a SJ, I could have gotten a Sheryl Crow with an Adi top, but ended up with a TV. Down the road, I purchased an AJ Red Spruce and after enjoying the adi top so much I now regret letting that SC SJ get away.

My first Gibson:

A 1948 L-48, purchased in the early '70s.

Solid arched mahogany top,

solid mahogany back & sides,

but with a flat & braced back

(like a flat-top acoustic).

Rather unique, and a lovely tone.

My Heritage Custom. It was the sweetest, mellowest, warmest guitar I ever heard. But it didn't project real well, and my partner's D-18 sort of drowned it out. So it went down the road for the HD-28 I stll own. I kept track of it for a long time, and vowed I'd buy it back one day. But it's long gone now...

Heritage_zpsb52eebe3.jpg

My first Gibson:

A 1948 L-48, purchased in the early '70s.

Solid arched mahogany top,

solid mahogany back & sides,

but with a flat & braced back

(like a flat-top acoustic).

Rather unique, and a lovely tone.

Well I had the chance of owning a CJ165 with a maple back and sides. I liked it but thought I would check the market first,then decided to go for it but it was sold. I have never seen one since and that's four years ago. I now have a CJ165 Rosewood not many of these about either.

OWF, Wow. That J200K was a beauty. I feel your pain. Only thing worse than 'Buyer's Remorse' is 'Seller's Remorse'. You can fix the former by selling the offending guitar. But you can't fix the latter. Easily.

I had a Gibson C0-1 classical I traded in after a year for the only other Gibson I ever got rid of. A ('64 LG1 bought new. I don't regret it - miss it, yes - but I have had the good fortune to replace it with 3 'better' Gibsons.

I miss a '75 Corvette I got with many miles on it - but I don't regret selling it. I now have a vehicle that is only 2 years old, actually has Air Conditioning (!), is faster, supremely dependable, etc. So - I feel like the Corvette was just a phase I had to go through to better appreciate cars and trucks that would come to me down the road. So - that LG1 opened up the whole world of music for me.

Archived